Australian Christian Lobby Joins the Fight Against R18+ Game Ratings

Baggie

Sep 3, 2009
Oh FFS...

PLEASE TO BE KEEPING MY RELIGION OUT OF YOUR POLITICAL ASPIRATIONS ACP.

Ignorant Bastards.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I know very little about Australian politics, but it seems you Aussies have given up on the battle before it's begun. Mr Atkinson and co would be facing an election fairly soon. (November 24 IIRC.)

This is a good thing - it gives you all time to come up with a plan of electoral attack. Decide amongst yourself which party you can ALL vote for - and come voting day, let those Ballot Bullets fly!

Keep petitioning your DAs / MPs for the R18 - with gamers in one ear and MPs on the other, Mr Atkinson is going to have a headache for the rest of his political career if he carries on the way he's doing now. Continue to kick up a total stink and continue to make cohesive and sensible arguments for all and sundry. (Politicians tend to suck up to large groups of voters come election time.)

A second plan of attack is to do as the Americans did with the rather unpopular prohibition. Seek the black aid of the black market or an internet copy. It'll be a nightmare to get hold of uncensored versions and nigh on impossible to get console versions - but it IS possible.

Thirdly, admit defeat and seek to emigrate. Britain has some nice relaxed laws when it comes to gaming, as do the Americans.

guardian1uk

Jan 30, 2010
so push back and push for them to be banned from using the words "the one true god" permantly
"because improving technology results in ever-more-sophisticated games that are thus more likely to cause harm" funny the words "The one true god" have cause more harm than anything else in history... ban em from using it... :)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
People can choke on food sometimes too, shall we ban eating while we're at it?

I feel sorry for you lot down under

mambodog

Jul 8, 2009
as an australian... this makes me pretty bummed. we've got enough opposition to deal with just in terms of public ignorance of the issue (ie. most australians aren't even aware there isn't an r18+ rating for games).

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
So... I'm putting together a petition to ban people from driving. Research has shown that people who drive will defiantly run someone over or cause traffic accidents. Also, if a parent owns a vehicle, there is a chance that the child will try and drive off in the vehicle and cause more property damage.

There we go, I've just proven that cars are more dangerous that violent video games, and anyone that says different is just out to get me.

AlchemicalGod

May 19, 2009
Wow.... The Church... banning violence.... Yeah their history of burning witches, and shoving 'Non believers' into Iron Maidens, atests to thier non-violent stance.... wow...

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Clearly Atkinson and his mind slaves don't want to go back to the good old days where violent criminals roamed the streets stabbing and mugging each other. Since its scientifically proven (putting it in bold makes it true) that violent games will turn teh childrinz into mindless stabbing and shooting machines.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
well now it seems that i have another target for my mental waves of hatred. Currently it is split between Atkinson, Thompson, and stupid people.

salamarian

Aug 3, 2009
People are "pro-censorship"? Really? I'm pretty sure I like the government way the heck away from my stuff, but apparently that's just me.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Pyromaniac1337 said:
For God sakes...

STOP MAKING US GOOD CHRISTIANS LOOK BAD YA BLOODY EXTREMISTS.
This x9000. It's people like the ACL that make me ashamed to call myself a Christian. BTW: For all Catholics out there, my pastor said that violent video games are not bad as long as the player can tell the difference between real and virtual. SUCK ON THAT, ACL!
And you needed an old man in a funny robe to tell you common sense logic because......

Come on! You knew that before the old man in the funny robe told you that.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Pyromaniac1337 said:
For God sakes...

STOP MAKING US GOOD CHRISTIANS LOOK BAD YA BLOODY EXTREMISTS.
This x9000. It's people like the ACL that make me ashamed to call myself a Christian. BTW: For all Catholics out there, my pastor said that violent video games are not bad as long as the player can tell the difference between real and virtual. SUCK ON THAT, ACL!
And you needed an old man in a funny robe to tell you common sense logic because......

Come on! You knew that before the old man in the funny robe told you that.
I always knew that. I just wanted my pastor to back it up so that I can legitimately shoot down fundimentalist christians who say video games are sinful. And he's only 48.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Seriously, why have they stepped in? If they knew there own Religious History, they'd know that up until ONE person in the religion said "grr, sex and violance, big nono" it was all the rage in Christianity.
And anyway, surely the point of a rating is that it allows the game to be released, protects the people too young to play the game and gives the people old enough a choice of whether or not to play.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Oh for God's sake, this is turining into a war. Everyone should just get the fuck out of Australia, 'cause it doesn't look like anything short of a coup will fix this.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Aby_Z said:
Oh what a surprise, the Christians hate gaming too...
Come to a Korean Church. I promise you you'll hear Star Craft or War Craft at least once

OT:Once again, they try and stop a Multi-Million Industry, by using god...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Here's what my head does when more bad news about Australia's gaming industry surfaces

Cripes it feels like the "for the children" nut bags over there are a force neigh unstoppable. If only I lived there, I'd be organizing a force of gamers to flex their political muscle big time.

The Million Nerd march, right up to Atkinson's door step. Where's we'd shamelessly re-tool MLK's "I have a dream" speech into a pro R18 speech.