Australian Government Slows R18+ Rating Process

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Australian Government Slows R18+ Rating Process

The Australian government has put the brakes on the process of establishing an R18+ videogame rating because, believe it or not, there's actually too much support for it among gamers.

Oh, Australia. We owe you such a debt. Your spastic flailing over mature videogame ratings has provided the rest of the world with an overabundance of hilarity, and just when it seems like the laughs are about to come to an end [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98200-Australians-Overwhelmingly-Support-R18-Rating] you manage to trip over your own feet and give us what may be the best faceplant yet.

The Australian government, as you probably already know, launched a "public consultation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96839-Australian-Government-Seeks-Public-Input-Into-R18-Game-Ratings]" late last year in response to a growing demand for an R18+ rating for videogames. The idea was to collect submissions from the public in order to gauge whether or not demand for such a rating exists and then, one would assume, respond accordingly. Groups on both sides of the debate took up the fight but as you might expect, the pro-gamer side dominated; so completely, in fact, that the country's censorship ministers have decided to delay the proceedings to make sure other people get a say.

That's right, Australia: You supported the R18+ rating too much. You demanded it and now, you're not going to get it.

Because 86 percent of the 59,678 submissions to the consultation came from either EB Games or the R18+ support group Grow Up Australia [http://www.growupaustralia.com/], the ministers decided that "further work needs to be done before a decision can be made" and have "requested further analysis of community and expert views." The office of Federal Home Affairs Minister Brendan O'Connor agreed that because the process was dominated by "interest groups," a "broader consultation" of the public's view is required, although a rep later clarified that those "interest groups" actually include "34 community, church and other groups" who had made submissions.

"Consultations, by their nature, attract submissions from people who are passionate about the issue," O'Connor said in a statement to GameSpot AU [http://au.gamespot.com/news/6262044.html]. "Ministers would like to consider other legitimate views from as wide a cross section of the community as possible."

But as Interactive Games and Entertainment Association [http://www.igea.net/] President Ron Curry pointed out, it's tough to nail down "gamers" as an interest group. "If consultations, by their nature, attract submissions from people who are passionate about an issue - and I assume passionate in both opposition and support - then why bother?" he asked. "Surely the government asked for submissions to gauge the feeling of the wider community, of which gamers make up 68 percent."

The government's reaction is especially interesting in light of the fact that as far back as mid-January, infamous R18+ opponent Michael Atkinson, who at the time was still the Attorney General of South Australia, wasn't alone in his opposition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97581-Atkinson-Dismisses-Game-Consultation-as-Unfair] to R18+ ratings. "Some other classification ministers are also opposed to an R18+ classification but have not spoken about it publicly," he said at the time. "I'm confident the proposal would be blocked by other classification ministers if I weren't using my veto power." Perhaps there was a little more to Atkinson's words than we gave him credit for.

Whatever the case, keep up the great work, Australia. I normally have to pay for this kind of entertainment.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/05/11/game-community-response-may-have-slowed-pro-r18-movement]

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
Now it looks like there just coming up with the most random reasons not to do anything. Seems like there back is to a wall.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
It's so funny it makes me really really sad.
Even though my country has another whole different problem relate to games (fucking prices >>") it saddens me to no end.

It's a situation of either laugh or cry, I think I'll take the former.

My condolences to the australian gamers, your old old father is square and thick-headed.

leeloodallasmultipass

THE Fifth Element
Mar 23, 2009
its probabaly because the only people to submit comments were Polar opposites. those strongly against and those strongly for a R18+ rating. they probably want a comment from average joe/jill who dont have vested intrests either way

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
The people wanted it to bad, so they can't have it. WTF?

Well I can see Yahtzee being pissed about this.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
samus010 said:
Now it looks like there just coming up with the most random reasons not to do anything. Seems like there back is to a wall.
Gotta love politics...well, lets hope it dosnt slow it, full stop.

They deserve freedom like the rest of us!

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
I don't understand ; Don't they want an 18+ rating? Or are they just to lazy? It just seems like stalling.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I don't blame them too much as a public consultation is supposed to involve a cross section of the society and instead they got the opinions of what they see (rightly or wrongly) as a minority group.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Jaredin said:
samus010 said:
Gotta love politics...well, lets hope it dosnt slow it, full stop.

They deserve freedom like the rest of us!
This is really bad, but I'm more concerned about the Australian firewall in absolute terms.

What I find especially disturbing about this is that there doesn't seem to be any recourse to the goverment ignoring the will of the people (which seems to be obvious here) and deciding to do whatever the heck it wants to do anyway.

I imagine the point of the delay is in hopes that they can find some way of drudging up statistics to support what they want to happen.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
leeloodallasmultipass said:
its probabaly because the only people to submit comments were Polar opposites. those strongly against and those strongly for a R18+ rating. they probably want a comment from average joe/jill who dont have vested intrests either way
The problem is that the government wants people who have no opinion on the subject to give their opinion on the subject before they make the a decision, when the person who has no opinion on the subject by definition has no opinion on the subject.

In other words, they are saying "We need to know what opinion the person who has no opinion has before we can allow R18 games!"

It is *beyond* retarded. If people didn't phone in, they don't care. If they don't care, they have no opinion to give you. How hard is that to get?

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Ok let's toss together a makeshift timeline shall we?

Step 1 - Games are for children! There's no need for a mature game rating.

Step 2 - The people asking for a mature rating are a vocal minority

Step 3 - The people ask for a mature rating are a dangerous, violent, vocal minority

Step 4 - Fine, fine, just to show you how much of a minority they are, we'll hold a vote.

Step 5 - Holy crap, 86% of over 50,000 people want this mature rating thing. Well, um.. I guess maybe we should...

Step 6 - No wait! Over 40,000 people can STILL be the minority! Jeff in accounting just did the math! Let's postpone making 40,000 citizens happy and find enough people to justify our original comments! After all, I'd rather be right than re-elected!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Australia, your government takes the cake for being completely fucking mental. Your worse than my government, and they attacked a country because of WMDs that weren't there. (Oil)

Wow a lot of people want this! Hold on, before you go ordering that pizza let's see what our families might want, even if they're not invited to the party.

Translation: If a lot of people who want it, then why would you go to the people who have no interest/can make no use of this!??!?!

Apr 28, 2008
Crunchy English said:
Ok let's toss together a makeshift timeline shall we?

Step 1 - Games are for children! There's no need for a mature game rating.

Step 2 - The people asking for a mature rating are a vocal minority

Step 3 - The people ask for a mature rating are a dangerous, violent, vocal minority

Step 4 - Fine, fine, just to show you how much of a minority they are, we'll hold a vote.

Step 5 - Holy crap, 86% of over 50,000 people want this mature rating thing. Well, um.. I guess maybe we should...

Step 6 - No wait! Over 40,000 people can STILL be the minority! Jeff in accounting just did the math! Let's postpone making 40,000 citizens happy and find enough people to justify our original comments! After all, I'd rather be right than re-elected!
I lol'd. Hard.

OT: Hm... it seems that the opponents to this thing now find that they themselves are the apparent minority. HOW DOES IT FEEL?!

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
I just had to larf at the fact that apparently the only people they pointed out as opposing it are church groups, and they're not exactly known for being tolerant of material that is even the slightly mature. "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" and all that.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
This just makes a farce of democracy. Those who care strongly about it either way are the only ones who will care enough to respond to this, and they did, and the overwhelming majority came out in favour of R18+ so now the Aussie government are delaying because they didn't really like the outcome. In what world does that make sense?