Australian Post Apocalyptic Sandbox + other Kickstarter finds

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Mick Beard said:
Basing it on the Franchise means it has to be set in Australia. the End of the 3rdmovie shows a destroyed Sydney.

if it aint set in Oz it might as well just be a new Fallout game.

the guy doesn't want to say its based in Oz cause that will upset the Americans that there is another place out side of the US of A
I'm pretty sure it's not a direct sequel to the movies, it is it's own individual property. They don't have to follow the source material religiously.

That being said, personally I would prefer it was set in Australia (I'm from there myself). I don't think it will be though.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
i have wanted this since i heard of the fallout Australia mod (don't know if it got finished or not, i lost intrest in fallout 3 a long time ago). I think this could be interesting.....i am think i might back it. Though i did also back wasteland 2 so is it worth backing two apocalypses? if there is any country that i would guess would realistically get eaten alive by their own nature and land. it would be Australia. so some radiation and ruins would look good down there. Who know, maybe the radiation even kills some of the god damn huntsman spiders. I can stand a lot, but those make me squirm

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
Drummodino said:
I'm pretty sure it's not a direct sequel to the movies, it is it's own individual property. They don't have to follow the source material religiously.

That being said, personally I would prefer it was set in Australia (I'm from there myself). I don't think it will be though.

yeah the 1st Movie is set not to long after the apocalyptic event where Max is still trying to uphold the law

the 2nd is a while after where resources are running out and he is trying to help a group from the raiders

and the 3rd is well after and people are learning how to cope and develop new sources of power (methane) and Max is seen as the "pilot" by the group of children that rescue him so he has to save them

they all follow each other perfectly fine. even his car in the 1st one its a beast. the 2nd its all beat up and barely running and 3 its trashed

wfieldb

Mar 25, 2011
Liv said:
I recently found this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1193398070/huntsmen-australian-based-dynamic-sandbox-fpsrpg?ref=city

An interesting setting, we hardly get any games set in Australia anymore. It could be a good game too, hopefully they get funded.

Other than that what other kickstarter projects have you found and are excited about? You can talk about already funded projects as well, but lets keep it on the subject of games.
I'm interested to see how their ecosystem would work, it seems like a really cool idea. although to be honest this does seem like a project that can get overwhelming fairly quickly. Still though, I hope they make their goal.

Flames66 said:
My favourite kickstarter project is The Dead Linger: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandswept/the-dead-linger
It looks like it's progressing well.
I bought that on Steam not too long ago, it's pretty rough currently (melee combat is my biggest gripe at the moment) but if they can deliver even half of the things on their roadmap it will be a fantastic game.

Alien Mole said:
I think my favourite project right now is The Mandate ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate?ref=live ), and I'm having a hard time figuring out why it hasn't received more funding. It's like X-COM meets Battlestar Galactica in Tsarist Russian space. What's not to like?
I have to second this, this game has an awful lot of potential! I really hope they can reach their goal.

Humanity1

Apr 14, 2009
Oh man, I thought this was going to be about an Apocalyptic Sandbox game where you're an employee of Australia Post delivering mail through tough desert wastelands while avoid the even-more-deadly-than-before wildlife...

I was disappointed.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
wombat_of_war said:
plus i dread when people put australian accents in games.. dead island has to be some of the worst ive heard
The accents in Dead Island sound like some grabbed a bunch of South Africans and made them try to do Cockney accents at gunpoint...

Fact is you have to have lived in Oz for several years to be able to perform The Extra Vowels well enough to fool a local.

Liv's Runaway Snail

Apr 15, 2012
Humanity1 said:
Oh man, I thought this was going to be about an Apocalyptic Sandbox game where you're an employee of Australia Post delivering mail through tough desert wastelands while avoid the even-more-deadly-than-before wildlife...

I was disappointed.
Now that would be a game haha.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Humanity1 said:

I was disappointed.
Wow. That sounds far more interesting than the constant fighting games churned out over and over, I'd actually fund this. We really need more big games that aren't afraid to be whacky.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Alien Mole said:
Looks interesting - you're right, there aren't even close to enough games set in Australia. Case in point: I can't think of a single one right now. Minimum pledge to get the game's a bit too high for my current finances, though.

I think my favourite project right now is The Mandate ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate?ref=live ), and I'm having a hard time figuring out why it hasn't received more funding. It's like X-COM meets Battlestar Galactica in Tsarist Russian space. What's not to like?
Just checked out the link for this and I am well impressed.

I've always been afraid of putting money towards Kickstarter stuff, what happens if it doesn't reach the goal? Do I get my money back?

Liv's Runaway Snail

Apr 15, 2012
Bertylicious said:
Alien Mole said:
Looks interesting - you're right, there aren't even close to enough games set in Australia. Case in point: I can't think of a single one right now. Minimum pledge to get the game's a bit too high for my current finances, though.

I've always been afraid of putting money towards Kickstarter stuff, what happens if it doesn't reach the goal? Do I get my money back?
Yes you do get your money back if it doesn't get funded =]

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
Bertylicious said:
Alien Mole said:

They actually do you one better - then don't take any money unless (and if!) the project is fully funded. So you're pretty safe there. Of course, Kickstarter is never 100% secure, but the terms of use do specify that project creators are required to either deliver the pledged-for goods or refund your pledge. There have been problems in the past, but the Kickstarter community in general is massively more humane, honest and correct than average. You should be in good hands.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Doesn't everything in Australia already try to kill you though? What happens after the apocalypse? Everything tries to kill you by forcing you to listen to Mily Cyrus?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Australian Post-Apocalyptic Sandbox, eh? So it's set in modern day, rural Australia? Sign me up.

Liv's Runaway Snail

Apr 15, 2012
synobal said:
Doesn't everything in Australia already try to kill you though? What happens after the apocalypse? Everything tries to kill you by forcing you to listen to Mily Cyrus?
Miley ain't so bad compared to a cassowary. =]

Anyway not everything tries to kill you, most people live on the coast in the cities away from the somewhat dangerous animals. But I guess when the apocalypse happens everything turns to shite.