Australian...Quidditch?

Damnoz

Jul 28, 2010
Was browsing through kickstarter and indiegogo for things that sound awesome and/or offbeat, when suddenly I came across this little gem.

http://www.indiegogo.com/broomsdownunder

People apparently play Quidditch, a lot of people... and they take it seriously?!

Has anyone come into contact with this err... sport; what were your impressions?

Has anyone played similarly strange sounding sports; give a brief explaination.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not sure if you'd call it a sport, but LARPing (not the kind with lightning bolt kid or everyone being pansy little fags), the kind where you find a whole bunch of nerds with lots of money that forked out to have some guy make them armour in the style of the medieval times and wail on eachother with these weird swords made of some real heavy stuff... The rules boil down to give the other guy more bruises.

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
There's a club for it at my school, but haven't tried to learn anything about it. Personally I don't understand how it would work, but whatever... To each their own.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
So........they run around with brooms between their legs, attempting to play a game that in the books essentially required magic to be a real thing? (I'm curious as to how they simulate a snitch). Just..just. Today I am ashamed to be Australian.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
Huh, I had thought this was just a (relatively) big thing in the UK. I'm sure there are a few colleges here in the US with stuff like this, but I had not thought it had spread to Australia. More power to the players who found something they enjoy, but the idea that a group is making a documentary about something with only a minor presence in the countries that it actually exists...
I wish them luck, but it seems silly and very likely to fail, in my opinion.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Alice Springs Regatta is a bit odd.

Firstly, everyone makes their own boats, and most of them are very impractical, totally incapable of functioning on water. This isn't such an issue, because:

Secondly, there's no water. People pick their boats and run to the finish line carryong them.

http://www.australianexplorer.com/events/9001040/profile.htm

Cap:

Bath water.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Seems like there would be quite a high frequency of injury to the region between your legs... no thanks. This is incredibly dumb, but then again most sports don't demonstrate the greatest ingenuity either.

Tiddles

Jan 30, 2012
My school played it but not this variety. They played the same-ish rules from the books but in water and everyone is on pool noodles not brooms. Was a lot of fun and each year we had students vs teachers and the teachers always cheated!

I can't say I would find what the video describes particularly fun though.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
nikki191 said:
i saw people playing it in one of those 5 minute between shows spots on national geographic and yup its people running around with a broom between their legs. it may sound cool in the books, it may look awesome in the movies but sorry you run around with a broom between your legs and people are just going to laugh at you
You'd be surprised. They recently set up quidditch hoops and started holding try-outs in front of my university. I imagine most people accept its silliness but are competitive about it nonetheless. But hey, my university also has a lego and circus club, so open-mindedness tends to be the done thing around here.

That being said, I won't be playing it any time soon.

Captcha; Industrial revolution

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Just google it, it's actually quite popular (at UK universities at least).

Jason Rayes said:
So........they run around with brooms between their legs, attempting to play a game that in the books essentially required magic to be a real thing? (I'm curious as to how they simulate a snitch). Just..just. Today I am ashamed to be Australian.
A snitch is a guy with a tennis ball in a sock behind his belt running around parkour style. Heck, there is a documentary that explains better than I ever could :)

<youtube=?v=2K-xgBpQU84>

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Danceofmasks said:
Still, a way better idea than the Nimbus 2000.
Google it, if you've never heard of it. So wrong.
Since when is a novelty sex toy a bad idea?

TyranidXX

Feb 17, 2010
I haven't seen it in action but someone I know plays it, the JCU in the area has a club & other friends of mine are trying to make a club for it at my old high school. From what they tell me, they love it.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
So... let me get this straight:

They're trying to reenact a sport that involves flying on brooms, catching a flying ball, avoiding other flying balls and throwing flying balls but without the whole "flying" aspect?

Talk about missing the point.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Well this is the most hysterical thing I've seen all day. So they actually hold a broom between their legs which does absolutely nothing?

Because Quidditch wasn't a silly enough concept already.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Danceofmasks said:
Still, a way better idea than the Nimbus 2000.
Google it, if you've never heard of it. So wrong.
Since when is a novelty sex toy a bad idea?
Could they not make that the official Quidditch-league broom?

Also my little brother had that toy. And no-one saw anything wrong with it.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
My best friend went to ANU and apparently they had a Quidditch team there. Fucking shameful behaviour. I was horrified when I heard about it.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
See, even in Quidditch I am sure Japan will not have a very strong national team.
But I am sure they would be able to come up with one hell of a broom from Panasonic or Toyota.