Australian R18+ Rating Could Take Years

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Australian R18+ Rating Could Take Years

While the Australian government is finally giving consideration [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81729] to the need for an R18+ videogame rating in their country, gamers Down Under shouldn't expect action on the matter anytime soon.

Updates to Australia's current videogame classification system are due to be discussed at the next meeting of the Standing Committee of Attorneys-General on March 28, but according to a CNET [http://www.cnet.com.au/games/0,239029232,339286309,00.htm]report, a spokesman for Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus has cautioned that no actual decision on the addition of an R18+ rating was likely to result. The meeting is instead simply a chance to bring forth research on the topic, which was originally commissioned in 2005.

"Usually these things move pretty slowly at these meetings," the spokesman said. "It can take years for things to go through. I would imagine Victoria would just present these materials and the states would go away and have another think about it until the next meeting."

Some politicians in Australia have actually expressed doubt about the need for videogame ratings beyond MA15+. Joe Ludwig, the Minister for Human Services in the Labor Government, said last year, "While I understand that many in the community desire the addition of an R18+ rating for videogames, the Federal Labor Party does not believe that there are any fundamental problems with the functioning of the classification system in Australia and, as such, we do not currently have any proposals to work with state governments to introduce such additional ratings for videogames."

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Joe Ludwig said last year, "The Federal Labor Party does not believe that there are any fundamental problems with the functioning of the classification system in Australia..."

Someone should send them a memo: the Super Nintendo is not nextgen.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Malygris said:
"While I understand that many in the community desire the addition of an R18+ rating for videogames, the Federal Labor Party does not believe that there are any fundamental problems with the functioning of the classification system in Australia and, as such, we do not currently have any proposals to work with state governments to introduce such additional ratings for videogames."
Grrr. Australian politics suck. We are loosing out on forms of media because these people are so ignorant and blind to this topic. Nice pcture though. Sums it up very nicely.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PurpleRain said:
Malygris said:
"While I understand that many in the community desire the addition of an R18+ rating for videogames, the Federal Labor Party does not believe that there are any fundamental problems with the functioning of the classification system in Australia and, as such, we do not currently have any proposals to work with state governments to introduce such additional ratings for videogames."
I don't imagine Australian politics are any more flawed than those of any other developed democracy, but that statement really knocked me on my ass. The only way I can see any sense to it at all is if he was caught by surprise by a question regarding the need for a higher rating, and responded in complete ignorance of the topic in a way he thought would appeal to the voters.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Malygris said:
PurpleRain said:
Malygris said:
I don't imagine Australian politics are any more flawed than those of any other developed democracy, but that statement really knocked me on my ass. The only way I can see any sense to it at all is if he was caught by surprise by a question regarding the need for a higher rating, and responded in complete ignorance of the topic in a way he thought would appeal to the voters.
It's pretty standard language here. They talk big to hide ignorance and defend the indefensible.