Australian Study "Confirms Dangers of Violent Videogames"

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Videogames robbed me of my humanity! Luckily I saved first *load last save*

In all seriousness, I've stopped paying attention to the whole Games/violence debate, because everything I hear is bullshit.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Orks da best said:
as soon as i saw Australia i knew it would be a bash agaisnt games, they hate violence down there, though funny enough are ok with sex (or so I been told.)

Nothing to see here, its just as mindless as the violence they (proclaim) is mindless.
well you could say the same about America, they love mindless violence, but they hate anything to do with sex. well judging by the television.
we also can say anything we want down here.

*sigh* This again shows how people are too focused on the negative connotations of video games. the thing is, if people keep focusing on the negatives, then it will always be there.

And as an Australian, can i just say to my fellow escapists, This came from the University of Queensland, while it may seem to you I'm stating the obvious, it came from QUEENSLAND. so just take it with a grain of salt folks. We don't take them seriously, (except for natural disasters of course) It's the freaking countries holiday resort. The only thing they have besides the theme parks, is the ...... look if you lived here in Australia you'd understand.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
How the hell did they get Mortal Kombat for this study? We may now have an R rating, but Mortal Kombat has 2 years before it can be looked at again.

Still, typical games = violence. I've not done a violent thing since my last murder.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
42 said:
it came from QUEENSLAND.
I'm from queensland :'( I don't think we're that bad... Only our retarded nanny state government... and the 60% of our population who keep, okay we're that bad... By more than half.... I guess in social science circles that percentage qualifies as a result

Look ma! I'm doing social science, definitive statements from statistical trends that would be spat on in physics for being a hairs breath away from being an even distribution among differing possibilities!

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Note to self: Humanity is now a measurable concept. Sounds like he's been playing Dark Souls a bit too much.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Hydro14 said:
In other words it hasn't been subject to peer review and has bypassed due academic process. Nothing to see here. Just another alarmist with no credibility
Actually it has been published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, so peer review is underway.

Would be nice to have a link to said article so we can see for ourselves, though looks like it's one of those papers that ain't available online :(

leeprice133

Sep 25, 2011
Treblaine said:
His new study has found that people who play these games tend to see their opponents, and even themselves, as "lacking in core human qualities such as warmth, open-mindedness and intelligence."

Maybe that is because their opponents ARE lacking in such qualities! They are robots! Artificial beings!

What kind of person would find the Combine "warm, open minded and intelligent"?!?!?

Even in the game universe they are mindless clones (or something worse), and in practice they are a simple string of computer code, that never comes close to replicating the complexity of a small animal like a house fly let alone a full person! And what is true for Combine is true for most of the antagonists in video games, they mindlessly attack according to a relatively simple algorithms of fire and manoeuvre. They may attack with unyielding ferociousness or with animal cunning but no true intelligence, they can't imagine what you are thinking, they fundamentally lack a theory of mind. They cannot be reasoned with. They are autonomatons.

"and even themselves"

If you ask enough people of any group you could get "even a few" to admit they aren't really open minded, not really that nice and not really that smart. He keeps using the term "humanised" and "dehumanised" without clarification, context or meaning. They obviously are still human physically, they aren't mutating into cats or frogs. The term "Dehumanisation" is used in application to things like slavery, but applied to oneself it loses meaning. Considering the affection and love people feel for non human things like their pet dogs who they would never allow to come to harm, what significance does a term like "humanisation" mean?

Especially with gems like "Ratings of other people's humanity". How do you RATE "humanity"?!!?? I didn't know there was a scale. And precisely what are people rating, are they rating the "humanity" of themselves in everyday life, or are they rating their perception of the 2D spite in a 20 year old beam em up?!?!!!!

Why won't he go into detail and get beyond vague histrionics?

"The specifics of the study weren't revealed"

Ah. That's not how science works. That's how religion works.

Agreed. You can't publish a study without discussing the methodology in detail. I'm a molecular biologist and if I read a paper without a detailed methodology section, I'd have to pretty much reject it out of hand as tripe. But then, we're dealing with the soft sciences here...

leeprice133

Sep 25, 2011
Frankster said:
Hydro14 said:
In other words it hasn't been subject to peer review and has bypassed due academic process. Nothing to see here. Just another alarmist with no credibility
Actually it has been published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, so peer review is underway.

Would be nice to have a link to said article so we can see for ourselves, though looks like it's one of those papers that ain't available online :(
Doesn't matter. If it doesn't include a full account of the methodology involved, it's damn near worthless.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The specifics of the study weren't revealed
Well that's that argument over then.

Come on then Dr Bastian, come at me bro (with a study with any actual scientific merit).

Cahir

Aug 16, 2011
42 said:
And as an Australian, can i just say to my fellow escapists, This came from the University of Queensland, while it may seem to you I'm stating the obvious, it came from QUEENSLAND. so just take it with a grain of salt folks. We don't take them seriously, (except for natural disasters of course) It's the freaking countries holiday resort. The only thing they have besides the theme parks, is the ...... look if you lived here in Australia you'd understand.
QFT.

To those wondering if the study will affect the change in ratings, I honestly doubt it. Our government might not be the most competent in the world, but there's enough gamers excited by the changes in the law and the government's approval rating is so low that they won't take the risk. We're safe until the opposition comes to power and repeals everything that the government's done.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
He can say what he want for now, I'll wait until it's a published study. Something like this won't even come close to holding up to peer review if he doesn't bare all his methods and definitions.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Hang on people. This study came from Queensland. That alone should make you question its "science."

Queensland is still 20 years behind the rest of the country. Well, the East Coast at least.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
Mass Effect has made me a Blurg creature from the planet Zog! oh no!
Seriously though, i think this sums up my thoughts and feelings for this stupid,stupid man's 'confirmation'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgI2ZQVyrBo

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Gavmando said:
Hang on people. This study came from Queensland. That alone should make you question its "science."

Queensland is still 20 years behind the rest of the country. Well, the East Coast at least.
I thourght that was what they say about WA...:/

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
notimeforlulz said:
42 said:
it came from QUEENSLAND.
I'm from queensland :'( I don't think we're that bad... Only our retarded nanny state government... and the 60% of our population who keep, okay we're that bad... By more than half.... I guess in social science circles that percentage qualifies as a result

Look ma! I'm doing social science, definitive statements from statistical trends that would be spat on in physics for being a hairs breath away from being an even distribution among differing possibilities!
hahaha don't look into it too much, Queensland ain't too bad. they just need to stop being so smug round Origin time. don't worry NSW needs to get a reality check if they want to win any series let alone the next. haha we're all friends here.

OT: you're also right, social sciences have gone out of control. we need to get this shit under control. If we don't then humanity will never be able to survive.

Cahir

Aug 16, 2011
Vault101 said:
Gavmando said:

I thourght that was what they say about WA...:/
No, they're 30 years behind everyone :p.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
"lacking in core human qualities such as warmth,
I'm generally a nice person to everyone, I don't know what exactly I'm lacking in "warmth" to others...

open-mindedness
Maybe to the 10 year old's on Call of Duty, but the racism and discrimination that people encounter either was already there, or a product of anonymity.
and intelligence.
So people who play video games are less intelligent? Clearly he's never been to the Escapist.

In all honesty, I try to view these with an open mind. But quite frankly, this is just another randomly spouted argument that falls flat on it's ass.