Australians May Get The New Nintendo 3DS First, on November 21

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

Nintendo Australia is the first English-speaking territory to announce its New Nintendo 3DS release date.

Australians might finally be getting something first from Nintendo for once, as Nintendo Australia has announced that the upcoming "New" Nintendo 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137129-New-3DS-with-Xenoblade-Chronicles-Coming-2015] (which shall henceforth been known as the N3DS, due to its ridiculous name) will launch in the region on November 21. It is the first English-speaking territory to announce a release date for the new system.

The announcement was made in the first ever Australian Nintendo Direct event, which you can check out in the video above. In it, Tom Enoki, managing director of Nintendo Australia, goes over all of the features the N3DS will have, including a new analogue "c-stick", better 3D viewing angles, and customizable faceplates.

Enoki essentially regurgitated the Japanese announcement of the N3DS, but did add that Xenoblade Chronicles, the first N3DS exclusive title, would be getting an English release. He also confirmed that the c-stick will function in Super Smash Bros. 3DS, as well as any title that utilized the circle pad pro [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123377-Nintendos-3DS-XL-Circle-Pad-Pro-Hits-Retail-In-America], such as Monster Hunter 4.

A N3DS [http://www.nintendo.com.au/new-nintendo-3ds/] website was launched alongside the Nintendo Direct, so you can check out all the specs and features of the new handhelds in English.

The N3DS and the N3DS XL will launch in Australia and New Zealand, at the suggested retail prices of AU$219.95 and AU$249.95 respectively. Curiously, neither handheld contains an AC adapter, which has be purchased separately for $14.95 (or utilized from any 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/DSi/DSi XL systems).

We've reached out to Nintendo of America to see when the N3DS will be coming stateside.

Source: Nintendo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uNYEo8YN3I]

And Man

May 12, 2014
That's a lot earlier than I'd have expected. Maybe NA and EU will get it earlier than we originally thought too?

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Still not getting it. My friends had to pitch in to get me a 3DS to play pokemon as it is. I predict usual price gouging bullshit to accompany it's release. Have fun with that.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Revolutionary said:
Still not getting it. My friends had to pitch in to get me a 3DS to play pokemon as it is. I predict usual price gouging bullshit to accompany it's release. Have fun with that.
It's Australia, price gouging is expected.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Oh for the love of-- they really ARE going with "New Nintendo 3DS"

Which is just further evidence that my coworker and I's theory that the guy at Nintendo who names these things had a stroke and the company is just too compassionate to fire him isn't far off.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
"Curiously, neither handheld contains an AC adapter, which has be purchased separately for $14.95 (or utilized from any 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/DSi/DSi XL systems)." It's like Nintendo expects you to upgrade to this, not trade in your old 3DS. Don't most places drop the value be quite a bit if you don't include a proprietary charger with a trade-in?

Can we just call it the CG3DS, Cash Grab 3DS? From what I've heard about the hardware, it is still too weak (and too early) for a full generation upgrade. I'm still willing to bet in 2 years a new (Thanks Big N that word is meaningless, now.) handheld generation far more powerful than this one will be out. It's happened with every Nintendo handheld since the Gameboy Color. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that only games that realllllllllly need the c-stick and extra buttons are released on this thing (and Majora's Mask 3D and any potential Metroid title are not in that list).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Damn you nintendo. If I have to import it from Australia to the UK then I will!

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Why does this exist atm? I might be able to get it if it had anything else going for it, but just a new c-stick and that's it? It might be useful, but that thing is tiny. And the placement of it. What? Couldn't they fit an extra analog nub in it?

While I like nintendo games, I don't quite like how their business is run at almost all times... Account binding that doesn't remember which games you got on the eshop, still fullprice games after well over 2 years and the constant renewing of their handhelds... I wish they stopped that.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
hickwarrior said:
Why does this exist atm? I might be able to get it if it had anything else going for it, but just a new c-stick and that's it? It might be useful, but that thing is tiny. And the placement of it. What? Couldn't they fit an extra analog nub in it?

While I like nintendo games, I don't quite like how their business is run at almost all times... Account binding that doesn't remember which games you got on the eshop, still fullprice games after well over 2 years and the constant renewing of their handhelds... I wish they stopped that.
cstick, two more shoulder buttons, better battery, faster graphics processor, faster wifi access, higher quality screens, camera is able to adjust the 3d display to shift with your line of sight, automatic lighting adjustment based on lighting detection from cameras, built in Amiibo functionality, the ability to use wifi to transfer files to and from a computer wirelessly, uses micro sd, better web browser that can play videos, games that are exclusive to the system

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
You lucky sons of....

I really hope Nintendo of America pulls some surprise reveal for this soon. At least for the holiday season. I really want to go back and play games like Super Mario 3D World, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Kingdom Hearts 3D with the 3D slider cranked up to max.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
November 21st.

Now why does that date seem so famil-

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
TimeLord said:
Unless you plan to import games from Australia to the UK as well, which would be a silly idea considering our price gouging, then I'd recommend you not. AU and UK are both PAL, but UK games don't work on my AU 3DS so I imagine it doesn't work the other way either.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
And then they will immediately have to download a day-one patch, through the Australian and New Zealand Internet services, respectively.

Wah wah [sub]wah [sub]wahhahahahah...[/sub][/sub]

(No actual antagonism intended, Aussies and Kiwis. You're terrific people.)

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This reminds me somehow of Yahtzee's L4D2 review. Something to do with video games trying to become license plates?

Maybe they're trying to press their handheld market advantage right now but I still don't know why they decided to make the N3DS right now. Another Metroid game ala the Prime series for the Wii U would probably be welcomed more enthusiastically.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
s_h_a_d_o said:
Steven Bogos said:
FYI - New Zealand is not part of Australia.
:|
Everywhere has been stating it as just Aussie in the title etc, but they mentioned us in the article, it's just something we have to live with.

VanQ said:
TimeLord said:
Unless you plan to import games from Australia to the UK as well, which would be a silly idea considering our price gouging, then I'd recommend you not. AU and UK are both PAL, but UK games don't work on my AU 3DS so I imagine it doesn't work the other way either.
You are correct in that assumption.

People, just learn patience, it's what we have to do in AUS/NZ all the time.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
VanQ said:
TimeLord said:
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Regions

Scroll down to Australia; "Games from this area will work in European systems and vice versa."
So that is weird that the games don't work in yours

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
TimeLord said:
VanQ said:
TimeLord said:

Scroll down to Australia; "Games from this area will work in European systems and vice versa."
Weird. I bought a game off EBay that was marked as a UK version and it doesn't work in my 3DS. Guess I just got a bad cartridge. I wonder if it isn't too late to give them a bad review...

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
VanQ said:
TimeLord said:
VanQ said:
TimeLord said:

Weird. I bought a game off EBay that was marked as a UK version and it doesn't work in my 3DS. Guess I just got a bad cartridge. I wonder if it isn't too late to give them a bad review...
I have several UK 3DS games and they work just fine in my Australian 3DS. That game you got might have been mislabeled.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Really hope they don't overdo it on the New 3DS exclusive titles. Would hate for the 3DS XL I got for Christmas to be 'outdated' in less than a year! And I swear if any of the exclusives are Monster Hunter or Pokemon...