Author Tom Clancy Passes Away

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
I'm not sure how involved Mr Clancy was with the development of the Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell games over the years. But if he was the inspiration behind these titles, then they will always have a special place in my gaming heart.

Rest in peace, Mr Clancy.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I only read Rainbow Six. Great book, so thanks for that. RIP.

DVS BSTrD said:
He's just off doing a little...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Ghost Recon.
Wow, you must be popular at funerals.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
You'll be hard pressed to meet someone who hadn't seen/read any of his works (or adaptations of his works). Wow, the world of literature lost a great author today.

RIP, Tom Clancy.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I enjoyed the games and movies he was most likely tangentially involved in and read 2 of his books that he may or may not have written and found them alright enough if a little over detailed on the descriptions of doorhandles of submarines.

World is moving on I guess...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I never read any of his novels, but Ghost Recon (despite me sucking at it) and Splinter Cell are among some of my favorite games. Sure, the plots aren't exactly Shakespearean, but he's a pretty good writer by all accounts and I've always had a damn good time with them.

He will be missed.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
Special Edition Splinter Cell box in T-5, 4, 3,...

Sucks to die so early though, 66 isn't that old. Was it a heart attack?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Not a fan of T.C.'s political views being sandwiched into every book he wrote, but I really enjoyed his narrative technique. He was really good at creating tension by drip feeding details of the anatagonists' plot.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I only ever read Rainbow Six because it was the only one to ever grab me right away, I found the rest of his books kind of boring. My dad loves his books though and has read pretty much all of them multiple times. He does have at least one last book coming out in December. I played quite a few of the games based on his work though.

SupahGamuh said:
Meh, at least we won't be getting any more shitty Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell games with his name slapped in the box.

Scratch that, we'll still get those shitty games, but without his name slapped in the box.
Nope, his name will still be on the box. He worked out a licensing deal with Ubisoft to use his name pretty much without consulting him first.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
mysecondlife said:

DVS BSTrD said:

*puts on sunglasses*

...Ghost Recon.
Probably, humor is a wonderful way to deal with negative emotions. When my mom shot herself most, not all, of my (and my friends) grieving was expressed through humor (often dark). If I am feeling bad why would I want to wallow in the feeling, why would I avoid looking for humor in life?

@ DVS BSTrD, That was pretty good. :{D

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
just 66 years old? fuck, that's early for dying of old age, my grandfather is older than that and he's still skipping about.

Sad to see him go, I enjoyed the games he helped create and I know a classmate who owns every book he ever published.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The man who brought us Rainbow 6, before it turned to crap, has passed. Best tactical FPS ever... ok Rogue Spear was best, but still... *silent moment*

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Sad to hear of his passing, I loved the one book he wrote over and over and over. He even changed the wallpaper occasionally!

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
At first I thought this was a prank, but it's sad to see that it's true.It's a shame to see him go, can hope that others inspired by this work take up the torch.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
basm321 said:
mysecondlife said:

DVS BSTrD said:

*puts on sunglasses*

...Ghost Recon.
Probably, humor is a wonderful way to deal with negative emotions. When my mom shot herself most, not all, of my (and my friends) grieving was expressed through humor (often dark). If I am feeling bad why would I want to wallow in the feeling, why would I avoid looking for humor in life?

@ DVS BSTrD, That was pretty good. :{D
Oh I'm not questioning that people have different ways of dealing with loss. and I'm not the one who is easily offended. Its just that DVS bstrd being our resident punster, it gets hard to tell.

It is a pretty good pun despite the circumstances.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:

*puts on sunglasses*

...Ghost Recon.
Well that's me going to hell...:') well played sir

OT: Despite the joke, this is saddening =\ my condolences to his family.

There is going to be a big boost in sales for Tom Clancy games now...