Author Tom Clancy Passes Away

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Baltimore? That's the town he nuked in The Sum of All Fears. I guess the city got its revenge now.

Never read anything by him, but some of the games and movies influenced by him are among my favorites.
Just to be clear, Baltimore was nuked in the terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible film of the book The Sum of All Fears.

In the actual book, Denver was the target.

There's been one good, and one sorta-kinda okay Clancy film.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
arc1991 said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
How did he die? I couldn't find any intel anywhere.
Died in Hospital, one of the links google gave me said it.
I know where he died, I want to know how. It seems no one is up to this kind of intelligence-gathering stealth mission.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
He's just off doing a little...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Ghost Recon.

Ooh boy. Too soon man, too soon. XD

Goodbye Mr. Clancy, you will be missed. In his honor I will send one ping, and one ping only.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
arc1991 said:
I know where he died, I want to know how. It seems no one is up to this kind of intelligence-gathering stealth mission.
They haven't released an official cause of death yet. About the only thing they have said is it was an illness. Sadly the conspiracy theory nutters are already tuning up with the idea he was murdered by the "government".

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I hate to say that I only read 1 or 2 of the books written by him, but a lot of the spinoffs and of course the games. I never had any real connection to the authors/consultants of the books and games, but I'm pretty sad to hear that he died...

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Psychobabble said:
arc1991 said:
They haven't released an official cause of death yet. About the only thing they have said is it was an illness. Sadly the conspiracy theory nutters are already tuning up with the idea he was murdered by the "government".
Yeah those stupid "conspiracy nuts" everyone sane knows that conspiracies are all made up and that the "government" never kills people without announcing it to the world first.

And don't try bringing up your unpatriotic "Facts" about how the CIA was heavily monitoring Martin Luther King and John Lennon as "potential threats" because everybody knows that the CIA and the government as a whole would never violate a person's rights, especially their right to life.

It's stupid for so many reasons, namely that nothing Tom Clancey has said or written would ever give anyone in the government a reason to want him dead. Sure some could call him a "whistleblower" of sorts because he attempted to expose some strange military activity and "Wargame scenarios" and a few of them ended up being disturbingly similar to events that later happened (that New York thing, you might have heard about it, not a big deal though) but our government always respects the rights of people that try to expose criminal activity within our government.

Should I keep going? Is the sarcasm thick enough?

When you feel the need to use "conspiracy theorist" as an insult, look up what those two words mean. There's nothing insane or crazy about being a conspiracy theorist. I am more worried about the sanity of the people that think conspiracies only happen in movies, and the scariest thing is that there seem to be a lot of those people.

Carpenter

Jul 4, 2012
Kristian Fischer said:
The man smoked 11 million cigarettes. They probably killed him.

CAPTCHA: John Lennon.

Huh? Really?
What? He smoked cigarettes? Cigarettes leave no survivors, lung cancer death confirmed.

Case closed, murdered by tobacco. Wait do we know for a fact that he actually smoked excessively? Wait, we don't need proof, we have the truth on our side.
Cigarettes killed John Lennon!

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Carpenter said:
Psychobabble said:
arc1991 said:
Yeah those stupid "conspiracy nuts" everyone sane knows that conspiracies are all made up and that the "government" never kills people without announcing it to the world first.

And don't try bringing up your unpatriotic "Facts" about how the CIA was heavily monitoring Martin Luther King and John Lennon as "potential threats" because everybody knows that the CIA and the government as a whole would never violate a person's rights, especially their right to life.

It's stupid for so many reasons, namely that nothing Tom Clancey has said or written would ever give anyone in the government a reason to want him dead. Sure some could call him a "whistleblower" of sorts because he attempted to expose some strange military activity and "Wargame scenarios" and a few of them ended up being disturbingly similar to events that later happened (that New York thing, you might have heard about it, not a big deal though) but our government always respects the rights of people that try to expose criminal activity within our government.

Should I keep going? Is the sarcasm thick enough?

When you feel the need to use "conspiracy theorist" as an insult, look up what those two words mean. There's nothing insane or crazy about being a conspiracy theorist. I am more worried about the sanity of the people that think conspiracies only happen in movies, and the scariest thing is that there seem to be a lot of those people.

Yeah because assassinating him now, years after whatever possible political damage he may have done, years after he has become a house hold name, makes perfect sense. Couldn't possibly be that people, even famous people, die rather unsensational deaths every day. "Oh noes he was famous it must be something unusual."

I use conspiracy theorist in a negative connotation expressly due to the reaction of folks like yourself. Folks so wound up in their personal fantasy lands that their immediate assumption when something mundane happens, such as one's car keys going missing, instead of looking for a logical conclusion, just jump directly to the theory they must have been stolen away by elves.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Meh, at least we won't be getting any more shitty Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell games with his name slapped in the box.

Scratch that, we'll still get those shitty games, but without his name slapped in the box.
I don't think that this is how it works. His name will probably still be on the box. It's not Tom Clancy - the person, but Tom Clancy - the brand. I don't think that he personally had anything to do with any of the games. They just take place in the Tom Clancy Universe.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Enjoyed him while in high school, though gave up after yellow saus...I mean, the bear and the dragon. Part of it was that I'd already read Red Storm Rising and part of it was how contrived the ending felt. Also, I just kind of stopped caring anymore.