Avacyn Unveiled

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Avacyn Restored looks to be very interesting so far.

I'm kind of surprised that you didn't mention Killing Wave. A sorcery which causes people to pay X life per creature, or sacrifice that creature is a very nasty sorcery. Griselbrand is the best of the giant creatures you mentioned for Legacy, the only one I could possibly see for standard might(and I do stress might) be Sigarda. I know WG isn't the most popular pairing in the world right now, but Sigarda is very difficult to kill in standard. Blasphemous Act [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=222206] isn't a very popular card right now, and Deadly Allure [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262690] isn't accurate enough. As you mentioned the 3 abilities in your article aren't going to work.

Ultimately a 2/2 blue Frog(1/1 and +1/+1 counter)

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
To answer the question:

You will have a 1/1 blue frog artifact land creature with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Turn to frog let the creature keep its permanent type like artifact and land. It will still have the counter on it.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Answer to the question: It's a 2/2. To follow how it goes:

Land -> 2/2

+1/+1 counter -> 3/3

Tezz ability -> turns base into a 5/5 and +1/+1 makes it a 6/6

Turn to Frog -> turns it into a base 1/1 blue creature with a +1/+1 counter, hence 2/2.

Honestly, Silverblade Paladin seems like the best constructed card yet revealed. T1 Champion of the Parish, T2 Gather the Townsfolk, swing 3 with Champion. T3 Paladin bonding Champion, swing for 10.

I'm more excited that they're trying to make burn a real deck again with Thunderous Wrath (5 damage to creature or player with a miracle cost of R in a deck that THRIVES on topdecks) and Vexing Devil (4/3 for 1 that is sacrificed if the opponent decides to take 4 damage when it comes into play). Both of those fit really well in a Modern burn deck.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
A 1/1 Blue Artifact Frog with a +1/+1 counter on it, therefor having 2P and 2 T

A. Smith

Jan 10, 2011
Guys, calm down about Vexing Devil. The thing about it is that the choice element makes it far, far less good.

Here's the thing about red decks (and aggro decks in general). How they win is by playing several small, cheap creatures in the first few turns, attacking with them to maximize their damage/card ratio before their opponent plays their own (better) creatures, and then finish them with burn when their creatures aren't cutting it.

This means that in the early game, the opponent will generally choose to take 4 damage (which they'll survive), while in the late game, they'll choose to have him keep his creature, which their titan will just eat up.

Not only that, but if your opponent has some spot removal, he can choose to let the creature resolve at any point in the game. If you're playing a burn deck, this means you've just turned a dead card (spot removal) into something they can actually use.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad card. it's very, very good. But it's hardly broken.

EDIT: also, the gentlement above are absolutely right; it's a 2/2 blue artifact creature frog. It's also a land.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Encaen said:
Don't get me started on thunderous wrath! That card should be a 4 of in any red burn style deck... It should be a rare rather than an uncommon! Lightning bolt? Pft... who needs it!

I am thinking of keeping my human deck standard when Mirridon rotates. So I was wondering what I should switch my Accorder
Paladins with... and BAM... new bad ass knight. (I never had crusaders in it because I only own 1 and he's in my collection of knights...) It'll be a shame to lose life link, but in that same regard... giving something double strike is damned nice.

Since I collect Dragons, I'm anxious to know what the new dragon is going to be.

Who's excited about The Return to Ravnica?

I wasn't playing during the Ravnica block... but I've heard stories and I love multi color decks!

The Lore sounds interesting too.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I'm looking forward to Griselbrand being my commander. I've always liked the Faustian demon's that require some sort of sacrifice. Granted, with Griselbrand... there isn't much of a sacrifice...

Could you activate Griselbrand's pay 7 ability in response him being removed?

Also another question regaurding the new blue enchantment...

Arcane Melee [http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129935&d=1334117053]

Anyone think it'll see play in control U/B control decks ? I think it'd be useful...

Encaen

May 6, 2005
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
It is really too bad Avacyn won't be used in standard, especially when Elesh Norn does everything so much better. And Temporal Mastery will be a $30 card, easy. That card + Brainstorm in Legacy is stupid as hell.
Yeah, Temporal Mastery is already pre-selling for Over $35 [http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Temporal%20Mastery&sn=Avacyn%20Restored]! I'm excited to see what kind of shenanigans people manage to do with it in each format.

vxicepickxv said:
Avacyn Restored looks to be very interesting so far.

I'm kind of surprised that you didn't mention Killing Wave. A sorcery which causes people to pay X life per creature, or sacrifice that creature is a very nasty sorcery. Griselbrand is the best of the giant creatures you mentioned for Legacy, the only one I could possibly see for standard might(and I do stress might) be Sigarda. I know WG isn't the most popular pairing in the world right now, but Sigarda is very difficult to kill in standard. Blasphemous Act [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=222206] isn't a very popular card right now, and Deadly Allure [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262690] isn't accurate enough. As you mentioned the 3 abilities in your article aren't going to work.

Ultimately a 2/2 blue Frog(1/1 and +1/+1 counter)
On that note, did you see the full art [http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/578004_10151480635200307_201120755306_23233340_1276527129_n.jpg] promo version of Killing Wave? That's amazing. The only real downside I see here is that it requires over-commitment to the board by the opponent to become really useful. Should be a great bane to Token strategies, though!

Regarding Vexing Devil and Thunderous Wrath, I'm really excited to see where RDW goes from here. I hadn't even considered the implications it has for RG aggro, though. That'll let you drop Strangelroot Geist and Vexing Devil second turn, which seems pretty solid. If you can follow that up with Hellrider, you're swinging for something like 12 on turn three. The format does not seem to be slowing down, that's for sure.

lomylithruldor said:
To answer the question:

You will have a 1/1 blue frog artifact land creature with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Turn to frog let the creature keep its permanent type like artifact and land. It will still have the counter on it.
I believe this is the most completely-correct answer posted as yet. Good working!

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
lomylithruldor said:
To answer the question:

One more bit of note is that I'm fairly certain it will be a land that cannot tap for mana.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
saregos said:
lomylithruldor said:
To answer the question:

One more bit of note is that I'm fairly certain it will be a land that cannot tap for mana.
Being a land doesn't mean it tap for mana, it's only a permanent type. Terramorphic Expanse and evolving wilds are examples of lands that do not tap for mana.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
The shenanigans one can pull with Brainstorm and Miracles....
Thunderous Wrath is definitely going in my Pyromancer's Ascension deck. The fun I'm going to have with Ponder.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
it's hilarious how much ppl are overreacting to the new mechanics/cards when there's still ~200 cards to be revealed.

as if the set would ship without any answers or hate for the miracles.

that being said, I'm loving the angels, Angel of Jubilation and Sigarda are very nice.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Kill100577 said:
No its not an artifact but is it not a 2/2 blue Frog Land called Mishra's Factory.
No.
It is still an artifact. Turn To Frog replaces only the creature types (Subtypes), not the Card Types.

It will be a 2/2 "Artifact Land Creature - Frog".

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I'm calling it now, folks. Temporal Mastery will be banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage. One of the most powerful effects in Magic is Library manipulation, and that is very easy to do in Eternal formats. Divining Top and Mystic Tutor will break the shit out of this card.

I'm also thinking that Griselbrand will be a prime Reanimation target. Avacyn, not so much. Especially with Swords to Plowshares being not just a card, but the prime removal spell in Eternal formats.

The Factory Worker becomes a 2/2 frog because of the +1/+1 counter on it.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
quick question? where can i find any detailed lore on innistrad. I think its really neat and i want to know it all :p