Avacyn Unveiled

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Of the Angels/Super cards revealed so far, Time Mastery is easily one of the best.

Avacyn herself is pretty good, but she is a bit expensive for the current meta, and quite a few decks have a lot of exile nonsense right now. But she still is a massive "Fuck You" T8.

The G/W Angel is actually kind of garbage. A 5/5 Flying Hexproof for 5 is ok.....her sacrifice ability is going to do much though unless your local meta loves it sacrifice cards. And I can think of a bunch of cards I'd rather play at 5 CMC from green over her; like Asceticism for one.

The R/W Angel is a god damn monster though. Yes, expensive at 7 - but she pretty much wins the game when the turn she comes out (or the turn after), unlike the G/W Angel and unlike Avacyn.

I have a feeling that though M12 and Scars don't out until "Hook" (rumored to be Return to Ravenica), Avacyn restored is going to define the game until "Hook" comes out.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Maybe I haven't played in a while, but can an indestructible 8/8 (Avacyn) really die from getting -13/-13 (Tragic Slip)?

I thought that indestructible meant that it's toughness could go below 0 without dying...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
TomLikesGuitar said:
Maybe I haven't played in a while, but can an indestructible 8/8 (Avacyn) really die from getting -13/-13 (Tragic Slip)?

I thought that indestructible meant that it's toughness could go below 0 without dying...
Nope, it just ignores lethal damage and destroy effects.

I can see why people would love Gisela as the monster she is. Yes 7 is expensive. She's basically a 10/5 Flying First Strike though. Of course, if you're not in a competitive scene, she could be really fun with Alpha Brawl [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262657] because the damage is pretty high.

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
I'm not sure if this is where you put your guesses for the question of the week, but:

I think it ends up being a 1/1 blue Frog creature with a +1/+1 counter on it that is also a land.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
I have a feeling that though M12 and Scars don't out until "Hook" (rumored to be Return to Ravenica), Avacyn restored is going to define the game until "Hook" comes out.
It's been confirmed at PAX east that hook is Return to Ravnica.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/946

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I think I really really like Avacyn Restored so far. Definitely like the new key word abilities, and everything I've seen just seems generally interesting.

I also think it's kind of neat that the basic lands are the same as the ones from Innistrad, but changed to reflect Avacyn's influence. I feel like it's a little bit lazy, but it's still kind of cool.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
TomLikesGuitar said:

Indestructible only means that it cannot be killed through damage or "destroy" effect. A -X/-X effect isn't damage and basically just sets her toughness at 0 which sends her to the bin.

Encaen said:
Avacyn Unveiled

A first look at Avacyn Restored.

Read Full Article
This set is going to be so much fun to draft and is opening up a lot of fun little FNM decks with some majorly powerful cards.

Temporal Mastery is getting broken in the old eternal formats due to the presence of Brainstorm, Divining top, Sylvan Library, Jace, Personal Tutor, Mirri's guile etc. The list goes on and on. The same can be said about Vexing devil and Thunderous wrath which are going to be hitting the legacy/modern burn decks and giving them a slight power boost.

My favourite card spoiled so far though is this

It speeds up an aggressive G/x Tribal deck (by effectively allowing 2 draws and x free mana each turn) so much that I cannot help but squee at the possible blowouts this card allows. My current list including this and other cards is a GW Human/Angel deck that is tentatively looking something like this

Land 23
4 Razorverge Thicket
4 Sunpetal Grove
2 Gavony Township
6 Forest
7 Plains

Creatures 25
4 Avacyn Pilgrim
4 Champion of the Parish
2 Mirran Crusader
4 Silverblade Paladin
3 Hero of Bladehold
3 Restoration Angel
3 Angel of Jubilation
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons

Instants/Sorceries
4 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Cloudshift

Enchantments/Artifacts
1 Angelic Destiny
1 Sword of X and X
2 Oblivion ring
2 Decendants' Path

Magical Christmas Land goes either Pilgrim>Path>Silverblade Paladin(from hand), Hero of Bladehold (from deck, bonded to paladin) or Champion>Gather>Silverblade paladin (bonding champion) and swing for 10.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Magical Christmas Land goes either Pilgrim>Path>Silverblade Paladin(from hand), Hero of Bladehold (from deck, bonded to paladin) or Champion>Gather>Silverblade paladin (bonding champion) and swing for 10.
Haha, I like it! I still can't get over the openings that Silverblade Paladin can help make happen. Plus with the Flicker effects in the set, you get to reset his bond when you need to, which can make for some really nasty combat tricks if I understand all the mechanics correctly.

What are your thoughts on White Sun's Zenith [http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/avr/k7w7n4eevg_en.jpg]. That is all.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Encaen said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Haha, I like it! I still can't get over the openings that Silverblade Paladin can help make happen. Plus with the Flicker effects in the set, you get to reset his bond when you need to, which can make for some really nasty combat tricks if I understand all the mechanics correctly.

What are your thoughts on White Sun's Zenith [http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/avr/k7w7n4eevg_en.jpg]. That is all.
Too slow for tourney standard but will probably be played in block or (FNM decks) in the B/W token deck especially since they lost out big time with the block bans.

Today's spoilers are freaking hilarious and are forcing some changes to the above deck. Inclusion of four "make your creature uncounterable" land and decree of justice miracle also loking for a spot.

The boros utility land is also making me quiver in anticipation. RW for +2/+0 vigilance,haste is a pretty good beating at a very aggressive cost.

edit: I've also been testing Path in vintage/legacy and it's amazing how often it allows you to get a turn 3 Emrakul for free, with the time walk effect. Shame the card that lets you do this hasn't been printed since 6th otherwise modern would be so much fun.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Encaen said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

It might work if you go R/W, but that's going to be a very slow deck in standard. If you want speed, you can go W/G, but you're not going to be able to get a lot of control out of it.