Avatar 2 Delayed Yet Again, Will Not Meet 2017 Release Date

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
For a brief second my mind thought, "Dammit Shyamalan is going to ruin Toph now too, isn't he?"

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
never understood how this movie ever became so successful. besides an amazing looking special effect driven long movie, the story was soooooo predictable. cant say im shocked or disappointed that it got pushed back. im pretty sure it will be similar to its first one, if not copy some other well known story many people will be familiar with.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I liked Avatar well enough when I saw it, but I don't see how the hell they are gonna justify a sequel, let alone 3 sequels. They might as well call it "Avatar 2: The search for more money".

Unless the sequel is 10 minutes long, the first 5 being orbital strikes on the Navi.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
syaoran728 said:
For a brief second my mind thought, "Dammit Shyamalan is going to ruin Toph now too, isn't he?"
Oh don't worry, he will;

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/86253/20150823/avatar-last-airbender-2-updates-director-m-night-shyamalan-defends-first-film-ready-sequel.htm

OT: I would say that this is becoming the Half-Life 3 of film, but the big difference is; I don't know anyone who cares about Avatar. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure people will go see it when it comes out. I'll probably go see it even, but I won't be hyped for it. The trailer (whenever the heck it comes out) is going to have blow my mind to make me really want to see it.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Its done with, avatar had its time and it had plenty of time to catch up and now it too little too late. After such success why leave it to rott for 6+ years

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
MiskWisk said:
Oh right, this is a thing isn't it?

Well, as someone who didn't like the first one, here's hoping this is delayed forevermore. I got sick of the first one when my geography teacher started waxing lyrical about its magnificence and caved to watch the bloody thing and fell asleep. Maybe I slept through the good bits, I'll never know.
No, you didn't sleep through the good bits, there were no good bits. Sleeping through that movie was a more productive use of your time.

OT: Don't care. Found the movie incredibly dull, no desire to see the next one.

Chosen_Chaos

Sep 11, 2008
Oh, come on. If unobtanium is as vital to Earth's... well, everything as was suggested, then the only even vaguely logical response would be for Earth's government to step in with a full-scale military action that stomps the Navi into the ground and simply takes the unobtanium, along with treason trials for Sully & co.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I suppose it takes a long time to get those big blue costumes on and off every morning, huh.

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
Morti said:
I hope it gets released, if only to see how they try and justify any sort of plot when the only logical followup to Avatar is "Orbital Bombardment. Mine the resulting wasteland with drones."
Took the words right out of my mouth. I wonder how the people of Earth reacted when those dishevelled miners returned, now unable to mine the ore supposedly keeping civilisation afloat and with stories of how their security forces were slaughtered by the natives.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
The ONLY reason Avatar did so well was because of the 3D technology that you had to go to the theatre to experience. Without it, Avatar doesn't come close to the money it actually made. It was a fad, plain and simple. So what happens with sequels? Will it introduce some new technology that you have to go to the theatre to experience?

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Damian Porter said:
Will it introduce some new technology that you have to go to the theatre to experience?
Smell-o-vision? "Smell what Pandora really would smell like".
Loam and hairballs. Wonderful.
I hope it's about a mass exodus from Earth because they couldn't get the Unobtanium and now the Navi have to deal with billions of humans on their world because they couldn't abide some temporary deforestation.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Morti said:
I hope it gets released, if only to see how they try and justify any sort of plot when the only logical followup to Avatar is "Orbital Bombardment. Mine the resulting wasteland with drones."
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Add my voice to the chorus of people who forgot this movie existed. I don't think a sequel will be a big deal. I'd rather just watch princess Mononoke again.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Yeah. I just wonder: did anyone really ask for this? Avatar was a huge hit, sure, but did it ever even get an active fandom? Did anyone who went to see it think "I can't wait to see more of that world!" Given Cameron's hamfisted writing and bland world building, my guess would be no.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
JaredJones said:
but to loosely quote Abraham Lincoln, "If you're going to promise us pancakes, then there better be some damn pancakes!"

(Confession: I have no idea whether Lincoln ever said that and am on my fifth scotch of the day)
Have you written for Cracked.com? That's the kind of line I'd expect to read in one of their articles. ;)

OT: Here's a funny piece of trivia: Years ago I saw a fully filmed bit piece for Avatar 2 which involved the Pandora General Manager in a meeting on earth where some big whig is condemning the Pandora company for farming military security to amateurs or something.

Basically the Power Barons on Earth were pissed off at what happened on Pandora and now the "official" military was going to intervene to get the unobtanium Earth needs to for humanity to survive.

For his part the manager is sitting there looking scared because he saw just how real the Pandora "Collective Mind" thing is. Heck, he barely survived it.

I haven't been able to Google that scene since but it gave a real picture of what Avatar II's set up could be like.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Ava-what, now?

Oh, right. The big Biodiversity and Ecoresposibility Paean Paid for by McDonald's, IBM and Other Faceless Moguls. I'd mostly forgotten about it. I'm almost glad the tie-in material sucked.

"Stop the Sky People, Jakesully! Buy a Quarter Pounder and stop by Best Buy on your way to the Hometree!"

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Ukomba said:
I'm calling it now, James Cameron waiting to make Avatar 2 the first VR movie, what with the Oculus Rift and other VR head sets coming on the market. He'll be the big push for 360 degree immersive head set theaters.
Do you know how much ticket prices will cost. 3D already played a part in ticket prices going up, VR in cinemas will drive it through the roof. Then Avatar 2 will once again become the highest growing movie due to ticket prices bumping up.

Do not give them ideas!!