Avatar: what do you think of it?

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I liked it, but it was praised way too much. It was nowhere near as good as people made it out to be. Hell when I went to see it a father sat his two kids down a seat away from me and a friend and said to the letter. "You two deserve to see this movie before you die, this is a masterpiece of a film that outshines all that has come before." Not sure where he went after that because he didn't stay to watch.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
It was alright. The story wasn't exactly groundbreaking, but, it was a movie based around amazing special effects and delivered those.

Though, mind you, I found myself rooting for Duke Nukem and the human forces and was rather disgusted when they lost.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Fiad said:
I liked it, but it was praised way too much. It was nowhere near as good as people made it out to be. Hell when I went to see it a father sat his two kids down a seat away from me and a friend and said to the letter. "You two deserve to see this movie before you die, this is a masterpiece of a film that outshines all that has come before." Not sure where he went after that because he didn't stay to watch.
Ha! That's fantastic!

Seeing as that was how it was hyped, when it was merely good, was pretty annoying. It became, however, the highest grossing movie, ever.

And it's still going. I made this thread 30 minutes in, and the final battle is just about to start. EDIT: And restarted my laptop during that time too.

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
Hated it. But just to be fair...

Pros: amazing special effects, action-packed, entertaining

Cons: by-the-numbers idiotic story, cliched one-dimensional characters, downright silly acting from almost every cast member, clearly engineered to make money and not for any artistic merit, geared toward kids/no real sense of any danger in the action

I was entertained, but I came away from the movie objectively aware that it was a bad movie and that I wouldn't waste any time on a second viewing. I had to see it because of all the hype, so did... and it was just a collection of amazing special effects. When Cameron did Terminator 2, he had amazing effects AND an intriguing original story AND character development AND dangerous action with real consequences. Which is why that movie is an enduring classic, and why Avatar will ultimately (just my opinion) be confined to the same dustbin as much of the "Michael Bay Era" of action movies.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
It's alright i guess. Really great use of CG and the world looks damned good. That said, i think they could have done more with it but overall thought it was good, i mean it certainly wasn't bad.

That said though...i don't really know how one can really make a proper sequel out of it though. Cameron confirmed sequels, two in-fact, which makes me wander what the hell can they really do with the story seeing as it wrapped itself up before.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
It's alright.
While it's not Cameron's best work (Aliens, Terminator 1+2), it's a solid movie.
I thought the message was a little heavy-handed, and the characters were flat, it certainly wasn't bad.

It's like Call of Duty to me- fun, entertaining, and worth the time, but without any lasting impact on my life.
It's not a movie I'd watch again.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I thought it was pretty good.

Admittedly I had a bit of a special effects high, but aside from that I thought the story and chracters were decent enough to not be a deal-breaker (and it was cool seeing Sigourney Weaver in another James Cameron sci-fi action vehicle). Sure it's a story that's been told before, but hey, there are some great movies out there that have taken pages from other films (i.e Indiana Jones and old B-movies like Secret of the Incas).

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
I really enjoyed it. All that it needed to do to be good for what it is, was to tell the story well. And it certainly did that. It didn't need to be original, which is where it seems to get a lot of flak. It built a huge, epic, immersive world, and told a cliche yet involving story within it. I don't know what more you could ask for.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I didn't watch it. Why? Because I hate CGI. Its pointless and can still look like crap sometimes even with the biggest budget. I prefer traditional special effects as they bring about a wow factor and make you wonder how they pulled that effect off,

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I thought it was painfully boring, almost as bad as Barry Lyndon (or any other Stanley Kubrick movie really). I practically fell asleep about half an hour in, then decided to turn it off.

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
Varanfan9 said:
I didn't watch it. Why? Because I hate CGI. Its pointless and can still look like crap sometimes even with the biggest budget. I prefer traditional special effects as they bring about a wow factor and make you wonder how they pulled that effect off,
I totally agree with this guy. I just watched this generic money sucking blob just to have my pre-notions confirmed. This movie proved that the general American consensus will almost always be crap.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I really enjoyed it. The plot was pretty cliche/predictable and he message was a bit heavy-handed, but i felt it was good nonetheless

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
It's a pretty good movie that was completely overhyped by the industry. It was advertized as the second coming of Jesus Christ, but it was just a good action flick.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
You know what's weird about Avatar? I thought it was an interesting enough setting, but the characters and plot were a bunch of tired cliches. That said, I love The Dark Crystal, which can be easily accused of the same shortcomings. However, to me, the difference is that the people who made Dark Crystal actually constructed elaborate sets/puppets in the real world instead of in a computer environment. I understand that digital art is difficult and time consuming, but actual physical construction feels like it takes far more work effort and dedication to achieve an equal result. It's why I prefer practical effects.

Buddahcjcc

Sep 22, 2008
redisforever said:
What did you think of the movie Avatar? The one by James Cameron.

I'm watching it now, and I'm enjoying it. It's all been done before, but it's still well made, and entertaining, in my opinion.
lol Disney bought it an theyre making a theme park of it... once it reaches that stage, its overrated imo

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I enjoyed Avatar.

The "message" was too heavy-handed and the characters lacked depth, but it was a good time that managed to not make me feel stupider for watching it.

District 9 was better though.