JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I would have made this a poll, but well, the poll monster has a bottomless stomach right now.

So anyway, how do you recognise people on forums? For me, it tends to be a bit of both. A memorable avatar may stick in my mind even after only being seen once or twice, but I wouldn't be able to tie it to a person. Generally a name takes longer to learn, but once I can remember it, then I'll have a sense of who's behind the handle, so to speak.

How about you?

ebalosus

Mar 14, 2011
If it's someone who keeps their avatar for a long time (like me), then it's the avatar. If it's someone I'm constantly interacting with, then I'll remember their username.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Avatars. Eventually I may remember a person by their username, but that's usually cause they keep changing their avatar and forcing me to, or because their name stands out to me.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I tried to keep it simple for everybody :)

I only recognize a few people. Some by avatar some by username and some I associate their username with an avatar. I'm very busy in real life these days to pay too much attention to such things though. If I was still a teenager I'd recognize everyone.

Well, for example, since Sealune just posted, I get to say that I recognize Sealune by both the name and avatar. One doesn't go without the other.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Largely recognize people most immediately by username. The avatar is kind just something that gets attached, though I do tend to internalize both to some degree.

I changed my avatar constantly years back but I think I'm kinda done doing that.

Aug 31, 2012
Depends on the name/avatar, but usually I'll associate one with the other. If the avatar changes I notice. I still remember name/avatar combinations from ten years ago for users that haven't posted since I stopped lurking.

Also, people are their avatar to me.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Avatars. If I suddenly see a new avatar in a thread then I'll look at their username to see if it's someone I recognize but I mostly remember people based on their avatars. I seem to be the only person to have changed their avatar in a while but most people keep them pretty consistent so it's not usually a problem.

I usually remember names if I've talked... or argued, with the person for an extensive amount of time.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Usually username, but it depends on the username. ebalosus - sorry man, that's just not memorable. The last poster I'd just read as Specter and not internalise the rest of the name

But then there are Avaters like Zykon? that's just striking

Sooo? mixed bag?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Neither really. With a few of the long time regulars as an exception, I'll remember someone I'm conversing with for a couple of weeks. Maybe recognize someone longer than that as "someone I talked with a while back... I think." And other than that the entire collection of names here are just vaguely familiar people I talk with on occasion. Sometimes I'll go back and look at my old posts and realize "oh, I talked with that guy just a few weeks ago... I didn't remember that at all."

Mar 30, 2010
I used to recognise people by their avatars, but I haven't been able to see avatars on this site for quite some time now so I've had to start remembering your names. :)

Sep 24, 2008
I have another take on this.

For my first few years on this forum, I didn't have an avatar. I seldom got responded to.

I find the Hero of All with Lucio, and I wish to show that. And then I'm apparently noticed.

By that interaction, I'd have to say Avatars are important.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
I used to recognise people by their avatars, but I haven't been able to see avatars on this site for quite some time now so I've had to start remembering your names. :)
If you go into your settings, you can turn the avatars back on. That fixed it for me anyway.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I usually recognize an avatar first and then tie it to a username which gets confusing when someone changes their avatar. For example I see the Team Rocket avatar and I instantly know it's Redlin5.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Bit of both. I recognize most of the regulars by their avatar and username, though for less frequent posters it's usually just the username.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Almost always recognise posters by Avatar. I usually imagine that they actually are their Avatar, as well.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Some common posters have had their Avatars long enough that I do recognize them more than the name. Others not as much.
Having an avatar connected to your name makes the name easy to remember too.

My favorite avatar is probably Canadamus Prime.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Back when the site had a much larger population I primarily went by Avatars. As the population shrank I started picking up more names.

Also some of the long time posters occasionally change their Avatars so it was always necessary for me to pay at least a smidgen of attention to user's names.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Silvanus said:
Almost always recognise posters by Avatar. I usually imagine that they actually are their Avatar, as well.
Same!

...Which is why I hate when you change yours! Though you keep to a theme, but its been a while since your nun.

Mar 30, 2010
Catfood220 said:
Grouchy Imp said:
If you go into your settings, you can turn the avatars back on. That fixed it for me anyway.
Huh, well I never. Cheers for that, and good to see you all back!