Avengers 2 Official Synopsis Confirms Vision Origin

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Avengers 2 Official Synopsis Confirms Vision Origin

The thing we all assumed the second casting was announced is confirmed in the first official word on Avengers 2's plot. Mild spoiler warning.

Can something be considered a spoiler when it's been released by the studio making the thing that could potentially be spoiled? I doubt it, but I know lots of you disagree and would prefer not know certain details in advance of seeing a new movie. So be warned, readers, that the next paragraph might actually contain something resembling a spoiler.

When it was announced that did strongly hint as much a few weeks back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132099-Paul-Bettany-To-Play-Vision-In-The-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron].) But today, Marvel finally confirmed the obvious with the release of the first official plot synopsis for the film.

The confirmation? The Avengers' resident Android synthezoid is described as "an old friend in a new form when Paul Bettany becomes Vision." So there you have it. The synopsis also confirms that Ultron starts out as a "peacekeeping" program, though since previously, Ultron was described as having been created to "solve problems", this isn't a reveal so much as a "oh, I see".

As for the rest, hold on to your hats - it's now confirmed that every single previously-announced cast member will, in fact, appear in the film. I know, I know, shocker. Anyway, without further ado, here's the synopsis:

Marvel Studios presents Avengers: Age of Ultron, the epic follow-up to the biggest Super Hero movie of all time. When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth's Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to The Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for an epic and unique global adventure.

Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron stars Robert Downey Jr., who returns as Iron Man, along with Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. Together with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, and with the additional support of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, the team must reassemble to defeat James Spader as Ultron, a terrifying technological villain hell-bent on human extinction. Along the way, they confront two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Wanda Maximoff, played by Elizabeth Olsen, and Pietro Maximoff, played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and meet an old friend in a new form when Paul Bettany becomes Vision.

Written and directed by Joss Whedon and produced by Kevin Feige, Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron is based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series The Avengers, first published in 1963. Get set for an action-packed thrill ride when The Avengers return in Marvel's Avengers:Age of Ultron on May 1, 2015.
I'm not entirely sure why Marvel chose to sit on this information. It isn't as though this rocks our previous understanding of the film. Though it did get us talking about it for months upon months and oh god I'm part of the problem. Anyway, thoughts, true believers? Sound off in comments. Meanwhile, I'll be over in the corner, along with everyone else who guessed the Vision-J.A.R.V.I.S. connection, patting myself on the back.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So the people announced for the film are confirmed for the film? Shocking.

Anyway, more Paul would be good even if he was JARVIS' clone from an alternate satanic dimension

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Nothing about Don Cheadle as War Machine/Iron Patriot? I thought it was already revealed he was making an appearance.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
DaxStrife said:
Nothing about Don Cheadle as War Machine/Iron Patriot? I thought it was already revealed he was making an appearance.
He is definitely in it. However, Don Cheadle isn't, I guess, big enough to be SCREAMED about. However, Falcon is also in the film and he's not mentioned either. Actually, that's kind of an unfortunate coincidence.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
RossaLincoln said:
DaxStrife said:
He is definitely in it. However, Don Cheadle isn't, I guess, big enough to be SCREAMED about. However, Falcon is also in the film and he's not mentioned either. Actually, that's kind of an unfortunate coincidence.
That's what kinda bothers me: why no love for the black characters? I'm sure it's just an oversight but still, what the hell?

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
RossaLincoln said:
DaxStrife said:
I imagine the revelation came to you slowly, as by the the time you finished typing the sentence you were like "Ohhhhh. Oh that's terrible."

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Uh, of course Jarvis becomes Vision. Was anyone seriously doubting this after Paul Bettany was cast?

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Not only do we get Ultron before Hank Pym, its creator, is introduced, we also have the Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Vision on the team before we get the original founding members Ant-Man and Wasp? Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of backwards?

I'm also not quite sold on the inclusion of the Maximoff twins. Lacking the rights to the X-Men might have been beneficial to the MCU; their primary conflict, let's face it, doesn't even make much sense in the comics (at least in the context of the rest of the Marvel Universe). They'd work well on their own, mind you.

Cocoa_Kao

Sep 3, 2010
C. Cain said:
Not only do we get Ultron before Hank Pym, its creator, is introduced, we also have the Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Vision on the team before we get the original founding members Ant-Man and Wasp? Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of backwards?
THIS.
Completely omitting Hank and Janet from the Ultron storyline is the only thing preventing me from being totally excited for this film (Ant-Man is one of my favorite characters, so I am admittedly biased.)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
No Falcon? No WarMachine? No WinterSoldier?
AAAaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

I was hoping at least some "sidekicks" would be making the roster a bit bigger. Then again I guess too big of a group would be difficult to handle.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Booooo! Coulson should be Vision. If the character is an unkillable AI program just downloaded into a droid, what possible i9nvestmentwould we have for the character? It's like asking us to get invested in all the suits Jarvis was piloting in Iron Mn 3 - if they die, so what?

Guffe said:
No Falcon? No WarMachine? No WinterSoldier?
AAAaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

I was hoping at least some "sidekicks" would be making the roster a bit bigger. Then again I guess too big of a group would be difficult to handle.
Hell, no fire breathing, strong-as-an-Asgardian Pepper?

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Cocoa_Kao said:
THIS.
Completely omitting Hank and Janet from the Ultron storyline is the only thing preventing me from being totally excited for this film (Ant-Man is one of my favorite characters, so I am admittedly biased.)
I'm particularly distraught by Janet's absence. Ant-Man gets his own movie, apparently featuring Hank as a mentor archetype and Scott as Ant-Man, but there is no mention of Janet.

Evangeline Lilly was cast as Hope van Dyne, though... Janet's MC2 daughter as an ersatz-Wasp.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Huh, no mention of Clark Greg as Agent Coulson. I kinda thought that the fact Fury faked his death would end up being important. Maybe they are saving that for a later film.

DaxStrife said:
RossaLincoln said:
DaxStrife said:
That's what kinda bothers me: why no love for the black characters? I'm sure it's just an oversight but still, what the hell?
It's probably more to do with the characters will only show up as cameos and won't play a huge role. I mean they don't technically need Don Cheadle to appear if they never show him outside the suit.

Only the big players in the films and/or the high profile actors get mentioned in these announcements. Which is fair enough, we now have ten heroes total across the films so you can't give all of them equal screentime. It is rather awkward that the two black guys are being pushed to the sides.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Lizardon said:
Huh, no mention of Clark Greg as Agent Coulson. I kinda thought that the fact Fury faked his death would end up being important. Maybe they are saving that for a later film.
...what did you think Agents of Shield was about?

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Toadfish1 said:
Lizardon said:
...what did you think Agents of Shield was about?
I meant the fact that the Avengers were lied to. They all still think Coulson is dead as far as we know. I figure that when they find out out about Fury's manipulation would lead to them questioning their faith in Fury and SHIELD.

Or it may just play out like "Oh hey Coulson. You're not dead? Cool!"

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Lizardon said:
(...) I figure that when they find out out about Fury's manipulation would lead to them questioning their faith in Fury and SHIELD.

Or it may just play out like "Oh hey Coulson. You're not dead? Cool!"
I figure the events of The Winter Soldier would lead to them questioning their faith in Fury and SHIELD. What with all the Hydra hijinks.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
The "old friend in a new form" is obviously a reference to Paul Bettany's performance as Chaucer in A Knights Tale, who will be the personality basis for The Vision.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Sylocat said:
Uh, of course Jarvis becomes Vision. Was anyone seriously doubting this after Paul Bettany was cast?
Nope, which is why my self congratulating was - so I hoped - tongue in cheek. I was really aiming to point out the absurdity of Marvel refusing, until now, to confirm it.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Lizardon said:

DaxStrife said:
RossaLincoln said:
DaxStrife said:
It's probably more to do with the characters will only show up as cameos and won't play a huge role. I mean they don't technically need Don Cheadle to appear if they never show him outside the suit.

Only the big players in the films and/or the high profile actors get mentioned in these announcements. Which is fair enough, we now have ten heroes total across the films so you can't give all of them equal screentime. It is rather awkward that the two black guys are being pushed to the sides.
Both Don Cheadle and Anthony Mackie appear more than once out of their suits - in fact, they're in the party scene shown at comic con. However, I should hastily add that you're right, that this is muuch more about emphasizing the actors who have become synonymous with the MCU over the last 6 and half years. It is, however, an unfortunate coincidence. (But I do believe in this instance it is just a coincidence.)