Avengers - Age of Ultron - Great Fun

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
martyrdrebel27 said:
also, did they kill off quicksilver just as a middle finger to fox?
I think his actor was only signed up to do one film, so why bother keeping him alive when Scarlet Witch is going to be back in another film? Still, a damn shame to waste this Quicksilver when IMO he works better in action and in character than DoFP's Quicksilver.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Evonisia said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
I think his actor was only signed up to do one film, so why bother keeping him alive when Scarlet Witch is going to be back in another film? Still, a damn shame to waste this Quicksilver when IMO he works better in action and in character than DoFP's Quicksilver.
To be fair, he could be brought back. They do have that regeneration tech that they patched Hawkeye up and built Vision with, and they never actually declared him to be dead(he just looked mighty dead while Hawkeye lounged on a bench). So he could return through the magic of popularity and higher paying contracts.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Evonisia said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
To be fair, he could be brought back. They do have that regeneration tech that they patched Hawkeye up and built Vision with, and they never actually declared him to be dead(he just looked mighty dead while Hawkeye lounged on a bench). So he could return through the magic of popularity and higher paying contracts.
I'd say Wanda losing her shit when Pietro gets gunned down through their whole psychic link, and afterwards very clearly telling Ultron that she felt Pietro's death just moments before and ripping out its heart was a definite signal that Quicksilver is very dead

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
shiajun said:
Scars Unseen said:
Evonisia said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
I'd say Wanda losing her shit when Pietro gets gunned down through their whole psychic link, and afterwards very clearly telling Ultron that she felt Pietro's death just moments before and ripping out its heart was a definite signal that Quicksilver is very dead
no one stays dead in the MCU, Fury is alive, Coulson is alive, even though the Tahiti program can't be used again ('cause it kinda got blown up) there are other ways to bring him back (time gem for starters)

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Just got back from seeing it, I thought it was pretty good and on the level with the first movie. I still feel Cap 2 is the best marvel movie so far but Ultron was very entertaining even with how quick everything flew by. You can definitely feel that Whedon influence with the dialogue though, seriously his style is so easy to identify now that I think it pulls a little away from his films because its just too on the nose. I really liked his Firefly series because of the banter between crew members but seeing it in the Avengers just makes me want to roll my eyes a little.

Feb 28, 2008
jab136 said:
shiajun said:
Scars Unseen said:
Evonisia said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
no one stays dead in the MCU, Fury is alive, Coulson is alive, even though the Tahiti program can't be used again ('cause it kinda got blown up) there are other ways to bring him back (time gem for starters)
Having said all that, Fury is alive because he fulfils a patriarch role that no one else does; Coulson is alive in the Marvel Universe but doesn't actually appear in Avengers 2 (Whedon has spoken about this); I don't really see how QS coming would work thematically or structurally -- they've had the emotional death sacrifice scene and there will be plenty of heroes on the roster in the next two Avengers films without him.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
RatGouf said:
For the first time since the first Avengers film Marvel didn't seem to imply some form of bigotry where somehow it was implied that only Christianity was somehow the one true religion when compared to Norse Mythology. Then later on might've left some wiggle room just in case.

I got myself mad in the first Avengers film when Cap declare that God doesn't dress like that when referring to Thor. Now I don't have a problem with the idea that Captain America is Christian. But someone who is representing America in such a way shouldn't be putting their religion above others like its somehow the truth.

Then in Thor 2, Odin declared that the Norse Gods weren't Gods. Because they grow old & die. That just seemed like a pretty week argument. But it was also one that could imply that the Christian god is a real god because he isn't affected by time.

Now for the spoilers for why I think Avengers 2 finally took a dig at Christianity & how they might've left some wiggle room.
So Ultron had some habit of referring to Christian beliefs like Noah's Flood. During such statements no one he was talking to tried to defend the bible by acting like it was out of context. At best he was declared to be sick.

Later on wiggle room is left starting where Thor has to hit the container Vision was in. Near the end of the movie some of the Avengers then start talking about how some greater evil had set all of this up. Then during the credits you have Thanos stating that if he wants something done right he has to do it himself.

And from that it could be implied that maybe Ultron didn't truly have control over Ultron's actions. If maybe Thanos could have somehow remotely controlled Ultron into taking the bible out of context. (Which as far as I'm concerned it didn't.)

Then again The Marvel Universe also has The Savage Lands where man & dinosaurs co exist. If they don't retcon that into something similar to Jurassic Park when it comes to these movies.... Well.... I'm not going to be comfortable with the idea that The Marvel Universe will somehow remain like The Flintstones with an older & younger audience.
Interesting thought for the spoilered part. However, I think you are thinking too much about Captain America's line in the first movie. It was just a joke, which people are cracking all the time in the movies. To me, Marvel seems pretty keen on declaring there are is no God or gods, just that what people made into gods were just aliens.

Count me in as the few who liked this more the the first. I can see people getting annoyed about the jokes being cracked all the time, but I loved it, especially the one ongoing joke. The fight scenes were much better, with lots more team work involved.

I know some were disappointed in Ultron, but I loved him despite being overwhelmed at the end. Everything was going well until he lost his two puppets (because they lost their strings). I liked his humorous side, and was overall quite an interesting villain.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I really appreciated that the MCU films have, by this point, earned the ability to showcase a collection of superheros like this without getting bogged down in character arcs. In any other movie, I would say that the lack of character development was a problem. But we already understand the character transformations of Stark, Thor, and Captain America from their own independent films, so we could accept their characters being static while the film focused on the stories of Hawkeye, Hulk, Black Widow, etc. In my opinion, it was an extremely effective directing decision that virtually no other movie could pull off.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
jab136 said:
shiajun said:
Scars Unseen said:
Evonisia said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Having said all that, Fury is alive because he fulfils a patriarch role that no one else does; Coulson is alive in the Marvel Universe but doesn't actually appear in Avengers 2 (Whedon has spoken about this); I don't really see how QS coming would work thematically or structurally -- they've had the emotional death sacrifice scene and there will be plenty of heroes on the roster in the next two Avengers films without him.
Whatever the reason Quicksilver got killed off it's smart of Marvel that they did, since like all speedsters Quicksilver is always going to be a walking plot hole. It's hard for the writers to believably challenge someone able to move as fast as Quicksilver does and/or any real chance of killing him not to mention threaten anybody he wants to protect without either powering him down somehow or having him just disappear for whatever reason when his presence would otherwise kill the plot. If the actor wanted out that just gave them even more reason to do this than they had already.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Super Cyborg said:
Interesting thought for the spoilered part. However, I think you are thinking too much about Captain America's line in the first movie. It was just a joke, which people are cracking all the time in the movies. To me, Marvel seems pretty keen on declaring there are is no God or gods, just that what people made into gods were just aliens.

Count me in as the few who liked this more the the first. I can see people getting annoyed about the jokes being cracked all the time, but I loved it, especially the one ongoing joke. The fight scenes were much better, with lots more team work involved.

I know some were disappointed in Ultron, but I loved him despite being overwhelmed at the end. Everything was going well until he lost his two puppets (because they lost their strings). I liked his humorous side, and was overall quite an interesting villain.
Part of me feels like I would calm down if Jesus was a Marvel character who was unworthy of his powers to the point they were given to someone else.

The problem I have with the first Avengers film was the instant alien death. The second Avengers film doesn't have that kind of problem. So I also liked the Second more than the First for that reason. Though I didn't notice whether or not one was more witty than the other as its been awhile since I've seen the first.

I never thought the twins were puppets.

Rather they were the only 2 who had thought Ultron was a greater good than The Avengers. When they found out Ultron's plans that's when they found Ultron more evil. I suppose if Ultron was anymore biblical he might've intended the twins as his own Adam & Eve.

Losing them brought Ultron some sense of loneliness. So by the end of the film there's the last Ultron lonely, afraid of death, & still yearning for a greater world via an end times.

Ultron's sense of humor was probably the only thing that tied him back to Tony Stark. Without it Klaw might've not known that Ultron had some form of past with Tony Stark. Or that scene might've felt more forced in.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I finally watched this today and overall yeah, it felt more like a mindless action movie like Transformers.

What bugged me the most was at the very start, the team are back and kicking Hydra butts but with no pretense. Yes I know they were after Loki scepter but last time I remember, they all went they seperate ways after the first film and they did appear in each other solo movie (well except for Black Widow in Winter Soldier). Iron Man is the worse offender since in Iron Man 3, he stop being Iron Man to show his commintment to Pepper and here we are, he's wearing the suit once again, kicking some arse!

It felt like there should had been a prelude on how and why the team got back together. For now I guessing Thor inform Cap of the gem in the scepter while he was looking for Bucky and somehow gain access to their whereabout and they got the team back together despite Tony protest.

While I do loved Ultron personality but he did became less menacing and more human/ lonely like since he was somewhat dishearted when Wanda betray him and spoke to Black Widow cos he had no one to talked to.

Yeah I also agreed they should had more characters development but consider the film was over 2.5 hours long, they couldn't make it any longer!

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
RatGouf said:
Super Cyborg said:

Part of me feels like I would calm down if Jesus was a Marvel character who was unworthy of his powers to the point they were given to someone else.

The problem I have with the first Avengers film was the instant alien death. The second Avengers film doesn't have that kind of problem. So I also liked the Second more than the First for that reason. Though I didn't notice whether or not one was more witty than the other as its been awhile since I've seen the first.

I never thought the twins were puppets.

Rather they were the only 2 who had thought Ultron was a greater good than The Avengers. When they found out Ultron's plans that's when they found Ultron more evil. I suppose if Ultron was anymore biblical he might've intended the twins as his own Adam & Eve.

Losing them brought Ultron some sense of loneliness. So by the end of the film there's the last Ultron lonely, afraid of death, & still yearning for a greater world via an end times.

Ultron's sense of humor was probably the only thing that tied him back to Tony Stark. Without it Klaw might've not known that Ultron had some form of past with Tony Stark. Or that scene might've felt more forced in.
I agree that the climax was much better because there wasn't the alien instant death, among other things that make it better. I feel that with the first Avengers having happened, you can get a better sense of comraderie among everyone, and allow for those better action scenes. Also felt like there was more character there for everyone, and that's not accounting for individual development from other movies.

Also, seems like you have something against Christianity. Might help to not take references to seriously then, because of everything the movies are, they aren't platforms to preach a religion.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Ok, I mostly loved this movie. Ultron was a great villain (James Spader FTW) and the action did a great job of keeping my attention.

Quicksilver's death was entirely too clever for it's own good.

I appreciate what went into it. The misdirecting tells heavily direct a viewer into thinking that Hawkeye is going to kick the bucket (Hawkeye making constant reference to his perceived uselessness, introducing Hawkeye's family, repeated references that 'someone is probably going to die on this mission because SUPER SERIOUSNESS GUYS'). And I like how they set up that Quicksilver still can get hit by stray bullets when he's sprinting through the battlefield. Had 90% of the scene where Quicksilver sacrificed his life to save Hawkeye played out as it did, it would have been perfect.

But having Quicksilver basically spike the camera and quip "You didn't see that coming..."?

Fuck right off.

It might be as small thing but it sort of tainted my viewing experience. I know that it could be taken two ways ("Oh Hawkeye, you didn't see those bullets" and "Haha viewers, you fell for this clever charade!"). But it felt patronizing and sort of broke the fourth wall. It sort of tainted the rest of my viewing experience because it shook me from my default superhero 'giddy spectator' mode and threw me into 'grumpy cynic' mode.

I still liked the movie a lot. In fact, it's probably the most fun I've had all year. However, that moment is going to be one I annoy people at parties with for years. :/

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I just saw the movie today, I quite liked it.

A lot of people said Loki's scepter was the Mind Gem, but the Mind Gem was yellow, and the staff was blue. But it turned out to house the gem. Now it powers Vision. I kept asking myself "Why would Thanos give up one of the Stones?" Answer is; He wouldn't. Not unless there was something for him to gain out of it. I think he has some sort of control over the Stone, and now over Vision.

p.s, Quicksilver trying to catch the hammer mid-flight, awesome.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Super Cyborg said:
I agree that the climax was much better because there wasn't the alien instant death, among other things that make it better. I feel that with the first Avengers having happened, you can get a better sense of comraderie among everyone, and allow for those better action scenes. Also felt like there was more character there for everyone, and that's not accounting for individual development from other movies.

Also, seems like you have something against Christianity. Might help to not take references to seriously then, because of everything the movies are, they aren't platforms to preach a religion.
If I could have any gripes with Avengers 2 it would be that I think Falcon didn't get enough screen time.

If it was the other way around. Where Jesus was a fictional character in the Marvel Universe. Who could then be replaced by someone else for now being unworthy. While the majority then believed Thor was their Lord & Savior. Where Marvel could then decide not to make Thor a fictional character because they might offend a lot of people. Well that would still be a form of bigotry. And it annoys me a lot that people who call themselves Politically Correct would intentionally or unintentionally allow this bigotry. Either Marvel should take all religions out of context, respect the religions they're doing fiction on, or not write about real world religions at all.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Link_to_Future said:
But having Quicksilver basically spike the camera and quip "You didn't see that coming..."?

Fuck right off.

It might be as small thing but it sort of tainted my viewing experience. I know that it could be taken two ways ("Oh Hawkeye, you didn't see those bullets" and "Haha viewers, you fell for this clever charade!"). But it felt patronizing and sort of broke the fourth wall. It sort of tainted the rest of my viewing experience because it shook me from my default superhero 'giddy spectator' mode and threw me into 'grumpy cynic' mode.
If you think that line was trying to be condescending to the audience you missed the entire point.

The point of that line was turning a running gag into tragic last words. People were quipping that line back and forth with Quicksilver the entire movie, particularly with Hawkeye, as a way to be condescending to the people Quicksilver was owning with his speed and then when they were owning him back. It wasn't directed at the audience at all, it was his way of saying "you didn't expect me to be good enough to sacrifice myself for someone I was trying to kill not too long ago did you Hawkeye?"

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
If you think that line was trying to be condescending to the audience you missed the entire point.
Ok, I didn't notice that it had been a recurring line through the film. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, I still don't like it. Just because that level of context is there doesn't mean that my interpretation is invalid. There is still a core of "entirely too clever" that put me off immediately.

Am I being needlessly stubborn? Probably. I'll need time to separate from this before I watch it again so this annoys me less. Fresh eyes I suppose.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Saw it last night and while I think the first movie was actually the better film, I still liked Age of Ultron more since it actually had a plot.

Having said that, the movie was kind of a mess.
His entire relationship with Black Widow felt incredibly forced. It just came out of nowhere. I felt very little for their relationship and overall, it just seemed like Whedon was using it as something to do in his slower scenes. The only good thing that came from this was Stark's "you better not be playing hide the zucchini" line. The audience gasped at that one. Also, I really don't understand just how much control over his powers Bruce has. The amount of control he has seems to depend on what the plot requires of him and it seems like a contrived reason to send him away until the next Avengers movie.
I should preface this by saying I like that they're using Hawkeye more and I enjoyed him significantly more in this film than the previous one. The scenes with his family felt even more forced than the romance I just mentioned. It just seemed like they needed to come up with an excuse for why he wasn't around to help in the other movies. Everything about it just felt off though. It seemed like Whedon just thought "what is America's perfect vision of the ideal family... okay, let's give him that while making it feel as fake as possible." That entire section of being on the farmhouse felt so pointless. They needed a place to lie-low? Why? Ultron wasn't much of a threat in straight up combat. They should have just been charging straight back out to fight him. But no, we needed a contrived slow scene to give the movie a normal pacing.
Thor's dream sequence seemed to be less about setting up for future movies and more about creating a reason for Whedon to not have to worry about the most overpowered member of the team for a chunk of the film. Honestly, he just felt underutilized in this movie. I get that Whedon tried to flesh out some of the lesser members, but IMO, he didn't do it well enough to justify taking away screen time from an already well established and entertaining character. Also, why is Thor the only one shown stuff that's actually happening? Why is he given some sort of weird Infinity Stone revelation when everyone else is just shown their fears... I guess you could say that he only really unlocks that from the pool, but to that never before scene plot device I say "fuck right off."
Scarlet Witch just felt like a plot device to get the Hulk fighting Iron Man. Quicksilver, while a lot of fun to watch in action, was also kind of lame. They just seemed so unnecessary to the movie and took away screen time that could have been better used elsewhere. I know Whedon tried to flesh them out, but Quicksilver's poorly acted monologue about the Stark missile felt EVEN MORE forced than the Hawkeye family stuff. Seriously, why is he getting all emotional with a fucking robot? Also, this is completely aside from any criticism, but I totally called Quicksilver's death from the very first trailer. When the trailer showed Scarlet Witch dropping to her knees screaming, I immediately assumed she'd just lost her brother. Though, admittedly, I thought that was going to happen sooner in the film and be the trigger for her turning against Ultron. My biggest complaint about the twins is that Scarlet Witch didn't just kill Tony when she had the chance. That didn't make any sense to me. After Pietro's story, it seemed like they had every reason to want Stark dead yet shouldn't have really given much of a damn about the rest of the team. You have the guy you hate most in the entire world in front of you, you want him dead, and instead of killing him you choose to mess with his brain which will maybe kill him in the long run? I don't buy it.
I found the action scenes to be almost universally better than the first movie's. However, the final standoff was pretty underwhelming and the occasional use of slow-mo felt really out of place (apart from the Quicksilver stuff, obviously) and had me rolling my eyes.

A lot of people have disliked Ultron but I found him to be the best Marvel villain since Loki (though, almost every other villain has sucked so I don't know if that's something to brag about):
First of all, no, Ultron wasn't threatening at all, but I don't recall that ever being the case with any villain I've seen in the MCU. I made my peace a while ago with MCU villains not being scary and/or threatening. Yes, he probably should have been able to do a lot more damage to the world given that he was infecting the internet, but hey, every movie has its plot-holes, this one I found easier to ignore.
Second, I actually liked his humor. No matter how much he denies it, he has some of Stark's personality inside of him, and that makes him quite interesting. Seeing him struggle with the ideas in his head (maintaining a human form while hating us) was oddly tragic and I felt like the occasional line hinting at this did more to flesh out this AI than any of the other forced stuff with the other characters. I was actually a bit sad when Vision killed the last remaining body of Ultron.
Other stuff I really liked:
Cap has settled nicely into his role as the leader.
Really funny.
Vision was great.
The dreams show to the Avengers, apart from Thor, offered some really interesting insight into their minds, especially with Cap. Though, now that I think about it...
Hawkeye of all people was able to react fast enough to avoid her mind stuff? I feel like if he was able to avoid it, Thor and Cap definitely should have been able to avoid it. Just seemed like an excuse to let him have his one liner and also not give him too much screen time since he was already getting his "character development stuff" later with his family.
Despite all of my complaints (like I said, the first movie was a better film), I still enjoyed the movie immensely and am excited to see it again as soon as possible.

Edit: Also, the stuff with Nick Fury and his Helicarrier that he somehow gets doesn't make any sense with regards to Winter Soldier stuff. It just felt like a deus ex machina thing that they haphazardly stuck in so that they'd be able to
evacuate the flying city at the end.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Dunno if anyone's mentioned it. Yes, Cap refers to the twins as "enhanced". These movies take place in the same universe as Marvel: Agents of Shield. That show beat the movies to the punch with the concept of Inhumans: Super Powered aliens that came to Earth and lived among us and had kids. This replaces the Mutant concept owned by Fox.

I think Quick Silver and Scarlett Witch are, in the non-Magneto is Dad continuity, the children of another speedster character named The Whizzer and I think Miss America.

But did I hear someone in AOU say the word Adamantium? As in Wolverine's claws?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I just saw it Sunday. I agree that it perhaps didn't surpass the first Avengers, but it was still great fun. And I actually kind of appreciated Spader's understated take on Ultron; it would have been easy to chew scenery with such a role, but his thoughtful menace was quite enjoyable.