Avengers Cost NYC $160 Billion in Damages

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
lazarocruz said:
I always got a kick out of how this large scale super hero destruction problem is handled within Marvel comics. There is actually an insurance/construction corporation called Damage Control which is responsible for fixing up all the damage caused by super beat downs. Damage Control employees are an odd mixture of suit stuffed Bureaucrats, and low-rent (we're talking Z-Level) super heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)
I'm surprised I don't know about this (I consider my comic knowledge vast), I assumed they kept referring to Damage Control as just a general term for clean-up crews. The funniest bit, when I read this I immediately thought "oh man, Spider-Man would have a field day with these guys" and who should appear in the image of that Wikipedia article?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Robert Ewing said:
Wow, imagine how fucked they'd be if this movie flopped?
I see you read the title of the article, but I'm afraid you failed to actually understand what it was about.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Pfft. Puh-lease. In this Marvel universe, Tony Stark is worth WAY more than 160 billion dollars, and with the combined might of him, SHIELD, and the other heroes, they could easily fix the whole damn city in a week or so.

I'm pretty sure people would drop lawsuits against Hulk if they knew how angry he'd get if he lost.

MahouSniper

May 21, 2009
I'd like to see how this attack would stack up against the bombings of London, Tokyo, and Berlin during World War II since those seem like more comparable events.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
What is the point of this research? People waste time crunching numbers on a fictional disaster happening in the USA... for a "what if" situation. Go watch 2012 and try to come up with how much that will cost the world.

Actually that is fairly easy to answer. The answer being $ 0 (zero dollars). Yes, because at that point money has lost all of its value.

Now excuse me while I am going to do something productive with my time.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
It always takes an accountant or what ever they are to spoil an fight or battle.
But if the choice was have mid-guard distressed by monsters from another dimension or have some collateral damage Even if it is a lot. It just sucks to be in the insurance business.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Lumber Barber said:
The Escapist can't into naming articles. I was extremely happy, hoping some nasty shit happened in New York so that I can laugh my ass off, but as usual, misleading titles to grab attention have tricked me. This seems to be the norm on this website.
Hate to disappoint you, but this city ain't never gonna fall. ;]

Jun 16, 2010
Lumber Barber said:
The Escapist can't into naming articles. I was extremely happy, hoping some nasty shit happened in New York so that I can laugh my ass off, but as usual, misleading titles to grab attention have tricked me. This seems to be the norm on this website.
9/11 wasn't enough for you...?
If the Escapist isn't working maybe these forums [http://www.psychforums.com/antisocial-personality] would suit you better.

Jun 16, 2010
Lumber Barber said:
James Joseph Emerald said:
Lumber Barber said:
9/11 wasn't enough for you...?
If the Escapist isn't working maybe these forums [http://www.psychforums.com/antisocial-personality] would suit you better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment
I don't want people in NYC to die. Stop thinking so fucking low of your fellow human beings.
There was absolutely no hint of sarcasm or humour in your post.
Dark humour is hard to pull off... maybe you should stick to arrow in the knee jokes.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
And this is exactly why, in any sembelence of a cross between the real world and the Marvel universe, New York City would be a smouldering pile of rubble left abandoned by the near-every-week catastrophies that occur within it.

Seriously, does no other major city exist in the Marvel universe outside of New York City?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
why is Loki Thors nemesis? Liko was jsut a trickster int he mythology wasnt he?

in fact I think loki came up with the Idea to get thor to dress in drag to trick a bunch of goblins who stole thors hammer......mythology, not the comics
Loki was super jealous of Thor because Odin favored him more, you know for not being a douche bag. For the most part he was just a harmless prankster and Thor even let him tag along with him on super awesome adventures occasionally, but as time went on Loki became less prankster and more straight up evil to the point that during the Ragnarok he leads an army against the Aesir.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Can we report an Escapist writer for having a misleading title? :3

Anyways, I do think it's a neat little study. Anyone notice that the destruction heroes cause is arguably worse than that of the villain they're facing? You really gotta wonder hypothetically how a city (or hell, even nation) is supposed to recover after such an UNnatural disaster.
Gotta say not really on the destruction part. The only reason there's a lot of destruction is the villains they're fighting have a lot of power too, so if the heroes wasn't around then the villains would still wreck stuff, just a lot more of it since there's no one to stop them. Like if the Avengers didn't exist in that movie NYC would've either got totally destroyed/taken over by the aliens or the whole city would've gotten nuked.

If something like that happened IRL hells yeah the rebuilding process would be extremely painful and expensive, but at least the city and it's people will be around to do it.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
i dont think tony stark can actually pay that bill.

actually, i wonder how much money in damage batman has caused?......or the x-men for that matter.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
The Great JT said:
And this is exactly why, in any sembelence of a cross between the real world and the Marvel universe, New York City would be a smouldering pile of rubble left abandoned by the near-every-week catastrophies that occur within it.

Seriously, does no other major city exist in the Marvel universe outside of New York City?
i do remember deadpool tearing shit up in san Francisco and atlanta....but then again, im not sure deadpool counts

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeash, don't scare me like that. I thought that there was a riot or something,

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"A super showdown would cost NYC twice as much as 9/11."

Now there's a missed Team America joke if ever I saw one.

Subject7

Nov 2, 2010
I wanted to punch the guy in the movie who started talking about "accountability" with relations to the damages done.

Avengers: "You're welcome jack@$$."

What kind of fictional world do we (not) live in where a super hero has to debate whether or not saving someone is worth the financial risk?

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
I hate it when they state how much damage was caused saving a city...

"Fine we won't help then, see how much it costs then!"

It should be how much money they saved the world.