Avengers' Endgame

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
..Wow, y'all are a bunch of negative nancies aren't ya?

I'm hoping for an action-packed fight and a happy ending. I dunno, after the "Empire Strikes Back" feel of the last film, I'm ready for their "Return of the Jedi" if you catch my drift. Who's with me?
Dude everybody knows they're gonna retcon the "dark" ending of the previous movie. It's a Disney movie AND a supehero movie AND even if these weren't superheroes (ie. resurrection's never a big deal) just about every "dead" character has an upcoming movie or show lined up on IMDB anyway. Thanos' win is meaningless, just a contrived way to sell you two movies instead of one.
...Okay, fair point. Though in this case I'm not complaining.. but that's just me. I'm looking forward to seeing Thanos get curbstomped, how about anyone else?
Sure, Brolin was good being hateful. The problem is that in the interest of keeping things PG every MCU villain always dies either by their own hand or that of another villain. I knew Thanos wasn't dying as soon as Thor swung that axe at him. So it's going to be something super unsatisfying as per usual. They already tried punching him, what's left?

My curiosity is purely morbid and hinges on speculating what kind of hoops the writers are gonna jump through in order to A) revive everybody with franchise potential, B) write out all the actors who are sick of an easy paycheck and C) contrive a happy ending that paves the road to 22 other movies. Either way it's just a corporate hack job.
I think most people will prefer a happy ending. I can see how it could be considered "cheap", I'm not denying that... but I guess I just prefer that kind of ending. Also, it's kind of a given with comic book movies.

(I am willing to concede your points at least)

Personally, I feel like this movie should be the grand finale... but we all know that's never gonna happen.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Hawki said:
Lufia Erim said:
As far as i'm concerned infinity wars ending was perfect and nothing else comes after that. I'm legitimately not going to see "endgame" and act like infinity war is the end of the series.
I'm kinda inclined to agree.

If I was under the impression that Infinity War was a series ender, or at least wouldn't be undone, I'd probably be more charitable to it. It would be a genuine subversion of tropes, superhero or otherwise, where the "bad guy" wins, despite all the efforts of the protagonists. But nup - the snap's going to be undone, and Marvel hasn't even tried to hide this. Oh sure, some characters may end up permenantly dead, but it's kinda small fry in the larger context.
Not only that, but, in my opinion, it makes sense. Thanos isn't some Evil villain out for destruction for the sake of it. His reasoning makes sense from a logical standpoint. He himself has made sacrifices for " the greater good". His methods are unbiased and "fair". The foreshadowing of the ending when Tony stark asks Thanos " And the what?" and he replies that he is going to sit and watch the sunset. The fact that Dr. Strange forsees one unlikely scenario for the avengers victory.

All of that seems cheapened by the mere existence of " Endgame".

Endgame turns a stellar movie series ( and fantastic ending) to another generic super hero film. And to me that's tragic.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
Not only that, but, in my opinion, it makes sense. Thanos isn't some Evil villain out for destruction for the sake of it. His reasoning makes sense from a logical standpoint.
But it doesn't make sense, not in the least. Even if you grant Thanos' point, that life inevitably and catastrophically overwhelms resources -- and frankly there's no in-universe evidence we've seen to support that -- all his 'solution' does is kick the can down the road a generation or two.

At absolute best.

At least his comicbook justification -- to impress Lady Death, the love of his life -- made a certain twisted sense. In an attempt, I presume, to simplify the story and toss in a rather sick and twisted environmental message in the process, the movie version of Thanos has nothing but a well-delivered stream of unjustifiable mental diarrhea. He's brutally murdered millions before the gauntlet, now trillions after, and for what? A meaningless blip, on any real timescale, in the universes' population?

GG, Thanos, GG.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm tired of trailers showing all the good bits. They make going to the movie pointless.

I don't know if this would have sold me on Engame. But, at this point in the MCU, if you weren't already invested, your never going to be

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
..Wow, y'all are a bunch of negative nancies aren't ya?
My ears are burning!

I don't know, though. It's quite possible after the last movie, nothing wass going to match that hype. I'm still not all that impressed, though.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Dude everybody knows they're gonna retcon the "dark" ending of the previous movie. It's a Disney movie AND a supehero movie AND even if these weren't superheroes (ie. resurrection's never a big deal) just about every "dead" character has an upcoming movie or show lined up on IMDB anyway. Thanos' win is meaningless, just a contrived way to sell you two movies instead of one.
I'm fine with them coming back because I'm an adult with pattern recognition. What amazed me is the number of people who were pumping their fists in the air because finally there were stakes and death was real in the MCU and...how the hell does anyone actually believe that to be the case?

They gave us a solid ending with some good deliveries, and it was cool. Just amazes me that anyone thought this was for realsies.

I'm also really annoyed by creative trying to PT Barnum us. "Oh, they're dead for real," they said as Spider-Man 2 and BP 2 and GotG 3 were being confirmed. "Oh, the title for 4 wasn't spoken in 3, they said while half the internet guessed it was Endgame. I don't get the point, since these aren't interviews kids were going to watch.

trunkage said:
I don't know if this would have sold me on Engame. But, at this point in the MCU, if you weren't already invested, your never going to be
This much a least is true. I doubt anyone's going to give a miss to the movie that was going to watch it before.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
(For some reason I'm remembering the opening to"Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Anyone recall that show? Really wish it hadn't been cancelled...)
Forgot I was gonna add this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qli9QYTp344

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Something Amyss said:
I'm fine with them coming back because I'm an adult with pattern recognition. What amazed me is the number of people who were pumping their fists in the air because finally there were stakes and death was real in the MCU and...how the hell does anyone actually believe that to be the case?

They gave us a solid ending with some good deliveries, and it was cool. Just amazes me that anyone thought this was for realsies.

I'm also really annoyed by creative trying to PT Barnum us. "Oh, they're dead for real," they said as Spider-Man 2 and BP 2 and GotG 3 were being confirmed. "Oh, the title for 4 wasn't spoken in 3, they said while half the internet guessed it was Endgame. I don't get the point, since these aren't interviews kids were going to watch.
Methinks the mistake they made, myself included, is that they assumed people were already aware of the comicbooks' storyline direction and how easily everything can, and often is, undone. And that they intend to adapt these very comic books all the way through. It's surprising how many people aren't aware of this, as I have never read any them at all yet have absorbed enough through classic cultural osmosis to understand how it generally plays out and where it's sort of heading. Yet people treat this infinity war saga as if the source material doesn't exist or marvel is just supposed to give up a fraction of the way through the original plot direction cause a specific ending felt better than the rest.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Something Amyss said:

Methinks the mistake they made, myself included, is that they assumed people were already aware of the comicbooks' storyline direction and how easily everything can, and often is, undone. And that they intend to adapt these very comic books all the way through. It's surprising how many people aren't aware of this, as I have never read any them at all yet have absorbed enough through classic cultural osmosis to understand how it generally plays out and where it's sort of heading. Yet people treat this infinity war saga as if the source material doesn't exist or marvel is just supposed to give up a fraction of the way through the original plot direction cause a specific ending felt better than the rest.
Huh, never though it of it that way. I'm personally not complaining if it's undone. Just seeing characters I know and love disappear into dust hurts... especially Spider-Man's death. Props to his actor for making the moment both memorable and heart-breaking.

A recent video that kinda fits the chat:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzttEsGNnk

Something Amyss said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
(For some reason I'm remembering the opening to"Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Anyone recall that show? Really wish it hadn't been cancelled...)
Forgot I was gonna add this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qli9QYTp344
Thanks, I really needed that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wintermute said:
Someone tell me this is the last superhero movie.
Oh no they're doing a Captain Marvel movie, another Spider-Man, another Black Panther, a third Guardians, the Chinese equivalent of Black Panther (forget the character's name), a Black Widow movie, an Eternals movie and possibly a Blade reboot. Also Fox's making a Dark Phoenix movie (again) and DCEU has 7 or so projects lined up. Superheroes are here to outlive herpes.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Myria said:
He's brutally murdered millions before the gauntlet, now trillions after, and for what? A meaningless blip, on any real timescale, in the universes' population?

GG, Thanos, GG.
No probs. Just fire up the genocide machine again once the universe has repopulated.

Although frankly, given population increase trends, it's going to require another dose of random death in, ooh, maybe 50 years or so. And so on until, perhaps, everyone learns the lesson and stops reproducing.

Although let's face it, there's obviously going to be some kind of temporal or dimensional fiddle where everyone gets brought back to life anyway. Obvious is, after all, obvious.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Myria said:
Don't forget the Russo brothers confirmed he killed half of ALL life. ALL life, including plants, non-sentient animals and bacteria.
So in order to reduce starvation from over population, he halved the population. Then halved their food sources, thus not fixing anything.

Also killing half of all bacteria kills life. Straight up, that's the end of all life as we know it everyone, full stop. Thanos ended life completely, and its just lazy writing that no one noticed.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Silentpony said:
Also killing half of all bacteria kills life. Straight up, that's the end of all life as we know it everyone, full stop. Thanos ended life completely, and its just lazy writing that no one noticed.
Bacterial growth is so fast that if half of it is wiped out, it'd get back to the initial value before anyone even really noticed. You remove or kill large percentages of your skin bacteria every time you take a shower, and most of it is back by the end of the day. You kill huge amounts of your mouth's bacteria with a good mouthwash gargle, and a few hours later it's like not much ever happened.

Like for instance if you killed half the plankton in the sea (and nothing else), at worst a few fish and whales and so on will go a bit hungrier for a day or two.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Agema said:
No probs. Just fire up the genocide machine again once the universe has repopulated.
Isn't the Infinity Gauntlet kinda busted now? IIRC, after he does the snap, it's left broken, or smoking, or something like that.

Agema said:
Like for instance if you killed half the plankton in the sea (and nothing else), at worst a few fish and whales and so on will go a bit hungrier for a day or two.
Given the effects of climate change on the world's oceans, that's actually a terrifying, more permanant possibility. And if plankton go, a whole lot of sealife is going to go with it.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wintermute said:
Someone tell me this is the last superhero movie.
lol no

Expect at least another decade of this. I think by now Marvel/Disney is at halfway with this project.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hawki said:
Agema said:
Isn't the Infinity Gauntlet kinda busted now? IIRC, after he does the snap, it's left broken, or smoking, or something like that.
Eh something something comics. Works for everything.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Agema said:
Silentpony said:
Bacterial growth is so fast that if half of it is wiped out, it'd get back to the initial value before anyone even really noticed. You remove or kill large percentages of your skin bacteria every time you take a shower, and most of it is back by the end of the day. You kill huge amounts of your mouth's bacteria with a good mouthwash gargle, and a few hours later it's like not much ever happened.

Wouldn't killing half of all the gut bacteria in you prevent you from digesting food? Likewise bacteria is needed for plants to grow, so wouldn't kill half of that either prevent new growth or worse kill off seeds?
And across all species, everywhere? How long can for example bees go with half bacteria? You and I as more complex organisms may survive, but less complex? Wouldn't they die very quickly and effectively decimate entire ecosystems across the galaxy?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, fair enough that people don't know the comic and maybe Marvel assumed people would know btter or whatever, but even in the MCU, they've been bad at killing people off for realsies. It gets worse if you consider the Netflix shows and such, because even perpetual buttmonkey Phil Coulson was promod as returning for Agents of SHIELD, so no spoilers there. Some villains have returned and they're the most likely to die off in a movie, so I have trouble with this whole "dead for good" thing even within the continuity.

Even if there was no source material to go on, I'm just not sure I would take it as read that these folks were dead for real. Maybe some of them, but especially not the people we already knew would have movies going forward. Death tends to not hit major characters in the MCU, or it doesn't hold. I suspect part of this is specifically how much money the characters are worth, but it creates a believability problem. Not so much a problem for me, because I share crazygirl's opinions on the death scenes of characters and whatnot, but in terms of this idea people think this might have "stakes" or whatever.

Like, the Holland scene is heartbreaking, whether or not you believe it's a final moment.

I feel the same way with Doctor Who, where the character's continuation is written right into the show. Since 2005, the show has written them to be big and momentous occasions, ones which will ideally tug at the heart. I knew Tennantwas replacing Eccleston before the show finished airing, and they did similar with Smith and Capaldi and when it's Whittaker's turn we'll likely know a year in advance she's leaving and who will replace her six months after that, but that scene...if it's done well, it won't matter. It won't even matter if the Doctor makes a return appearance, a la Baker or Tennant or..."Hartnell", because there will always be that moment.

It depends on the type of program, but the MCU's been rather loose with death this entire time, which is almost as good as writing it in explicitly. It's part of the genre, but not a part you need to be genre-savvy to pick up on. Flash has been bringing back people (and sometimes killing them off) since season 2, so when you see someone come back, it's no big deal. Granted, I think the Arrowverse has killed off more heroes than the MCU, too.

There's never been anything quite like the Decimation, so there's that, but it's still within the Disneyverse of "more people have died for real in Star Wars than MCU" territory. If one of them just popped up (Force Ghosts don't count), that would be out of character. But Marvel can undo death and mess with time and all that stuff.

CrazyGirl17 said:
Thanks, I really needed that.
Gave me a chance to watch it again, too, so it works all around. XD

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Silentpony said:
Agema said:
Bacterial growth is so fast that if half of it is wiped out, it'd get back to the initial value before anyone even really noticed.
Wouldn't killing half of all the gut bacteria in you prevent you from digesting food?
No. In fact, killing ALL the gut bacteria would make you considerably less efficient at digesting food, but it still wouldn't remotely kill you (unless you couldn't eat more). Killing half might not even be noticeable. Keep in mind that we kill a lot more than half of the gut bacteria any time we go on an antibiotic regimen. You probably poop out more than half of your gut bacteria every time you #2. Agema is right; killing half of a population is a setback for a generation, and a bacterial generation is short.

Now, if Thanos' algorithm decided that mitochondria are living beings in their own right... A lot of other deeply symbiotic life forms might have serious issues, too.

On the other hand, what if the algorithm just decided that wiping out a given human and all its biota counted against the biota in another human? Then, no effect whatsoever.

...We are severely overthinking this.