Avengers: Infinity War May Feature 67 Main Characters

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Avengers: Infinity War May Feature 67 Main Characters

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/781/781405.jpgAccording to comments from Joe and Anthony Russo, Avengers: Infinity War might be a bigger crossover film than we thought.

Avengers: Infinity War will be a big freaking deal once it hits theaters, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138262-Marvel-Studios-Phase-3-Plans-Revealed>the culmination of over a decade of Marvel superhero films. But how big can any two-part feature get, even one <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137351-bautista-will-drax-join-marvel-avengers-3>where the Guardians of the Galaxy may have cameo roles? According to Joe and Anthony Russo, absolutely enormous. The Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War directors revealed they're looking at 67 different characters for the latter story alone, presumably bringing together heroes new and old.

The information slipped out during Wizard World New Orleans, after Anthony accidentally referred to Hayley Atwell's Agent Carter as Sharon. "We have so many characters we're dealing with," Joe said, explaining the error. "We're breaking ground on Avengers: Infinity War. We have a board with 67 characters on it. You'll have to forgive him."

Now while the comment might just refer to characters being considered - or simply a throwaway joke - it certainly suggests that Infinity War will be a hero-packed adventure. Between the Marvel Cinematic Universe's heroes, villains, secondary characters, personalities from TV shows, there's a lot of room to make Infinity War an utterly massive finale. It's also likely that Infinity War will introduce a few Phase 4 heroes, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133485-Marvel-Studios-Is-Looking-Ahead-to-2028>since Marvel still has no plans of stopping here.

[gallery=5411]

It's also worth noting that even if Infinity War features 67 characters, that doesn't mean they'll all get the same amount of screen time. It could easily focus on the Avengers' hunt for the Infinity Stones, while other characters make brief appearances to highlight a larger conflict with Thanos. But whatever happens, Marvel Infinity War will likely be a crossover that puts even major comic book events to shame. Who do you expect will appear in the finished films?

Source: <a href=http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=129827>Comic Book Movie, via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/11/10750316/avengers-infinity-war-marvel-disney-russo>Polygon

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
All this means is that some characters are not going to get the screen time they deserve. And if they try to give all the main characters the screen time they deserve, the movie(s) will suffer for it.

Look, Age of Ultron didn't manage to give all characters the screen time they needed (Thor was the one who suffered the most here), and that's despite a long runtime, a main cast Much smaller than 67, and being handled by Joss freakin Whedon. Learn your limitations, marvel.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Unless they split it into six different films, this is gonna kill everyone.
Literally everyone.
The crew will go insane and sneak into every theater and murder your daughter.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The MCU universe's progression, now in an analogy by pictures!

[HEADING=2]First Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy:[/HEADING]

[HEADING=2]Avengers: Age of Ultron:[/HEADING]

[HEADING=2]Avengers: Infinity War:[/HEADING]

Please Marvel, for the love of God, stop it! You don't have to fully copy the insanity that comes with superhero comics! It's too much we tell you, too much!

I mean, seriously now, Marvel is going to buckle under its own feature bloat. Age of Ultron already felt bloated. Even if only 17 of those are main characters, and that's still a bunch, that leaves 50 superheroes/villains that would be support characters or cameos. Assuming it won't be more than 2.5 hours that accounts to an average cameo count of one for every 3 minutes of movie. That's insane.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
It's a worry that started with Avengers Age Of Ultron, character creep. Each new movie having more and more characters in it, often just for the purpose of fan service. Ant Man being the first movie of Phase 3 started light by only having one addition, Caps next outing looks like it's going to have a number of characters in it, as does Thor's next outing, no doubt the next Guardians outing will intro a few new characters so the fact that Infinity War is no doubt going to smash the Guardians world in to the Avengers World doesn't shock that their is going to be a lot of characters in it... but 67?

Even if you gave fan service to all the currently established characters and the bad guys and the non supers (agents of shield, agent carter, dare devil, etc) I still can't see it coming out at 67.

If they pull it off, then my god it is gonna be good but it could also be a huge cluster fuck.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Are they including Villains? Because I'm capping out around 50 for Hero Main Characters.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I am sure they will be small cameos showing all the random TV people and smaller heroes (maybe even some villains?) dealing with the horrible events happening across the universe as Thanos is smashing shit up with the infinity stones. Or It will be like the final seen in Pitch Perfect 2 (stay with me here) they brought in all of the former Bellas and just had them in the background singing, for this you would just do a sweeping shot showing everyone off as they all rush Thanos. I dont think any movie company is dumb enough to try and focus on 60+ characters in one film.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Devin Barker said:
I am sure they will be small cameos showing all the random TV people and smaller heroes (maybe even some villains?) dealing with the horrible events happening across the universe as Thanos is smashing shit up with the infinity stones. Or It will be like the final seen in Pitch Perfect 2 (stay with me here) they brought in all of the former Bellas and just had them in the background singing, for this you would just do a sweeping shot showing everyone off as they all rush Thanos. I dont think any movie company is dumb enough to try and focus on 60+ characters in one film.
I was really hoping you were going for the entire Marvel Cinematic cast defeating Thanos through song.
You let me down.
Anyway.
I can't even be excited for that number.
I'm normally a relatively passive Marvel fan anyway so call me salty but I don't know man.
That's a lot of characters to either pay attention to or not.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Either all 67 will appear towards the end and have probably the best showdown in movie history.

Or 67 characters will appear across the 2 films, and not all in one.

Including cameo's, deaths and whatever else.

So yeh nothing to see here, move along

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
RJ Dalton said:
I don't see that working. At all.
Then you've never read comics.

this is is basically the culmination of marvel's stable of characters.

that kind of movie is one that needs no background stories or introductions, it's just action a great romp with the full cast but everyone matters to some degree.

Movies have plenty of actors and background figures, now you'll just know them all from somewhere.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
If we're talking something alone the lines of, say, the 90s X-Men cartoon Days of Future Past opening, where it's open war and it just keeps jumping from mutant to mutant fighting, then I am totally okay with that. I want to see something like that in live action--just a whole bunch of super heroes going nuts, fighting in a war like that across the planet. Thor and Hulk in one country, then suddenly cutting to Black Panther, Captain America, and Bucky in Africa, and then Falcon, War Machine, and Iron Man in the skies? That would be sweet.

However, if they are going to try and squeeze in that many characters, and give a great deal of them screen time beyond action scenes, then...that's probably not going to work.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
It's getting really bloated and they need to clear a few characters out if they're going to keep adding new ones. Watch any of the expendables movies if you want to see what having too many main characters looks like. I feel like this is the point where it begins to crack and it's sort of make or break whether they'll pull it together or if it will fall apart.

Age of Ultron wasn't an awful movie but it was the first MCU movie that expected a strong familiarity with the material and I feel like that alienated people and messed with the structure a bit. The avengers tie-in scene in ant man would have felt REALLY out of place if you went into it blind. We'll see if marvel movies manage to stay mainstream or if they'll start to fade into a more niche place or turn into a fucking mess. Could go a few ways at this point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Simple. Everyone shows up to fight Thanos at the end. Or show an ongoing battle. As long as it doesn't try and actually split time, this can work.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Guitarmasterx7 said:
It's getting really bloated and they need to clear a few characters out if they're going to keep adding new ones. Watch any of the expendables movies if you want to see what having too many main characters looks like. I feel like this is the point where it begins to crack and it's sort of make or break whether they'll pull it together or if it will fall apart.

Age of Ultron wasn't an awful movie but it was the first MCU movie that expected a strong familiarity with the material and I feel like that alienated people and messed with the structure a bit. The avengers tie-in scene in ant man would have felt REALLY out of place if you went into it blind. We'll see if marvel movies manage to stay mainstream or if they'll start to fade into a more niche place or turn into a fucking mess. Could go a few ways at this point.
Honestly, though, you don't need to get rid of old characters, just don't use every character in every movie. Infinity Wars should be big. Hopefully, they dial it back afterwards. The continuity thing is admittedly more of a problem now that they're out of the building phase.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Fuck it. Let's just turn this into a WWE WrestleMania PPV. Make it 5 hours, include the old, new and special guest.

Seriously Marvel. Too much of something isn't a good thing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm going to assume all this means is that they're going to have 67 costumes worn by minor characters or even extras during the movie with the majority of them having no lines or single lines.

I'm also going to assume this includes villains and red shirts they want to use to give the story gravitas.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Rrrrright.. and from that pool of 67 chars.... ironman and captain america are going to be featured the most amirite?

Cause those are the characters that are the most mainstay of all of them... as if anyone is really interested in the new falcon or the iron patriot or the rest of the B list team...

Its gonna be like the transformers movie... lots of robots but the only one that matter are bumblebee and optimus... the rest are just forgettable and throwaway as they come.