Avengers: Infinity War May Feature 67 Main Characters

owbu

Feb 14, 2011
Shouldnt the title just be: Phase 3 will bringt the total Number of Characters up to 67?

Having a board in your movie planing room, that keeps up to date with all your characters from your other movies seems like a pretty logical thing. Just so that you dont fuck up your continuity.

Just like GRR Martin said he had a giant book of knowledge sitting around on his desk somewhere, which tracks the gender and eye color of all his horses and so on, so if some character mentions the horse somewhere, he can look up which gender to use.
That tells us literally nothing about the amount of horses in the next novel.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I'm thinking they have just a potential 67 characters, not that they'll use them all. Or that many heroes/villains will be shown participating, but not get much for screen time.

I really hope they don't go overboard. AoU was already far too bloated.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Extra-Ordinary said:
Devin Barker said:
I am sure they will be small cameos showing all the random TV people and smaller heroes (maybe even some villains?) dealing with the horrible events happening across the universe as Thanos is smashing shit up with the infinity stones. Or It will be like the final seen in Pitch Perfect 2 (stay with me here) they brought in all of the former Bellas and just had them in the background singing, for this you would just do a sweeping shot showing everyone off as they all rush Thanos. I dont think any movie company is dumb enough to try and focus on 60+ characters in one film.
I was really hoping you were going for the entire Marvel Cinematic cast defeating Thanos through song.
You let me down.
Anyway.
I can't even be excited for that number.
I'm normally a relatively passive Marvel fan anyway so call me salty but I don't know man.
That's a lot of characters to either pay attention to or not.
Well from the look of it BvS is going to kill Doomsday with the power of friendship so Marvel may as well jump on board and kill Thanos with kindness. This will be 60 heroes going out of their way to do random acts of kindness for Thanos until he decides not to be a jerk and go all omicidal on the universe.

Jokes aside, I think there is a graceful way to pull it off and barley have you notice it was 60 ppl. they will be little flashes of them doing a single heroic act then moving on to the main cast doing a big fight with Thanos...or they will pull a card from DC and have all the heroes turn into one giant super-dude being to kill Thanos... (I forgot what the run was but Superman combined with other supermen from the multiverse to kill a space vampire... Final Crisis?)

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I don't think I'm reading this the same way as everyone else. It doesn't say 67 main character, just a board with 67 character on it - not necessarily all heroes either, and that really isn't that big a number.

Lets look at Age of Ultron, we had:

Avengers: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision, War Machine and Falcon. Thats already 11.

Allies: Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Erik Selvig, Helen Cho, Laura Barton, Kid Barton x 2 (can't recall their names), Peggy Carter (Hallucination), Heimdall (Hallucination). Another 9.

Antagonists: Ultron, Strucker, Dr List, Klaue, Thanos. Another 5.

That's 25 off of the top of my head, and that's before you consider the characters who would have been on the board at the planning stage and didn't make the cut or needed to be explained out (Loki's deleted scene, explaining away where Pepper and Jane were etc.).

Realistically AoU will have had 30+ characters on that same board, Civil War probably more than that, and Infinity War will be 2 films, so 67 isn't that big of a stretch.

Moreover, I would bet that either Phil Coulson and the AoS crew, or the Defenders (maybe both groups) will get a couple of scenes of them fighting on a ground level to tie it all in, probably no more screen time that War Machine got in AoU but that'l strike half a dozen numbers down off the bat.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
I like how there is so much preemptive negativity.
Why can't you people just wait and see?
If they manage to bring the 18 films toghether and the two Infinity-War films end up half decent, you should applaude them
Noone ever managed that.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Politrukk said:
RJ Dalton said:
I don't see that working. At all.
Then you've never read comics.

this is is basically the culmination of marvel's stable of characters.

that kind of movie is one that needs no background stories or introductions, it's just action a great romp with the full cast but everyone matters to some degree.

Movies have plenty of actors and background figures, now you'll just know them all from somewhere.
Fair point, but I still think 67 name-able characters still sounds a bit excessive from a budgeting point-of-view. I'd like to think that at that point there would be no introductions or background stories or anything, just a big old final showdown with everyone giving their all, but that's a lot of action to produce. Think of all the special effects. We'll need Ant-man to do something infiltration-y using his power, and Hawkeye to nail some baddies through the skulls, and the Guardians crew to shoot down some mobs, etc etc. If they're all given the attention they deserve, then it's gonna be costly.

Don't get me wrong; if they pull it off then it'll be holy crap amazing, I just think that it'll hurt profits enough for Marvel to hold back in giving every character their due.