Awesome moments in multiplayer gaming

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Yesterday I was playing MW2 online (which I normally hate with a passion but it was something to do) and I was doing my thing, shooting people, causing chaos, etc.

Anyway, I was playing on the map with all the trenches and bunkers and I was following a couple of team mates toward some commotion. When we got there, it turned out about 6 players from the opposing team were camping in this big bunker just shooting people when they tried to enter. So without headsets or anything, we all figured out what was going on and stacked up, taking turns shooting at the snipers and covering each other as we moved into the bunker. Eventually they drove the two snipers far enough to the right that I could pop them both and then my allies took cover behind the walls and pinned the rest of the guys down while two allies tossed a flash bang in and entered from the other side and killed them.

I was like "THAT is how a multiplayer game like this should be." I wish I could have recorded it. It was the coolest thing I've ever experienced in an MP game.

Have you ever had anything cool like that happen in an MP game (any game, not necessarily COD) you were playing?

Also, are there any games that are designed around tactics like that instead of just kill stealing and every man for himself stupidness?

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has given me a fair share of seemingly "movie" moments. Why, I had one just this morning.

I was playing Medic, and me and two guys were pinned down on one of the snow maps on the left hand side of a road.
The _entire_ enemy team comes streaming down the road complete with two Tank. Between healing and reviving my brothers in arms, I'm shooting down a seemingly endless stream of soldiers and dodging bullets. Explosions left and right. Trees collapsing. A never ending hail of gun fire. One of our Tanks comes rolling in, providing us some cover, and uses itself as a wall it slows crawls forward as we punch a hole right through the enemy front. The Tank goes down (no Engineer for repairs) and we use the smoke and suppressing fire to cover our reinforcements as they come up from behind. We hold the enemey there until the maps ends. Brilliant team work.

Battlefield rewards team work, where doing things like Reviving fallen team mates and spotting earn you more points than killing enemies, where as CoD is really just about shooting unprepared people.

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
These things do happen and are few and far between as most games don't encourage playing as a team so most people play solo as it is often the best way to inflate your score, this is especially true in games that have unlocks based on your score.

It's one of the reasons it is always more fun playing with a group of friends so these kind of things occur on a more regular basis, it is also one of the reasons I prefer the battlefield series over modern warfare just due to the game encouraging team work so it tends to occur more spontaneously.

Garret866

Aug 17, 2011
well there was this moment in bad company 2 that our squad decided to be all assault with grenade launchers and shoot all at once at this building full of enemies and collapse it in a sec. heh that was awesome

you wont see that in Blops

ankensam

Jul 15, 2011
getting no scopped by my friend from across the map in halo reach, after the game was over and we were on the same team and it was a head shot and it was FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Yeah, Bad Company 2 for me as well, it seems to have more "epic moments" than CoD, although I do like both. Anyways, it was in Rush, I was defending,and me and my squad were holed up in a building in the middle of their base. Our building had the thingy they had to destroy, can't remember the name. The enemy team were pelting us with mortar strikes, RPGs and grenade launchers. I was a medic, throwing medkits and reviving my squadmates like crazy. They hit the last supporting wall, and just as we heard the creak that meant the building was about to fall and we would all be crushed, the game ended and we won.

Absolutely awesome. The time spent playing rubbish and losing games is worth it for moments like that.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
TF2, when i'm actually doing well as the Spy, though one moment in particular stands out

I failed at backstabbing a Sniper so he chases me down somehow at the last second i manage to stop running, pull a perfect 180 (difficult for me since i can't stand turning round with the mouse) and headshot him with the Ambassador, one shot one kill... I have never hit the taunt button faster

I would say my last second single handed point taking as a Heavy (against the entire enemy team no less) though Heavy/Medic combo awesomeness happens to someone every round so they're not that noteworthy

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
I'm usually really bad at online shooters, so when I picked up MAG I immediately started playing as a medic. After a couple of weeks of playing that role, I reset my character to play a more offensive role. I picked all of those cool Rapid Assault skills and stuff, hoping to kick ass.

We played a good ol' Team Deathmatch or whatever it was called. I was deep inside enemy lines, totally worried about dying soon. I came across a building with a couple of windows and a door, and I went in to hide. I spotted an enemy sprinting past the door outside, so I stepped out and killed him with my assault rifle. I ran around the house counter-clockwise, and came across another enemy. I shot him in the back.

I repeated this like five or six times, running around the house and killing enemies coming to investigate. I got pretty crazy experience at the end of the round.

I also remember a rather embarassing moment in CoD4. I forget what map I was playing, but it was Team Deathmatch. I was inside a building, following some friendly gunfire. I come across a door that leads into a room filled with fresh-killed corpses of my team mates. What did I do? I ran in to investigate and got stabbed in the back by the single enemy hiding behind the goddamn door. T_T

KnightRider0717

Mar 20, 2010
cod4 had so many moments for me that were just awesome/really funny

-aim down sniper scope, see my friend teabagging an enemy, shoot enemy who then dropped a grenade and i hear screams in my headset as i watch him leap off a building

-playing tactical and blocking the other team into a small building in crash, i go in the bottom and my friend is on top of a near building and says 'i wonder if i can make that jump' which was followed by 3 shotgun blasts and me finding him alone in a room with some bodies

-playing tactical with the same friend as the last story and we were playing on bloc. he was in the buidling on the other side of the courtyard when i was sniping and i looked at him in my scope running for his life and all i could hear was the saw being unloaded towards him and then a single shotgun blast followed by complete silence for a second, i found it too funny

-playing search on district i was the last one left looking at a target from afar and i hear my friends losing their shit in my ear, i turn and see the last enemys head filling up my entire screen and i had a minor seziure followed by the winning kill... if they said theres a guy behind you i would have understood but 5 people yelling 'HOLY F**K!' at the same time doesnt tell you a thing hah

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
I tend to pick on armoured vehicles in bc2. I stopped every singletank from even entering the first base in the large desert level (can't remember the name) so they all started camping and firing shells from about 300 yards away and through some luck I managed to c4 every last one of them and blow every one of the suckers up in unison. I got about 8 pm's and even friend requests from the other team haha.

I've caused more trouble as a special ops over the years than anything else!

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Bad Company 2. I was circling a point in a Black Hawk, suddenly the squad spawned on me, all parachuted and captured the base. Pretty epic :D

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
Blocking that spawn point in Hanoi on Black Ops where there is only one way out. I had my whole team in that spawn point. Then an opponent tossed a grenade in there, got a multi-kill and the final kill. Then I received a hateful message from a team-member.

Well it was fun for ME.

Tsuki Akechi

Feb 20, 2011
In MW2 my entire team got killed by spawn tubers on Skidrow in hardcore search and destroy and I was the only person left. I was on offense and it was the tie-breaker round which was the worst. I go to the enemy spawn and look around near the edge of it for people and spot somebody on the building across the way just waiting. I headshot him and go near a hallway and stun 3 dudes kill them as they walk up the stairs. I go down those stairs to find somebody guarding the bomb, knowing I have only two minutes left I run out and drop-shot the guy and pick up the bomb. I ninja plant the thing and wait. I walk somewhere else for a couple seconds and go back to what I assume is the last dude almost being done defusing it. I panic and knife him but his friend runs out of the stairwell and starts shooting at me. I run through various rooms until I'm behind him. I take my chance and throwing-knife the guy, winning the game. It was epic.

NinjaRock

Aug 16, 2011
I have had a couple good ones on CoD 4

- On Ambush me and this other guy snuck around to the back of the enemy lines and proceeded to stab everyone of them. Then Rinse and repeat. =D

- On Overgrown (the one where most go sniper) I was in the barn with a silenced AR UAV Jammer and silent running. My team was with me but the enemy really wanted the barn. I helped but hid in a dark corner at the last minute. soon most of the enemy team was inside and I proceeded to kill about 7 of them by knifing, shooting then running around the outside to confuse them.

- I had a 1v1 against the biggest tosser in our school on Wetwork. He was bragging about how good he was... ... then i owned him. :DDDDDD

In TF2 the moment when you run up behind the cart and stab at least 4 people as the spy before they realize whats going on.

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
My awesome moment was on Halo Reach. Me and an IRL friend were playing swat together. We were on sword base, running up a set of stairs and some guy jumped out of cover. Somehow my reflexes instantly kicked in and I managed to quickly head-shot him when he was only slightly out of cover.. I think that's how quickly the average ninja moves, so I felt pretty awesome.

Heartbreak One

Feb 27, 2011
I had one of these and it seem's to be the first RTS one. Starcraft 2, I was playing 2v2 with a clan mate, we where stuck inside our base with the enemy double Terran's set up a huge wall of siege tanks and marines. My ally is Protoss and we are really stuck and out gunned, I build three nukes he sends in about 20 zealots to distract the opponents while my nukes destroy every last man and tank... we won that game.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
Playing Zombies on Reach. I was in Sword Base and found myself a nice little area. I had a clear wall which allowed me to see down one corridor, ad bridge to funnel zombies and an escape door to the side.

The others had all gathered on a small ledge, hard to reach, but harder to escape from. I spent the first 5 minutes holding still, picking off the couple of zombies who came my way, I was too small a prize when they could focus on the group of guys in easy sword distance. Eventually the zombies started to come, myself, one guy who fled the zombie horde and one guy still one the little ledge remained. The guy on the ledge slipped and died in a flurry of energy sword slashes. My cohort and myself stood vigilant, he had taken position at my escape route, stopping zombies from flanking. Then the fun began.

Three zombies came charging down the bridge, funneled into a straight line my pistol made quick work of them, I could hear my ally gunning down his fair share. I look down the corridor to see two more zombies trying to trick me. The ducked in and out of the area just beyond my clear cover, trying to coax me out. I decided to play along, stepping to the edge of cover one of the overzealous zombies charged me. I quickly felled him, more concerned with the new zombie comming down the corridor. I would soon be overwhelmed if I didn't take initiative. I stepped out of cover and let my boomstick introduce itself, slaying both zombies.

Then I heard a horrible sound, an electronic splash followed by a weak wail. My ally had fallen and I was now alone. With my flank now exposed I repositioned myself into a small alcove, a desperate tactic, no way for the zombies to flank me but at the cost of having no escape. It was then the horde descended upon me. I took care not to waste my limited ammunition, slaying a zombie with every shot. The sound of bodies collapsong at my feet, the cry of former survivors as they tried to turn me into one of their own, the calls of a mysterious voice as I faught for my life. "Hell's Jerome!" He called as the final zombie fell, my shotgun ammuniton spent. I drew my pistol and decided to leave before I was once again swarmed by the undead masses. I charged down a narrow corridor, avoiding my previous escape route. I could hear the footsteps of the rotting masses behind me. Catching me up.

My time was near and I knew it. I turned around to face my death, the assorted undead, mindlessly charging me down. I would not go without a fight. I fired my pistol into the crowd, scoring several headshots. One zombie, far ahead of the pack, lunged at me, his sword slicing the air just before my face. I punched him, hard in the face, killing him instantly. As I did so the remaining undead had finally caught up to me, my courage renewed I decided not to submit, I ran, heading across a glass bridge, trying to reach a high ground. I turned, checking to stop any who would attack my backside, when I felt it. The piercing sting of and energy sword in my chest. I collapsed, dying just as all those before me. Fearing I too would join the zombie army.

And then the stats screen appeared before me. 27 kills, one death. I hope I made George A. Romero proud.

fessferenc

Apr 17, 2009
Well, there was this one time on a minecraft server I had which I refer to as "Oh God The Slimes!". Me and 2 other of my friends were deep delving this one time and encountered a cave that was full of slimes. This was a few versions ago (before wolves) and I don't know what changes have been made to the slime spawn rate since then, but this room was so full of slimes that they could push you into a corner and you literally couldn't move. There was also a problem at this time with server/client stuff, so some of the slimes were not real (sortov) and some were for some reason indestructible. If you were just listening in via skype it would've sounded really funny.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'll take it back a bit t0 Halo 2. It was a random Team DM, 4 on 4 on Sanctuary. The stars must have aligned perfectly: everyone on both teams was within 2 levels of each other, none of that "3 level 28s and a level 9 versus 4 level 34s" crap Halo 2 was good for. Everyone's skill was actually reasonably leveled, no one person dominated. The teams ACTUALLY listened to one another and cooperated on both sides. The entire match, no one was needlessly cussing each other out, blaming their teammates, flaming the other team or tea-bagging; it was all very amicable, good natured chatter and fun. There was one female in the group of 8; no one harrassed her or made needless mention of her sex every 12 seconds. The final score came down to 49-50; all 8 of us on both teams had almost identical K/D ratios, and in the lobby afterwards? It was honest "Good Game!"(s) from everyone, to both sides, their team to ours and vice versa.

THAT was the way MP is supposed to be. It only happened ONCE in my YEARS of online gaming. Usually it's the same 15-year-old dropping racial slurs freely in shrill, pre-pubescent voices because their mommies let them stay up 15 minutes past his bettime, or some "1337" jerkoff who thinks because he's chosen to invest his every waking hour to a videogame, somehow people want to hear about everyone else's comparative n00b-ness, etc. You know the types. They're the types that drove me out of MP gaming, at least with randoms; I'll play with friends from time to time, but when they want to play CoD or Reach, no thanks.

MacOfDonald

Nov 10, 2009
Definitely Bad Company 2. Quite a few moments in there. I always play recon, and I do a lot of support rather than trying to kill everything in front of me.

So I was playing Conquest on Heavy Metal, had just come into the game to see my team's base being circled by two enemy choppers, as is their tendency, and a tank on the hill, supported by a couple of snipers. We were totally boned. I spawned a few times and survived maybe two seconds each time. The next spawn, the choppers both somehow miss me. So I sneak my way behind the big concrete wall things and around left toward the rocky area. By this point, I am just loving the fact that I am still alive.

So I make it up onto the crest on the left outside of the choppers' attention, and I light up the tank on the hill with a mortar strike. The driver didn't react quickly enough, and both he and his gunner got toasted. I am feeling pretty chuffed, so I peek back through my M24 scope to see the carnage, and notice the two snipers hidden away in the bushes near the tank. I take my time and take the two of them out.

Now I'm just waiting for those I've already killed to re-spawn at the flag near where the tank was, so I spin a bit to the left to check out where they are, and my scope is entirely filled with someone's body running toward me. I hadn't reloaded after my last shot, so I knew I couldn't just fire, so I pull my pistol and fire off a couple of rounds into him, but he's just about to reach me. He was looking for the satisfaction of a knife kill, I was pretty much about to eat it.

Then just as he is about to get to me, one of the enemy choppers falls out of the sky and crashes basically right on top of me. It somehow manages to bounce over and around me, collect the guy running at me and kill him. I look at the kill notifier thing and notice it was shot down by the anti-air gun in our base, so I turn to look and see our Apache and Black Hawk sailing overhead, and a tank crawl up the hill next to me.

We won that round by about 10 kills. It was amazing.