Awesome stuff you dismissed

THeFraz

Oct 31, 2011
When I was around 14 or 15, I tried to listen to Radiohead's Kid A. At the time, I was like "What the hell is this? It's not music, it is just random and weird noise." Fast forward 2 or 3 years, and I really enjoy it. I was at a turning point in my life where I started to listen to music as albums and such, and going right off the bat with that wasn't a good idea. I'm glad I went back though.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I'll take this a different route.

I initially dismissed both Slipknot and Ramstein as talentless gimmick bands... until an older colleague of mine at the time (he was about 50ish) told me to just sit down and really listen to them both. He had really good taste and varied music loves so i did.

Oh how wrong i was about the sheer musical talent of those two bands.

Yes they both lack somewhat on the lyrical content most of the time, but... Slipknot is predominantly so fast anyways it doesn't matter, and well, i don't know german, so although the lyrics (mind i've only read translations) are shit, i can't understand them, and they sound good.

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
I totally dismissed Dragon Ball Z (and anime in general, really) as garbage, but I decided to watch the actual series after seeing Team Four Star and I fell in love with it's charm so much that now I can't shut the fuck up about it.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Smeatza said:
Movies starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
A childish bias, caused by Titanic. That was smashed when I watched The Departed.
Same here. He was always "that Titanic dude" for me. Now he's one of my favorite actors.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Ponyholder said:
Genocidicles said:

For those of you don't know, 'Bender' is slang for Homosexual in Britain... So when the adverts first came on for it, the teenage me just laughed at.

Then about a year ago my sister watched it on Netflix, and she recommended it. So I watched it and thought it was awesome.
I tried watching it, but I am bored so far in the 7th episode. It seems very... tame and meh so far. The characters are interesting, but nothing interesting is happening yet. Does the show get better from here on out?
Just wait until the season 1 finale. If that doesn't hook you then nothing will.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
When I was about 10 or so I dismissed Kingdom Hearts because it looked to kiddie for me at that age but after having friends badger me into trying it I found I did enjoy it. Other games I ignored for similar reasons include any JRPG's, Viewtiful Joe, and almost every game released by Nintendo for the Gamecube.

Nov 28, 2007
For me, it would be My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. When all of the hype and counter-hype was going on, I watched from the neutral sidelines, eating popcorn, not judging, but not on either side. When I saw fanmade videos, I appreciated the work put into them, but still didn't. Finally, last November, I was bored one night, and just randomly got the urge to check it out, just to see what all the fuss was about. "I'll watch one episode," I thought. And then, "Well, it's a two parter, so I have to see both parts." That night, I watched 5 episodes. I am currently partway through Season 2, and have stopped watching it more out of a lack of time and too many current things to keep track of than actually losing interest.

Also, Game of Thrones. My sister/brother-in-law insisted I read the books. I didn't take at first, but they showed me the first episode of the show. I have finished reading all 5 books so far, and am eagerly awaiting the sixth.