B-Movie night

TheDharmaFox

Oct 1, 2011
I got a low budget films night coming up, here's my list:
Darkman, The Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, and The Room.

Any ideas for more great cheesy classics?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
not sure it qualifies as "B movie"

but I kind of like demolition man, it was better than I expceted and alot of fun

I also LOVE the first TNMT movie

TheDharmaFox

Oct 1, 2011
Oh yeah! I do have Demolition man. Every time I think of it, I think of Taco Bell, guess the product placement worked.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Zardoz, Howling 2 and 3, Wizards, and perhaps finish with some classic David Carradine (I prefer Deathrace 2000 myself).

CAUTION: You may want to bring booze for Zardoz, and some sanity pills for Wizards.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Streets of Fire.
It is a damn stupid movie.
The plot is dumb, the acting is kind of stiff, and the main villain spends half the film in vinyl waders.
From a stylistic standpoint, however it is a fantastic movie. It's sort of what you'd get if you made a movie out of a side-scrolling brawler. Visually, it draws from fifties-style urban areas, but with that grimy feel you get from films like Escape From New York, and the soundtrack is amazing.

I recommend it, honestly, if only for the visuals and the fact that the main character blows up motorcycles with a Winchester.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I think it was Roger Ebert who said "A-movies are about War, B-movies are about soldiers" when referring to The Big Red One. In no way would I classify The Big Red One as a B-Movie though. I'd be tempted to bring out the Kurt Russell/John Carpenter trilogy, Escape from New York, The Thing, and Big Trouble in Little China.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
TheDharmaFox said:
octafish said:
Big Trouble in Little China.
YES THANK YOU, I was raking my brain for that gem!
No problem. Like I told my last wife, I said "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
ever seen Starship Troopers?

not sure if its a B-movie budget, but the quality sure as hell is, lol. my favorite terrible movie ever.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Wushu Panda said:

not sure if its a B-movie budget, but the quality sure as hell is, lol. my favorite terrible movie ever.
Ninja'd! I'd also recommend another Paul Verhoeven film, Robocop.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Wushu Panda said:

Oh that's good. You could probably buy that for a dollar!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Wushu Panda said:

Damn you ninja xD. Watch Starship Troopers. It's a satire and a fun sci-fi film.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
octafish said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Wushu Panda said:

Oh that's good. You could probably buy that for a dollar!
The thing about Verhoeven is that he makes SMART B Movies. Starship Troopers and Robocop especially are satires of governmental control, gun violence, police brutality, propaganda, and military jingoism. Yet, they remain hilariously fun to watch for the ultraviolence and awesome action scenes. If you appreciate the satire, they're even better.

Paladin2905

Sep 1, 2011
smearyllama said:
Streets of Fire.
It is a damn stupid movie.
The plot is dumb, the acting is kind of stiff, and the main villain spends half the film in vinyl waders.
From a stylistic standpoint, however it is a fantastic movie. It's sort of what you'd get if you made a movie out of a side-scrolling brawler. Visually, it draws from fifties-style urban areas, but with that grimy feel you get from films like Escape From New York, and the soundtrack is amazing.

I recommend it, honestly, if only for the visuals and the fact that the main character blows up motorcycles with a Winchester.
Oh hell yes, I (somewhat embarrassingly) love that movie. Where else do you get to see such craziness combined with Rick Moranis attempting to play a serious character? That is an excellent suggestion.

For another low budget flick that is alternatively horrible and awesome, I'd recommend Six String Samurai; great music, cheesy one-liners, samurai guitar players fighting Russian soldiers, etc.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Nouw said:
Wushu Panda said:

Damn you ninja xD. Watch Starship Troopers. It's a satire and a fun sci-fi film.
To provide a quote which backs up this statement and makes a reference to your avatar, "OH YEAH!"

Ahem

Anyway, in terms of B Movies, I'd say Crank is well worth a watch. I think that might be a B Movie.

AbstractJuggler

May 27, 2009
Well If you're watching Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, you may as well fill in the gap and watch Evil Dead 2. In my eyes, the retcon is kind of unnecessary, but it still makes for a good watch.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Ironclad is a quite a good recent one.
It has a very, very loose historical story and lots of swords to the face.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Here is a pretty good list of movies that B-Fest has used over the years.
http://b-fest.com/history.html

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
One Word : Taken.

Basically a B-movie with Liam Neeson as the main character.

Seriously, watch it, just for the pleasure of watching Liam Neeson beat up a load of filthy foreigners, and the scene where the Frenchman is carrying a baguette.