Babar The Babarian

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Babar The Babarian

Through smashed and bloody lips he mutters, "where did you get that fine derby hat?"

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Heh, pay that one. Going to be viewing Babar differently from now on[footnote]Though I'm really just saying that to avoid being modded for low content[/footnote]
They generally don't like it when you come out and say you were just saying stuff to avoid low content. :p

OT: Eh, I got a chuckle I suppose. The thing about single-frame comics (though every now and then you give us two or three that are sequential single-frame comics) is that they really have to be homeruns. I can certainly appreciate what you're doing - as I said I got a chuckle out of it - but I just wonder if it might be more worthy to try and go with a good ol' three-frame comic.

Bah, but what do I know? I'm just some random jackass on the internet. You just keep on keepin' on. :p

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I think seeing those muscular anthropomorphic elephant buttocks are going to be the most disturbing things I'll see this week.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
I think seeing those muscular anthropomorphic elephant buttocks are going to be the most disturbing things I'll see this week.
The most attractive thing ever in the history of the last two minutes* you mean, obviously

I'm amused by this. Not sure what else to say.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Do I smell a creepypasta in the making?

I'm not sure if it's going to be "Child's Movie Goes Wrong" or in the style of "Pickman's Model".

...Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

<begins "Fraught With Peril"/"Pickman's Model" fanfic>

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I am at a bit of a loss. As a child I never read Babar. His quiet demeanor paled in comparrison to the more exciting protagonists like Curious George, The Berenstain Bears, Lowly Worm, Bartholomew Cubbins, or even The Digging-est Dog. Knowing what I now know, I may have to reconsider my stand on Babar. "Babarian" I see what you did.

There is a trend emerging. Take a classically loved and gentle childhood memory and twist it around into something darker and unexpected. Kudos to you sir for this Goreyesque wit. N is for Nick who died of ennui.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
It's embarrassing when I finally do realize that my ennui has been hanging out for all to see.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Clankenbeard said:
There is a trend emerging. Take a classically loved and gentle childhood memory and twist it around into something darker and unexpected.
I'm sure that was easy. Beating American McGee to it was the hard part.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I loved this so much, having been a Babar fan during my childhood. As a kid, you don't realize how tame and somewhat pro-Colonialist the whole thing was, but once adulthood settles in... Yeesh.

There's an innate sense of creepiness to the premise that I didn't see as a kid. Having Conan propped on top of that elevates that creepiness to levels of sheer what-the-fuckery that I can't help myself but to find delicious. XD

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
This was awesome.

I was initially a bit 'meh' about this series but as you go on I'm beginning to appreciate it.

Like a good vinegar.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Fortunately most children do not get the subtext of Brunhoff's Babar stories.
I loved them as a child and my kids enjoy them as well.
It was always strange to me that the human world and it's trappings were preferred by the animals
but then who doesn't like the denizens of the jungle snappily dressed?

Robert E. Howard, that's who. If he could post in this thread he would say, "Babarism is the natural state of mankind,
civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And babarism must always ultimately triumph. Break the skin of civilization and you find the ape elephant, roaring and red-handed."

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
You know, I'm going to carry this with me for the rest of my life. Babar for some reason just irked me. It was on HBO I believe when I was a kid and I really disliked it because I felt it interrupted good programming and forced me to change channels.
Of course this was the days where Nickelodeon also had good programming, as long as you weren't watching before 2pm, after 8am which was geared toward the pre-school age kids.

MrFinnishDude

Apr 1, 2011
Ah Babar, my childhood's favorite elephant monarch.
I always wondered how would that weird elephant society even work, there is just too many questions.
Would there be elephants in the UN? Could elephants compete in the olympics or would they be dismissed for their obvious racial advantages?(Human vs an elephant in weight lifting) Would we start seeing elephant immigrants on our streets? Would we be horribly racist against them? Would all old ivory pianos be considered as idols of Genocide? Could there be human and elephant marriages or would they be banned as zoofilia?

Only one thing is certain, if we discovered that elephants were sapient our world would never be the same again.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
um...is...is that...isthatsnakeainnuendo? I just had to ask considering where the snake starts, though he is unable to touch it, while next to his sleeping wife. Or am I reading too much into this.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
nuba km said:
um...is...is that...isthatsnakeainnuendo? I just had to ask considering where the snake starts, though he is unable to touch it, while next to his sleeping wife. Or am I reading too much into this.
Thank you for asking! Innuendo is in part for the viewer to decide.
That snake obviously has many meanings to you. Do not deny them.
Perhaps it unlocks a primordial beast that slithers silently within your saurian soul?

It is also the cover art (by Frank Frazetta)for the Ace edition of book 8 in the Conan series.