Baby Dolphin killed as tourists yank it out of the ocean to take a selfie

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
If there's any justice in the world, these people will be charged, prosecuted and suitably punished for killing a specimen of a protected species. Won't bring the poor baby dolphin back, but at least it can sneer at the fuckwits from aquatic mammal heaven.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This is what happens when stupid people gather in groups. Mixed with modern narcassism. On behalf of the human race, we apologise to the dolphin race. As a peace offering, take Trump. He is a meaty chicken. Oh and Cameron too, for suresies. It is another sad day to be human.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I get looks for me being an old man waggling my cane at this "selfie culture." This kind of shit only makes that worse. My feelings don't need your damn help! Stupid kids...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DoPo said:
thaluikhain said:
Like catching a fish, taking a photo, and then eating it.
Not really the same thing. Dolphins are mammals, not fish. Although I wonder if they'll taste OK with chips.
I hear from a reliable source (re: family member who has tried dolphin) that it's quite rubbery and tastes like something between pig and goat.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Neverhoodian said:
especially given how intelligent and altruistic dolphins are
Just a small point, but dolphins will rape porpoises to death and then play with the corpses. They're more like us than you think.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Wonder how many of the 500 people bound to post angry comments in this thread give a fuck about dolphin safe fishing methods when they buy their tuna.
Joke's on you: I don't eat seafood so I can be as angry at this as I like.

Pseudonym said:
Also, breaking news, cow killed and eaten by humans because they taste better than potatoes and mushrooms.

As a society, we eat animals, experiment on animals, and if they are lucky they are merely our slaves. Why should anyone care about a dead dolphin. If you genuinely care about animals in general or maybe just some class of animals, I don't, but very well. But don't come and ask me for sympathy when animals are killed and tortured in a slightly unusual and visible way.
Careful not to cut yourself on all that edge bro.

Well done shitheads, you've killed a defenceless baby animal, that's also a protected species so I hope the fines they hit you with hurt your lifestyle for the next decade.

Apr 25, 2009
Gonna be honest, it makes me extremely upset how detached, ignorant and stupid people are around nature and animals. I'm gonna swear a lot and be very emotional in this post, so forgive me.

Fuck everyone involved with this, and especially fuck the guy that pulled it out of the ocean in the first place.

There are so many idiots in this thread as well talking about how we torture and kill animals every day for food and that this is no different. It is ENTIRELY different and a fucking ridiculous comparison. They sure as hell weren't going to eat this creature, and dolphins are illegal to take anyway. The morals of buying supermarket meat and mass produced animal products is definitely hazy, but not everyone can hunt their own meat and produce their own leather to ensure it's clean and ethical.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Wonder how many of the 500 people bound to post angry comments in this thread give a fuck about dolphin safe fishing methods when they buy their tuna.
Comparing grey-area unethical fishing operations to a bunch of fuckwits plucking a little animal out of the ocean and parading it around for photographs is also a stupid comparison. I eat steak from the grocery store, but if I get upset at a story about a bunch of teenagers torturing and burning a cow to death I have no ground to stand on? Stupid.

Batou667 said:
One day the universe will undergo heat death and all of this will have been meaningless.

I hereby award myself a trophy for Most Nihilistic Post in this thread. Get on my level, you bleeding-heart hippies. Ladies, form an orderly line, I am but one man.
Lol, nihilism is about understanding that nothing 'means' anything but that does not excuse wilfully causing pain and waste and fucking over other beings. Your post is a teenager's interpretation of nihilism. If anything it means those things are MORE important to care about. Have some empathy for other living creatures because this is the one little bit of conscious existence we all get to have.

Pseudonym said:
Also, breaking news, cow killed and eaten by humans because they taste better than potatoes and mushrooms.

As a society, we eat animals, experiment on animals, and if they are lucky they are merely our slaves. Why should anyone care about a dead dolphin. If you genuinely care about animals in general or maybe just some class of animals, I don't, but very well. But don't come and ask me for sympathy when animals are killed and tortured in a slightly unusual and visible way.
Lol edgy. Causing waste and pain is disgusting. There was no reason to kill this dolphin like there is a reason to slaughter a cow or shoot a deer for food.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Wasn't pleased when I first heard about this.

Put it in the water... Its not meant to be out of it. If you can pick it up, do so in the water and briefly. <.<

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Digi7 said:
Lol, nihilism is about understanding that nothing 'means' anything but that does not excuse wilfully causing pain and waste and fucking over other beings. Your post is a teenager's interpretation of nihilism. If anything it means those things are MORE important to care about. Have some empathy for other living creatures because this is the one little bit of conscious existence we all get to have.
I was parodying the posters who were falling over themselves to display how superlatively unfazed they were by this small creature's suffering, either to show off their big boy credentials ("I watched Bambi once and didn't even cry, get on my level") or deflecting onto their pet cause ("You think this is bad? Read about pharmaceutical vivisection one day, you hypocrites").

I agree with you. Every person who took a selfie with this dying and distressed baby dolphin deserves to have a large gnarled fist inserted into their moronic, grinning faces at 70mph.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
Pseudonym said:

Thing is, cows are stupid; they had the brains bred out of them centuries ago when they were domesticated. Also, when they're slaughtered for meat it's (usually) done in the quickest way possible to minimize suffering. Moreover, I'm a firm believer that even dumb "meat" animals should lead relatively comfy, full lives prior to the slaughterhouse; I refuse to eat dishes like veal and balut on this principle, and I try to buy free range meats whenever possible.

This on the other hand...they took one of the most intelligent wild animals on the planet, a species known for selflessly rescuing grounded whales and drowning humans, and subjected it to a slow, agonizing death purely for getting five seconds of fame (or infamy in this case).
Does that mean killing an idiot human is less immoral than killing a genius human? Since morality of whether to kill a living creature or not is based around its intellect.

Apr 25, 2009
Batou667 said:
Digi7 said:
I was parodying the posters who were falling over themselves to display how superlatively unfazed they were by this small creature's suffering, either to show off their big boy credentials ("I watched Bambi once and didn't even cry, get on my level") or deflecting onto their pet cause ("You think this is bad? Read about pharmaceutical vivisection one day, you hypocrites").

I agree with you. Every person who took a selfie with this dying and distressed baby dolphin deserves to have a large gnarled fist inserted into their moronic, grinning faces at 70mph.
Ahh, my bad. I was mad and caught you in the crossfire. I'm usually pretty good at picking up sarcasm but I was a little blind there.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Digi7 said:
Gonna be honest, it makes me extremely upset how detached, ignorant and stupid people are around nature and animals. I'm gonna swear a lot and be very emotional in this post, so forgive me.

Fuck everyone involved with this, and especially fuck the guy that pulled it out of the ocean in the first place.

There are so many idiots in this thread as well talking about how we torture and kill animals every day for food and that this is no different. It is ENTIRELY different and a fucking ridiculous comparison. They sure as hell weren't going to eat this creature, and dolphins are illegal to take anyway. The morals of buying supermarket meat and mass produced animal products is definitely hazy, but not everyone can hunt their own meat and produce their own leather to ensure it's clean and ethical.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Comparing grey-area unethical fishing operations to a bunch of fuckwits plucking a little animal out of the ocean and parading it around for photographs is also a stupid comparison. I eat steak from the grocery store, but if I get upset at a story about a bunch of teenagers torturing and burning a cow to death I have no ground to stand on? Stupid.

Batou667 said:
One day the universe will undergo heat death and all of this will have been meaningless.

I hereby award myself a trophy for Most Nihilistic Post in this thread. Get on my level, you bleeding-heart hippies. Ladies, form an orderly line, I am but one man.

Pseudonym said:

Lol edgy. Causing waste and pain is disgusting. There was no reason to kill this dolphin like there is a reason to slaughter a cow or shoot a deer for food.
Yeah, I was going to ignore this thread, but since people are now arguing over comparisons to other animal suffering I feel I should give my two cents.

It's not so much that this is equivalent to what goes on in the meat industry, animal experimentation, hunting, or any other of the questionable things we do to animals, nor is as simple as "if you're opposed to this and not to that other stuff you're a hypocrite", these comparisons are being made due to the absurd disparity between reactions. Sure, the fact that this was completely unnecessary makes it worse, but how much worse?
I remember previous threads on this site discussing vegetarianism/veganism, and the general reaction seemed to be the usual you get on the internet, ie, a bunch of people talking about how moralistic and preachy vegetarians are, a bunch of lame arguments about cruelty to vegetables, and the usual declarations of how much meat the poster is about to/currently eating just to show how apathetic they are. And it's not like that's unusual for the internet in general.
If you were to tell people that the meat industry should be shut down because it's cruel to animals, you'll usually get a look as if you'd just said the Earth is flat. Yet, if a single kitten, puppy, or dolphin is harmed then it's suddenly the end of the world.

Again, it's not that the two are equivalent, it's that there is far too little difference to warrant the disparity in reactions.

Edit:
Also, despite what it might appear, I'm not actually accusing you of holding disparate opinions, just that the reason why people are comparing it to the meat industry is because this cruelty is a drop in the ocean (no pun intended) compared to all the cruelty that gets condoned because it's beneficial for us.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yep. This is definitely a classic case of too many stupid people in one area. I'm sure they didn't want to kill it, as careless as it was. Hopefully most learn from this; that sea life may not last on land.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Christ...and I get upset when people do things like squash honeybees because they don't want to get stung (hey idiots, don't bother them and they won't bother you) or kill harmless garter snakes because they think they're rattlesnakes. But this...this is on another level entirely, especially given how intelligent and altruistic dolphins are.
Does that really make much difference? If so, why? Genuine question.