Back story for "the ancient one"

Aerevolt

Jan 11, 2011
I just got around to seeing Doctor Strange and I throughly enjoyed it. I did feel one of the weaknesses was the lack of back story for the "Ancient One".
Maybe I missed something, but all I got from the dialog was that she is very old and Celtic. I was wondering if there was anything to support her being Boudica, the Celtic warrior who was able to hold off the Roman Empire, until she was totally outnumbered.
I believe that Marvel must have put more thought into her back story.
Does anyone have any insight on this?
Did you feel like she did/didn't need more of a story?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I don't know. I kinda like her mysterious nature. Whoever she is, doubtless shes had her hand in a lot of history.

Id like it better if she were still Tibetan but whatever.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Fieldy409 said:
I don't know. I kinda like her mysterious nature. Whoever she is, doubtless shes had her hand in a lot of history.

Id like it better if she were still Tibetan but whatever.
Eh, in fairness, it was a "damned if you do damned if you don't" situation considering the comic portrayal and the associated stereotypes it draws upon. To her credit, I think Swinton did a great job with the movie's variation of the character.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
She's a Celtic wizard who was really good at wizarding and discovered bad juju immortality magics.
I don't think she needed more than that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The Comic Ancient One is not the same as the movie. So its really up to the writer/director to tell you, since the comic version is an ancient Asian man, not a Celtic Woman.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Just on the whole they had a great build up and then all of a sudden wrapped it all up into one neat outcome... felt cheap, real cheap.
Especially the special snowflake hero, one moment he can't wipe his butt the next he is beating down magic users no one else could previously touch.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Smooth Operator said:
Just on the whole they had a great build up and then all of a sudden wrapped it all up into one neat outcome... felt cheap, real cheap.
Especially the special snowflake hero, one moment he can't wipe his butt the next he is beating down magic users no one else could previously touch.
So, were you in the bathroom when the "Study and Practice" thing was brought up? For crying out loud, the movie literally showed him studying in his freaking sleep (Via Astral Projection). Say what you will about Strange in the movie, the man worked his butt off.

Also, he wasn't really beating down magic users. The guy got thrashed to the point he had to get tricky in order to win his fights.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I just assumed she was Yoda, because as much as I like that movie, they were just Jedi doing Jedi things until the Sith showed up.