Bad Anime...

Nalfen

Sep 1, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
I read and enjoy the Hetalia manga, but I can't speak for the quality of its anime adaptation.
I should clarify here, the list of stuff I posted there is stuff I have not seen in it's entirety so it may or may not be good, I do not know yet, I simply put them there because it was part of a list of stuff we had collected to check out to see if it's bad, if any of them turn out to not really be that bad then it's not bad, it was a mistake for me to list those so I apologize for making presumptions on stuff I haven't gotten to yet.

Nalfen

Sep 1, 2009
[Kira Must Die said:
]Yes, but that doesn't really bother me at all.
Plus I always figure that just because people paid to watch it doesn't mean they ended up enjoying it.
Kinda like how a youtube video has more than a million views but tons of dislikes, yet the media still consider it to be a hit because people looked at it.
Transformers is kinda like that, except you're losing money.
But who knows, maybe those people did enjoy it, either way it doesn't matter to me.
This doesn't bug me, but if you're saying popularity = good, are you willing to admit that because it was popular and a lot of people did like it, that Transformers 2 was good.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Nalfen said:
Not Good said:
90% of anything is shit. That's why there's a clearance section.

The only thing that isn't 90% shit that I can think about off the top of my head is Jeff Bridges.
You sir deserve a cookie.
I'm going to expect it in the mail.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
[Kira Must Die said:
]
Nalfen said:
[Kira Must Die said:
]Well, if it has lots of fans than that must mean they aren't completely horrible.
Those shows are popular for a reason, because they appeal to a vast number of people. Just because they don't quite fit your taste doesn't mean it's automatically bad, or that the fans are automatically stupid, it's just means your not its target audience. In order to see why it's so popular you have to ask yourself what do people like about this (Whether it be one or many factors) and what exactly is it's target audience.
Now, the truly bad animes aren't popular, and for a reason. They just plain suck, and anyone with half a brain can see that.
Transformers 2, made $836 million.
Yes, but that doesn't really bother me at all.
Plus I always figure that just because people paid to watch it doesn't mean they ended up enjoying it.
Kinda like how a youtube video has more than a million views but tons of dislikes, yet the media still consider it to be a hit because people looked at it.
But who knows, maybe those people did enjoy it, either way it doesn't matter to me.
A sucker is born every minute. I should add that the first one didn't suck so most people expected this to be just as good. The only reason TF is getting any money at all is that people bought the toys and watched previous iterations of the title characters.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Nalfen said:
[Kira Must Die said:
]Yes, but that doesn't really bother me at all.
This doesn't bug me, but if you're saying popularity = good, are you willing to admit that because it was popular and a lot of people did like it, that Transformers 2 was good.
Well, I haven't watched Transformers 2, so I wouldn't know.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
[Kira Must Die said:
]Well, I haven't watched Transformers 2, so I wouldn't know.
Save yourself the suffering and don't change that. I can't say what hasn't already been said. Most anime is garbage, nothing can change that.

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
I've only seen Death Note and the entry episodes of Cowboy Bebop and Bleach, so my only contribution to this thread of bad anime is:

Bleach:The Diamond Dust Rebellion

As for the appeal of Bleach itself, as far as I can tell the producers are god damn conniving geniuses. They wheel out villain characters of every stereotype per season, then before the audience could get sick of them they factory-belt out a new batch. Bait and Switch with shiny objects in my opinion.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Ummm really?
every popular series I've seen is very good. The big 3 are the ones you seem to be thinking of, when ANYTHING goes on too long the quality suffers. to me it just sounds like you're being a total hipster and hating something just because of the fans and hype.
The only Anime I've seen that is awful yet extremely popular is Toriko. and that is only because the thing is so loaded with filler and so slow paced I stopped after 11 episodes.
this is commonly known as Hype Backlash, You watch something that is popular and then hate it because you expected it to be amazing. I kinda had that reaction to Haruhi Suzumiya, it was a good show, just not amazing.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I've watched Black Lagoon and Ghost in the Shell, which were fantastic. They had great plots, awesome character, and plenty of action (speaking for Black Lagoon more than Ghost).

I assume you're talking about the romantic anime series, not action. Grenadier has to be the worst that I own. It's basically fanservice with guns. It has great action sequences and entertaining characters, but:
<youtube=UjHmNbUCT-U>
REALLY?!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Its the same as any other medium. The only difference is that the sheer quantity of anime means that you get a metric fuckton more bad series than otherwise. Of course, that also means there's a lot of good series as well.

Its exactly the same in North America, only on a smaller scale.

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
There are really only a handful of anime that is popular that I really disliked. The biggest example of that was "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", which even saying that name in a forum dissing anime is like asking for the entire world's nuclear arsenal to triple and then fire it all on one location, namely my house. I didn't like it, but a lot of people do. I did not like Strawberry Panic, but some people do. Ghost in the Shell, I found merely alright; many regard it as a classic. It takes all kinds, and maybe the tastes of those particular fanbases are not in line with my own (then again, I am not saying I am very niche, as I greatly enjoy DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, FMA, etc. etc).

As to the Transformers 2 example...no, again, just because it made over 830 million doesn't mean that it was good. Could you ever consider that, in fact, 80% of that 830,000,000 regret spending their money? Then it would be an example of popular and bad. Or rather, if a lot of people really hated it, then it wouldn't be too "popular". Popular indicates that it stays in the public mind for an extended period. To this day, people STILL talk about Star Wars, as it has never really left the public mind, and several quotes have become memes or street vernacular. Hell, it doesn't even have to be nearly as big; People are still raving about The Dark Knight as being one of the best superhero films of all time. Transformers 2 was a summer blockbuster that happened to make a lot of money, then kind of died off after 6 months and only got remembered because Dark of the Moon was released.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Nalfen said:
Shuffle is popular enough to be on your list? Hmm, that pleases me as I liked the show. It has genuinely good character development and doesn't cop out on the whole choosing a girl thing.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Grey Carter said:
But I do agree with you to a degree, op. Some of the popular shows out there just boggle my mind. Lucky Star, in particular, seems completely irredeemable.
All the ones you listed I love (except the first FMA anime. Hated it so much, though mostly because I saw how much better the plot to Brotherhood was. Yet I loved Lucky Star. It's character and humor-driven. Not really a plot, just people talking about shit, which I find entertaining because that's the sort of thing that entertains me most when just hanging out with friends.

But as far as BAD anime goes, I've heard very little praise for Gantz.

Oh and Garzey's Wing. That's absolutely horrible (though I swear that the little pixie girl had the same voice actress as Ed from Cowboy Bebop.)

fretless94

Apr 5, 2010
The only anime I actually like are Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Azumanga Daioh, and Panty & Stocking, along with a few films like Spirited Away and Interstella 5555. Everything else I either don't give a crap about or despise.
The worst anime I know of are Bleach and Eiken.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Wait, what? Elfen Lied was bad?

I hate you now. Elfen Lied is one of my all-time favorites.

In fact, none of the animes I've seen mentioned here are truly bad. You want to see truly bad? Try Legend of Crystania. Or how about (*puts on asbestos suit*) Revolutionary Girl Utena?

While it's true, things like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece... these shows aren't going to be breaking any new ground or winning awards for awesomeness, they aren't bad. They just aren't great. And they aren't even trying to be great. They're average. They're the Budweiser to Elfen Lied's Guinness.

Also if Not Good gets a cookie for quoting Sturgeon's Law, can I get one for mentioning the MST3K Mantra?

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
The Apothecarry said:
I've watched Black Lagoon and Ghost in the Shell, which were fantastic. They had great plots, awesome character, and plenty of action (speaking for Black Lagoon more than Ghost).

I assume you're talking about the romantic anime series, not action. Grenadier has to be the worst that I own. It's basically fanservice with guns. It has great action sequences and entertaining characters, but:
<youtube=UjHmNbUCT-U>
REALLY?!
Take notes OP.

I found all of the shows listed above to be boring, annoying, and aggravating. This is what you call having different taste or opinions then other people. This and Sturgeon's law makes finding anything worth watching very difficult. I will agree that a lot of popular anime is trash, but I think Death Note is one of the worst things I have ever seen so what do I know :p.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
because they are made by big budget studio,s (the same reason COD sells by the shitloads every three month,s)

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
CJ1145 said:
Grey Carter said:
But I do agree with you to a degree, op. Some of the popular shows out there just boggle my mind. Lucky Star, in particular, seems completely irredeemable.
All the ones you listed I love (except the first FMA anime. Hated it so much, though mostly because I saw how much better the plot to Brotherhood was. Yet I loved Lucky Star. It's character and humor-driven. Not really a plot, just people talking about shit, which I find entertaining because that's the sort of thing that entertains me most when just hanging out with friends.

But as far as BAD anime goes, I've heard very little praise for Gantz.

Oh and Garzey's Wing. That's absolutely horrible (though I swear that the little pixie girl had the same voice actress as Ed from Cowboy Bebop.)
See I'm going to disagree. I thought Bones' take on the FMA ending was far less generic and "I HIT YOU WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP. LOL" than Brotherhood's. I also thought some of the pacing changes really helped build character. Mustang against Wrath, Edward against Greed, Lust's attempt at redemption etc. I know Brotherhood was closer to the source material but I preferred the original series.

Gantz... Gantz is a good idea let down by awful pacing. The show goes to extreme lengths to show that the characters are under immense stress and time limits yet all they do is stand around asking "what should I do?" over and over again. The anime also diverges completely from the (utterly mental) manga.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
evilneko said:
Wait, what? Elfen Lied was bad?

I hate you now. Elfen Lied is one of my all-time favorites.

In fact, none of the animes I've seen mentioned here are truly bad. You want to see truly bad? Try Legend of Crystania. Or how about (*puts on asbestos suit*) Revolutionary Girl Utena?

While it's true, things like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece... these shows aren't going to be breaking any new ground or winning awards for awesomeness, they aren't bad. They just aren't great. And they aren't even trying to be great. They're average. They're the Budweiser to Elfen Lied's Guinness.

Also if Not Good gets a cookie for quoting Sturgeon's Law, can I get one for mentioning the MST3K Mantra?
Elfen Lied did the same as the currently running "Deadman Wonderland".
It cut the manga CONSIDERABLY.
It spurred into a different plot and cut away many characters. I loved the cyborg ex-military man that escaped and lived on the beach, he was awesome both in the manga and the anime, but he had a bugger role in the manga.
Overall Elfen Lied was a very good anime but I know it appeals to a niche crowd exclusively.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
I've only seen Prof. Otaku's review of Bathtime With Hinako, but I can safely put it in the bad category; I had a strong urge to hurl after seeing it. I mean, what the ****? Did somebody hire Gary Glitter to make this?