Bad games that got GOOD reviews

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Dragon age 2. I was ultimately disappointed with that game. I hated every aspect of it. It had run of the mill graphics, story was bad, dialogue was bad, voice acting was bad, the bugs where horrible, music was shocking.

I got it, played it. 4 days later, I sold it. And I regret nothing.

Monkey_Warfare

Sep 10, 2008
Dragon age 2 got higher than it deserved I feel, it felt like they realised towards the end it was a bit bit short and jammed that ashirok subplot in. GTAIV, played on just after Saints Row 2 and was bored, didn't even last 2 hours before I abandoned it. CODMW2 on PC, if you were paying attention when it came out I'm sure you understand. WoW and final fantasy 13, maybe the late game content is good but if I give up before getting there it doesn't matter.

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
All Halo games after CE.

I personally hate just about every rockstar game simple because of their crappy driving controls.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Radoh said:
Would you look at this thread? What is this all about now, people liking things you don't like?
Seriously now, good reviews happen because the reviewers like them, and liking something is a Subjective thing. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean the game is bad, just that you don't like it.
Blah.
So sad that someone who speaks so much sense would apparently be ignored (only read the first page, though.)

I have to agree with Radoh.

Just because you don't like a game, doesn't mean its bad. It means you don't like it.

Expanding a little:
I didn't like Mass Effect (as a series and games). I thought the games were just plain boring and unattractive. Does that mean they were bad games? Not at all!

I didn't like the Halo games either. That doesn't mean they are bad in any way. That just means that they didn't appeal to me.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

It's an awful game. The controls are so bad, I'm having nightmares after trying the game. The gameplay below average, the aesthetics are nothing special. All in all, it's a below average game. I don't get why it gets so good review scores.
Yes. Yes! I'm not alone!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DOOMGUY said:
I recently looked at Metroid:The Other M's reception and it was positive to mixed, which dumbfounded me so I thought. There always good games that got bad reviews posts, why not bad games that got good to mixed reviews. Thoughts?
In before Halo, Gears, Half Life bashing

The closest I can think is Killzone 2, I think is highly over-rated but still a solid game. I rented it specifically TRYING to hate it and I couldn't I couldn't help but admit it was fundamentally right. But not a 9.1 right. There just wasn't enough to it yet it was not at the other nd of extremely pure kind of gameplay, it was lumpy but brisk.

I suppose the only BAD game I have played that was highly rated, and I mean so bad I regret playing even an hour of let alone TWENTY HOURS of: Final Fantasy X. FUUUUUCK, I gave that game so many chances to begin to get good and it. never. did.

Ah well, maybe there is some aspect of that schlock someone else likes but I didn't find a single redeeming feature for playing it.

The combat was unengaging, the leveling was uninspiring, the characters were terribly presented and the main plot meandering along like a side-quest. CGI was good... for year 2000.

It's not that there was anything to hate, just nothing to like.

spanielcheckers said:
BioShock 2 comes to mind.
But that game was so under rated, clearly only by comparison to the original Bioshock. In comparison to all the other games on the market it did so much right.

Did you play it on PC or console? Everyone who hated it played it on console, I'm telling you games like that do not work on console.

Where did bioshock 2 fall short? What aspects did you hate? What aspects do you think were missing or fell critically short?

Warboss Robgutz

Jul 13, 2010
every fifa game that has ever existed. they should have reviewed the first one. and then kept the score for every subsequent peice of vagina-gas that EA has spewed out.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
*Shrugs* The Uncharted games. seriously, they bored me to tears; repetitive combat, unrelatable characters, arbitrary and linear settings.

Really, you'd think a game series that has more colour than Gears of war 1 and 2 would be more fun, no, not really. GoW (the 360 one, not the PS3 one) is a much more enjoyable franchise.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
the.gill123 said:
Bioshock 2, it got a 9.1 on IGN, I hate that site. Apparently if a game gets a 7 it means it's average, in what world is 7 average?
Well it is the sum total scores added together and divided by the number of titles.

Or at least that is what an average is SUPPOSED to be! Average being the most commonly used type, the "mean" other system make adjustments for outliers but the mean is right on 95% of the time.

The problem is IGN arbitrarily says "7 is average" when really the have to just let critics sore games what they like IN COMPARISON TO OTHER CRITICS! The system will feed back on itself and will dynamically adapt. In actuality 7.5 is closer to the average.

But IGN still has the problem of composite scoring, they do the separate out-of-10 scores for graphics, sound and story which is utterly dogmatic and out of place considering:

-some games deliberately have basic graphics (minecraft, many 2D games) and you have relativism problems of home console and handheld games graphics.
-Sound is far more dependant on the speakers/headset you are using than and if a game doesn't have a stirring soundtrack does it really deserve to lose in a 25% category?
-Some games purposely have zero story like racing and arcade style shooters, does that make them bad games?

Ultimately: ignore IGN

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
Doom 3. I played it in the dark with headphones on, the whole thing, hoping it would scare the shit out of me. Boring, samey corridor hell, the guns look and sound like shit and the whole flashlight or gun mechanic may have looked good on paper but inevitably is fucking annoying. The only thing I liked about it was the enemies looked good. It got 8.9 on IGN and 8.7 on Gamespot.

SovietPanda

Jun 5, 2011
ghost whistler said:
CrashBang said:
Dragon Age 2 was bad. It felt like DLC and not a story in its own right, it was padded out by dull side quests, the characters and events were extremely boring and every building and dungeon was a copy/paste of the last one. I hate that game but so many critics loved it.
It's not a bad game, it's just a underdeveloped story. A shame it's creators couldn't be bothered to do it justice and saw fit to fob off the fans with a small scale adventure set entirely in Kirkwall city.
LOL it's "JUST" an underdeveloped story? it's also a copy pasted collection of only about 5 or 6 different locations, it's an excercise in how much can we railroad players in what was touted as an RPG into situations and choices they either dont care about or actively disagree with. it was the poor bastard child of a really fun game and i hope bioware learnt alot from it.

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
Castlevania: Order of Esscellia. That game got like 9.5 reviews and it was the worst game in the series. Lame plot, bad combat mechanics, poor weapon (or glyph) drops and a poor system in general. And some genius decided to remove the awesome "metroidvania" style of world exploration. Not to mention they decided to keep the RPG elements but put every boss fight at the start of the level. I thought the point of putting the boss at the end was so you could grind on the way to the boss so you're strong enough to face him and you feel like you actually accomplished something!

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
GeorgW said:
It happens all the time. It's all caused by those damn opinions... A recent example is inFAMOUS 2. I found it good, but highly overrated. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.296612] Meanwhile, the one person I though would agree with me, Yahtzee, loved it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3611-Infamous-2] I felt betrayed...
*cracks fists*

Hey, hey. inFAMOUS 2 is my most favourite game for the PS3 right now.

But hey, I digress. Counter-Strike; seriously, Its considered to be one of the best online shooters of all time. I found it repetitive, cheap, retardedly hard, and I've played much more enjoyable online games in my life. Its kinda insulting for me know a piece of garbage like this was made by the mighty Valve.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
TheKasp said:
FF X *duck and run*

Hach, just kidding. I only hate this game and its solely my biased opinion that it is the worst game ever made.

On topic: Since it is a question about our bias: FF X. Bad story, bad characters, bad skill system, the combat was kind of neat.
haha, sorry, I just got an "arson, murder, and jaywalking" vibe from what you said, just wanted to let you know.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Perfect Dark Zero, surely. Didn't it get 9s all round?
No, actually it didn't do so well because of a lot of bugs and physics glitches...

Although, I disagree with you because I was a fan of the game.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
Pokemon Black & White (from the perspective of a long time fan).

It's not a "bad" game, but it certainly isn't the best (or not as good as people have made it to be). Pokemon have been in motion since Pokemon Stadium and could have had this feature since the GBA versions. The Experience system is different and adds a higher degree of difficulty (all good things), but forces you to move on to other areas instead of just one place to grind. The new Pokemon...you either hate them or love them and I'll leave it at that. Team Plasma (?) is essentially is essentially PETA (if PETA employed animals to do their bidding), and N is pretty bad as a villain (I actually felt sorry at how bad his character was). You don't get the titular legendary until the very, very end of the game, and the whole experience is simply not the best in the franchise.

Flame Shield...ON!
Dude, relax. as long as you're defending your opinion and defending your opinion on The Escapist, we're not going to eat you alive!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
The F.E.A.R. games. People always say that the second and third games were no where near as scary as the first, and while I can agree to that (in the sense that F.E.A.R. 2 was the most ridiculous attempt to squeeze in a few moments of frontal nudity at the cost what most fans found scary), I never found the first game that scary either. The first few times anything happened It was kind of creepy, but by the end, the game was getting so predictable that I was just saying "Guy's gonna jump out of that, lights will flicker up there, little girl will walk across hallway in front of me, etc. etc."
What happened to games like Condemned and Blood, Monolith? While reboots can flop, I wouldn't mind a current-gen reboot of Blood. That sort of game has a lot of potential on today's market, as long as you don't do what you did with Blood 2 (shudders at the thought of boring gameplay, stupid ending, and flimsy weapons)

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
The halo and call of duty games, and i would say battlefield to but I have honestly never experience any battlefield game. I don't hate them because hating them is popular and what the cool kids do, because loving them and being obsessed with them is just as (if not more) prominent. I think Halo is bad because its really not that fun and at all and neither is call of duty.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Xeraxis said:
Probably Dead Rising. Moving around in that game just feels so clunky, the characters are so bland, and the camera is just terrible. Really didn't deserve the praise it gets.
I'm with you on this one.

I started playing it 2 years ago and left it thinking "i'll come back to it later"

2 years later, I've clocked in 320 hours of Left 4 Dead 1+2 and haven't touched Dead Rising once, i think the concepts of a game about killing hoards of zombies in a mall was hot shit in 2006 but not since the two L4D games and so many zombie games that are much more refined gameplay... well who cares about Dead Rising?

But does that make Dead Rising a bad or over-rated game? Or is it just a case of it ageing incredibly poorly incredibly quickly? Did it earn the score in 2006 but only relative to the lack of competition? It had a unique selling point that it lost.