Bad games that got GOOD reviews

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
R4ptur3 said:
I didnt like dawn of war II, and that got really good reviews, why? They removed base building, only had 4 factions, limited choice of units and a quite short campaign. I have never understod it. DoW I was much better by miles. Myabe the expansions were better, but i just didnt want to waste money on them if they were similar to DoW II.
See, now that is very subjective, because I liked what they did with it. It was more a small unit tactical game rather than a sort out your build/economy game. The use of cover was implemented very well and added to the depth of tactics rather than the general RTS select all and rush. It reminded me of Syndicate, and X-Com. I agree that the campaign was too short, but I didn't pay full retail for it so that didn't upset me.

DiabloBub666

Aug 1, 2010
Hmm... For me, World of Warcraft would be the biggest example... other than that, I'm not really sure. I mean, there are plenty of games that I dislike that get excellent reviews (I'm looking at you, CoD and Gears of War), but they're solid games and I can't really call them bad...

For anyone that disagrees with me on WoW, I'm NOT talking about Cataclysm. I haven't played that one. I'm talking about one of the old WoWs that had massive landscapes with no content for miles and miles, and for the first 20 hours were INCREDIBLY BORING with very dull quests, repetitive combat, and just... well, not much to DO. I don't accept "it gets better later" if I've actually taken that much time to play the game with unfavorable results...

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Dead Space 1 and 2 and the fear series. Mostly because of their attempts to be all scary when they are not...

Though I will admit out of the bunch Dead Space two did have a character I liked ad wasn't all that bad, I just hate that nearly every character in those games die so you don't care about them because you know they will at some point.

Sinathor

Mar 16, 2011
For me they'd probably be Oblivion and Portal 2. There are games that I don't like that get really good reviews but those two games are ones that I honestly can't understand how they get so good reviews as they do.

Oblivion, for obvious reasons. Being completely broken and designed by a retard monkey.

Portal 2 for... Well... Portal 1 was amazing. And Portal 2 is just more of the same, in a bad way. Same "clever" puzzles. Same "funny" jokes. Annoying "witty" characters. It's not the worst game around, but I just don't think it deserves the amount of hype it gets.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
sravankb said:
Opinions. Subjective. Not fact.

When, oh when, will the Escapist get this through their heads? There's seriously a thousand topics just like this one. And all of them can be answered with one word - opinion.
Atmos Duality said:
So people shouldn't EVER share their opinions online because it's pointless?

...Really? Well, I guess the topic's title could use the almighty "IN YOUR OPINION" stamped onto it for clarity, but is this honestly a big issue?
You're both wrong

Share IDEAS! Ideas are what can inspire opinions in others. Use facts to back that up (X game has Y aspect and not Z aspect)

OP is wrong too, mere opinion is not enough, and frankly hate wagons lead no where.

People can blast "opinions" at each other all day, but it's ideas that really matter. Ideas can be as broad, narrow, abstract or definite as you like, such as the idea that such and such isn't really good and may only be considered good (now, here,) for irrelevant reasons.

Yet opinions are valuable, as you cant have ideas in a vacuum of opinion, without the factor of persona human preference, your opinion is your guide, your homing device on what to think about. To explore your feelings towards a given game, do you love in in ways you can really expect others to love it?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Treblaine said:
You're both wrong

Share IDEAS! Ideas are what can inspire opinions in others. Use facts to back that up (X game has Y aspect and not Z aspect)
Well, if you're describing something that's both an arbitrary ("Good/bad") and qualitative measurement, it's going to be an opinion. Supporting evidence is nice where you can get it, but that isn't going to change their experience with something.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
GTA 4. I just didn't find it fun.
Spore. While I did like the Space Oil Tycoon and the creature levels, the rest of it was boring and poorly done.
Fable 2. Read GTA 4, also playing fallout 3 right after getting the sword and stopping might have attributed to this for me.
Deadly Premonition. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but the controls are kinda dated, and it feels like a last gen game. It just isn't a game I would expect getting better than a 6.5. I feel it falls kinda into the So Bad It's Good Category for me.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
death525 said:
Dragon Age: Origins
I found it so bland and unispired. I know it was designed to be a throwback to fantasy games but it just wasnt interesting. I didnt care for any of the characters and the combat(at least if you were a mage (thats the only one I played)) was so slow and bland.
I found Awakening to be MUCH more interesting than Origins. Plus, i had a mage and i wanted to kill things with my swords so, Battlemage and Arcane Warrior seemed like natural choices for my specializations... Considering you only get those in Awakening (maybe you get Arcane Warrior in Origins, but i never managed to find it). Also, Mage had the best combat. Rogue and Warrior get damn frustrating when you run out of health potions or lose your healer (fuck you, Wynne).

OT: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Dead Space (good hell was it not only not scary, it was outright boring), and Oblivion (and yet i preordered Skyrim... Call me crazy...).

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Every Kingdom Hearts game since Chain of Memories (which, funny enough, got negative press where it wasn't deserved.)

These are just games I'm qualified to talk about, really, I mean, half of the current damn generation confuses me with how well-received it is, and not just the shooters.

Oh, and, for the fuck of it, Judas Priest's British Steel.

KnightOfHearts

May 24, 2011
I'll go with anything containing halo in it's title... but then I'd only LIKE to pretend halo is a bad game and everyone knows it.

Dead Space... it's just not that good
The story was generic
The characters were about as interesting as a plank of wood sitting around and being wood
The combat was too easy
Too much gore
and they just kept throwing the same tricks at you over and over (dead bodies jumping at you, things bursting out of air vents)

Not to mention the incredible over hyped zero gravity sequences
The only redeeming factor I found in that game was the weapon design.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Treblaine said:
You're both wrong

Well, if you're describing something that's both an arbitrary ("Good/bad") and qualitative measurement, it's going to be an opinion. Supporting evidence is nice where you can get it, but that isn't going to change their experience with something.
You're missing the point of exchanging ideas, it's not about "describing your position" it's about SELLING IT, by using prose and

This isn't good vs bad, this is a matter of gaming WORTH!

For example on could say "Dead rising is overrated shit"

Or, one could say that for 2006 Dead Rising filled a very valuable niche in the zombie market with the hiatus of Resident Evil from Zombies and upped the ante on the gore. Yet it was very quickly superseded to such a great extent looking back on it it seems it was enjoyed more for the novelty of the premise (which would not be novel within a few years) than any timeless element of gameplay.

Qualitative measurements CAN be compared and analysed, it just takes an adept use of language and deep thought of the games and entire industry and history.

It won't change people's experiences but it may help them see them in a different light, if they really hare open minded to other ideas. If they aren't then they should NOT BE ON ANY FORUMS!

Fools troll forums for mere facts.

In a nutshell: IDEAS are how you can change people's opinions, not merely describing your own opinions.

An idea would be actually analysing HOW you actually developed your OWN OPINION! This is hard for a lot of people as most don't put much thought into their preferences, they just take the sum emotions at that which is fine. But if you can't articulate how you have come to your stance then your opinion is quite worthless.

The the "idea" for the "dead Rising Overrated" opinion is considering the context of 2006, the history before 2006 and subsequent years.

As a species, and a society, as civilization itself, if we can't combine out opinions and personal qualitative analysis how can we possibly how to achieve anything? You can't boil everything down to quantitive absolutes for objective comparison.

thecopywrite

Apr 5, 2010
I see it all as subjective views, like a good game will be poor in someone else's eyes. This happens will all sorts of things, like books. I read Catcher in the Rye recently, and loved it. Then I looked at reviews and saw low scores for it, with some people calling it overrated. Just people seeing things in different ways, good or bad.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I have long wondered if I'm the only person on this earth who thinks world of Warcraft is boring tedious slog and the idea of paying money for it on a monthly basis seems insane. and also because I'm a glutton for punishment i'll also admit that there was not one single thing I like about dragon age: origins, the combat progressed at a snails pace, the dialog was uninteresting and robbed of any impact by your generic silent protagonist, the entire cast was unlikable, and yet many reviews and 90% of the internet seems to think that it is the greatest game ever and if you don't agree with them then you are just to stupid to comprehend the greatness of DA:O

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
Dragon Age holy shit that game was fucking boring.

And holy shit I wish I could go more than 10 posts without the stupid captcha.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, not so much that it got great reviews but the way people keep saying its underrated. Generic combat and automatic platforming, a story with several plot holes and poor pacing, that anime characters done photo-realistic look. A below average game, much worse than Heavenly Sword which was at least decent.