Modern Warfare 2
Black Ops
GTA 4
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Halo Combat Evolved
Halo ODST

The population of this thread will be split evenly between people who want to draw attention to a specific game fits the description of the thread's title.
And people who just want to take the opportunity to sling more hate at those inexplicably popular franchises that are duller than dirt but still sell like hotcakes for no reason.
And the people who seek out threads like this Ctrl-F their way through all the pages looking for Modern Warfare or Halo then start extremely pointless fights because apperently their opinion is more valid than everyone who disagrees with them.

I mean is there a chance in hell that Modern Warfare 3 won't get a good review? No.
Is there a chance in hell Modern Warfare 3 will be fun? No.
I might as well put that on the list preemptively

Or maybe the OP just wanted that Thread with 1000 views badge.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Vrach said:
The 'fucking around' value of it is also pretty much unmatched. It has a lot of potential too, it's just that the story sucks arse and the environment is generic as hell, both things easily fixable. Gameplay pulls it out though and the thing where you experience the story through cinematic snippets is pretty cool too (that part of the story is actually rather alright)
See, it was actually the gameplay that drove me to insane levels of rage for this game. Because they were so loose and there were no real physics in it. Not gonna try to start an argument here, I just found this game atrocious and was incredulous when I found out it got a sequel

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Nazulu said:
OhJohnNo said:
Nazulu said:
NBSRDan said:
Half-Life 2 is undoubtedly the best example of this. Every aspect of the game is complete failure, yet I couldn't find a negative review of it if my life depended on it. It got a ridiculous number of "Game of the Year" awards, and one magazine [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_PC] even rated it an 'eleven out of ten'.
I really wanna know why you believe HL2 is the best example. Pretty please.
You gotta admit, though, 11 out of 10 is fucking excessive for any game.
Better than perfect? Obviously the reviewer loved it (too much), you know how fanboys are.

I believe most scores are excessive though.
Quite possibly. But that review of Half-life 2 is what TVtropes likes to call the "Most Triumphant Example" of that phenomenon.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
Nazulu said:
OhJohnNo said:
Nazulu said:
NBSRDan said:
Half-Life 2 is undoubtedly the best example of this. Every aspect of the game is complete failure, yet I couldn't find a negative review of it if my life depended on it. It got a ridiculous number of "Game of the Year" awards, and one magazine [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_PC] even rated it an 'eleven out of ten'.
Better than perfect? Obviously the reviewer loved it (too much), you know how fanboys are.

Quite possibly. But that review of Half-life 2 is what TVtropes likes to call the "Most Triumphant Example" of that phenomenon.
Phenomemon? I don't get it.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Nazulu said:
OhJohnNo said:
Nazulu said:
OhJohnNo said:
Nazulu said:
NBSRDan said:

Phenomemon? I don't get it.
Actually, I think I might have just misused that term, but I meant "the phenomenon of giving games excessively generous reviews". I'm a generous person with regards to all media (hence why there isn't a single song I've rated below 3 stars on my iTunes library of 600+ songs) but that's not a critic's job (though I wouldn't like to see them turn into movie critics either).

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
DOOMGUY said:
I recently looked at Metroid:The Other M's reception and it was positive to mixed, which dumbfounded me so I thought. There always good games that got bad reviews posts, why not bad games that got good to mixed reviews. Thoughts?
This is too easy but I feel I owe it to intelligent society:

ANYTHING INVOLVING SPORTS. The same game, year after year, the ONLY difference most often being a roster change. And then they also charge you $60 over and over again each year. However, if you look at it, most of these guaranteed sequel after sequel games get good reviews EVERY year.

How is this possible I ask you original poster? how . . . when you are releasing your last game with the team make ups changed can you POSSIBLY justify giving it a good review, when it's NOTHING new? people gave the PSP versions of old PS1 and PS2 games less than good reviews for being direct ports. But the 2012 Madden, SEC, MLB and so on games all get top notch reviews when there's not even the excuse of better graphics or a new system to help bolster them.

caffineking

Apr 19, 2009
Demon's Souls. Definately the worst game have ever played. How it ever got so many awards is quite beyond me. Should have watched Ben Yahtzee's review before I bought it.....

Frokane

Sep 28, 2011
Kingdom hearts:
Gets 8s and 9s, sub=movie kids game puzzle with x button mashing dynasty warriors combat
:
I dont understand why people like these games and i suppose i never will
Perfect dark zero:
by no means a terrible game, but how dare the reviewers say it was better than the original
Bioshock:
Again, not a bad game by any means, but its not groundbreaking anything, there is nothing biosshock does that fallout 3 doesnt do just as good
Dragon Age 1:
Ok at everything apart from combat which sucked, doesnt deserve a 9
Dragon Age 2:
Ok at combat but sucks at everything else

Sue me

targren

May 13, 2009
Braid.

Everyone, even the great hat-wearing curmudgeon, was on their knees for this game. I don't get it. It was really far too easy for a puzzle game, and really did the whole "games as art" thing the entirely wrong way, AFAIC. And don't even get me started on that stupid "stand on a platform for 45 minutes doing nothing" star thing...

If I hadn't gotten it as part of Humble 2, I would have been PISSED that I blew money on it. As it is, I'm just sort of puzzled at the way world+dog throws hookers through its window at night.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
The_Waspman said:
Vrach said:
The 'fucking around' value of it is also pretty much unmatched. It has a lot of potential too, it's just that the story sucks arse and the environment is generic as hell, both things easily fixable. Gameplay pulls it out though and the thing where you experience the story through cinematic snippets is pretty cool too (that part of the story is actually rather alright)
See, it was actually the gameplay that drove me to insane levels of rage for this game. Because they were so loose and there were no real physics in it. Not gonna try to start an argument here, I just found this game atrocious and was incredulous when I found out it got a sequel
Ah see, that's where we differ, the controls being so loose is what I loved about it. Once you get used to them, I find it the most satisfying thing ever to just go running/flying around the city and the combat's a lot of fun with it too, particularly dropping from giant heights with Bullet Drop or Hammer Drop :)

Jul 31, 2009
Shinobi720 said:
Maximum_Power_Cheese_Supreme said:
Blame the GameSpot.com's automatic review generate. That pumps words like "amazing graphics" and "awesome fun" (and so on) into every single review they spit out.
I'm not a GameSpot fan (well, not anymore ever since Gerstmann-Gate), but that's a complete exaggeration. If would've been more appropriate description of IGN.
Yeah. More or less quoting Yahtzee.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I thought this would be about games that that flopped and got a lot of bad user reviews but got good scores from critics (Like Metroid: Other M), not a bunch of people saying "I hate X so it doesn't deserve the acclaim it got."

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Gorilla Gunk said:
I thought this would be about games that that flopped and got a lot of bad user reviews but got good scores from critics (Like Metroid: Other M), not a bunch of people saying "I hate X so it doesn't deserve the acclaim it got."
Don't tell me you just found out every one has a different opinion. No matter what, your going to find people who love and hate everything, and people who are just off topic. No matter how well you word it.

Jul 31, 2009
Shinobi720 said:
Shinobi720 said:
Blame the GameSpot.com's automatic review generate. That pumps words like "amazing graphics" and "awesome fun" (and so on) into every single review they spit out.
I'm not a GameSpot fan (well, not anymore ever since Gerstmann-Gate), but that's a complete exaggeration. If would've been more appropriate description of IGN.
Yeah. More or less quoting Yahtzee.
So I forgotten the Yahtzee reference, so sue me alright?
Okay, I sue you 1'000'000'000 Dollars. I will see you in court my good sir.