Bad voice acting that just makes you nerdrage

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Warcraft 3. Pretty much everyone in it, excepting possibly Jaina for one or two lines.

Arthas was boring and had an annoying lisp. Tyrande was boring, Illidan was boring and had the Christian Bale syndrome of trying too hard to make a fake voice with the end product sounding retarded, and Malfurion who very obviously did not give a shit about what was going on. His wife of 10000 years gets kidnapped, his evil demon-possessed brother offers to help save her, and he's just like yea whatever. The VAs are so uninspired it hurts playing that game. Hell, WC2 had better VA's and that only had voices when you interacted with units.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
Men of War. The Dev team is Russian but the voice acting for the soviets is bloody terrible. WHY COULDN'T A DEVELOPER JUST DO IT!!!!!!

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Why does everyone insist on the japanese voices of Street Fighter characters?

Zangief - Russian
Ken, Charlie, Guile, Cody - American
Juri - Korean
Dhalsim - Indian
Dee Jay - Jamaican
Abel - French

etc etc etc

Wouldn't it make more sense that they spoke English as a second language instead of Japanese?

You say a lot of japanese voice overs aren't as silly, well, to be honest, a lot of them also sound really freakin' monotone and boring.....ESPECIALLY in an over the top fighting game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I've played plenty of games with bad voice acting, SoulCalibur 2 and it's subsequent sequels are some of the biggest culprits and one of the main reasons I'm glad they have a japanese voice track (at least SC2, I don't know about the others).
Oh, come on, the English VAs for Soul Calibur 2 were so hilariously awful it made up for it.

"I WILL DESTROY YOU! GO AWAY!" Nightmare is pretty narmy, but the best bad voice acting goes to Mitsurugi.

"The name is MITSURUGI! REMEMBER IT!"

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
While I've never played the game myself, this one came up on Good Game once and...just fucking listen to it:

I don't so much nerd-rage as I do laugh my fucking ass off.

But what does peeve me is when it's really obvious that the actors doing the voice acting are phoning it in because they feel it's "beneath them". Oh sure, nowadays there are a lot of famous voice actors (i.e Nolan North) and most decent games also have a pretty good bar set in terms of the quality of voice-acting (and actors from other mediums actually put in pretty stellar performances from time to time), but in a lot of examples of bad voice-acting in games from the era where "Lack of actors or the funding to find them" is no longer an excuse I feel like that's the reason sometimes, and it sorta cheapens it all a bit.

Master-Jedi

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah I think the voice acting in Mega man X4 is the worst ever.
Like this scene. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISmPmdUhYA]
It's horrible.

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
SnootyEnglishman said:
It has bad voice acting but Resident Evil 1 is one of those cases where the bad voice acting is just hilarious.
Resident Evil was intentionally made the way it was, so saying it's bad is wrong (but right somehow).

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
Every video game ever, with the exclusion of Bioshock.
thats a bit ignorant don't you think?

anyway, i don't enjoy that all 3rd person talk. you know when a charcter is like

Cicero: Cicero loves the night mother, Cicero is a good boy.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Pegghead said:
While I've never played the game myself, this one came up on Good Game once and...just fucking listen to it:

I don't so much nerd-rage as I do laugh my fucking ass off.

But what does peeve me is when it's really obvious that the actors doing the voice acting are phoning it in because they feel it's "beneath them". Oh sure, nowadays there are a lot of famous voice actors (i.e Nolan North) and most decent games also have a pretty good bar set in terms of the quality of voice-acting (and actors from other mediums actually put in pretty stellar performances from time to time), but in a lot of examples of bad voice-acting in games from the era where "Lack of actors or the funding to find them" is no longer an excuse I feel like that's the reason sometimes, and it sorta cheapens it all a bit.
Okay, just... What kind of game is that? And why does it have Karen, Yuri and Nicolai from the first two Shadow Hearts games in it? My lawsuit senses are tingling.

On topic, a list of games with bad voice acting:

- Soul Calibur -> everyone
- Final Fantasy -> mainly Tidus (FF X), Vaan and Penelo (FF XII) and Vanille (FF XIII)
- Star Ocean -> in the fourth one, there's a character that keeps saying "kay" at the end of her sentences. She must die.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Leemaster777 said:
Personally, Terra's voice in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep causes violent seizures in my brain.

The Kingdom Hearts series has fairly consistently good voice acting, and even within THAT GAME, there's some real winners (Mark Hamill and Leonard Nimoy steal the show), but Terra? God damn, he's EASILY the worst voice in the entire series.

Not only that, but he's supposed to be the main freaking character of that game, so he never has a chance to SHUT UP.

Frankly, he's one of the main reasons I can't call that game my favorite in the series.
Worse than Larxene? I love her to death, but I understand why people hate that laugh.
To be fair, I never played RE:CoM, so her voice could very well be worse. But the main point is that Terra is a main character, Larxene isn't. So you don't have to listen to her CONSTANTLY throughout the game.

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
Everyone except Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean in Oblivion. It actually made me wince. Coupled with those moon-faces mouthing like fish at me .... god I hate that game.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Hazy992 said:
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I think the stuff Rockstar does is at least decent.
Rockstar somehow manage to find brilliant voice actor who are utterly unheard of but great at what they do! I don't know how they do it! case in point.. Roman Bellic!

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Okay, just... What kind of game is that? And why does it have Karen, Yuri and Nicolai from the first two Shadow Hearts games in it? My lawsuit senses are tingling.

On topic, a list of games with bad voice acting:

- Soul Calibur -> everyone
- Final Fantasy -> mainly Tidus (FF X), Vaan and Penelo (FF XII) and Vanille (FF XIII)
- Star Ocean -> in the fourth one, there's a character that keeps saying "kay" at the end of her sentences. She must die.
I did a little snooping, and this is what I found:

"Chaos Wars is a crossover between several companies' role-playing video game series, including Aruze's Shadow Hearts, Atlus's Growlanser, Idea Factory's Blazing Souls, Spectral Souls, and RED Entertainment's Gungrave and Shinsengumi Gunraw Den."

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
seagoon said:
Hazy992 said:
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I think the stuff Rockstar does is at least decent.
Rockstar somehow manage to find brilliant voice actor who are utterly unheard of but great at what they do! I don't know how they do it! case in point.. Roman Bellic!
Yeah they do that, and they get well established voice actors :D I'd say Rockstar has some of the best voice acting in video games.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Hazy992 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hazy992 said:
I'm gonna use a game as an example, but it can apply to anything so I thought to post it in off-topic. Anyway...

I was fiddling around on the settings on Street Fighter x Tekken and saw English language options for the Tekken characters that usually only speak Japanese. Nothing could prepare me for the horrors that awaited:

Asuka [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGdqAPxs6wg#t=0m0s]
Heihachi [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGdqAPxs6wg#t=1m8s]
Kazuya [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGdqAPxs6wg#t=1m35s]
Jin/Xiaoyu [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGdqAPxs6wg#t=2m35s]

Why?! Why have they done this?! They're awful! Dammit Capcom! D:
0_o I thought most of those were quite good or at least entertaining, but then again I don't have anything to compare them to.
Do you not play Tekken? I guess they're not too awful if you don't know what the Japanese voices are like. It was the shock of hearing them talk in English that made it worse for me.
No I don't play Tekken. I'm not big on Fighting games. I've played a few, but the Tekken series is not among them. So yeah, like I said I don't have anything to compare it to, I haven't heard the Japanese voices.
It's the same thing when I hear really stuck up elitist Anime fans complain about the voices in dubbed anime. Many of the dubs I've seen have featured some great performances, or at least I thought so; but then I haven't watched the original subbed version so I don't have much to compare it to. After all I hate reading subtitles and I prefer to watch things in my own language.

EDIT: Oh um... no offense intended, if you like subbed anime.
Hey man, each to their own. There's some anime that I just can't watch in English, others where I don't mind either way and others where I love the English dub. DBZ is a good example; I think the Japanese VAs are great but I love the English VAs more.