Baffling Comparison Places Kindergarten Cop In Silent Hill

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Terramax said:
mdqp said:
Is it just me, or the locations are actually really, REALLY different, and only a few small details seem to be similar? I mean, is it possible that these posters and small details were relatively common in USA (I am from Italy, so I can't judge them from my personal experience)?
Possibly, but Kindergarten Cop was made in 1990, and Silent Hill was released a good 7-8 years later. Surely posters in America would have been different by the time Silent Hill began production.

I think Konami did take these images from KC. The Silent Hill series has always taken inspiration from American pop culture.

Did you know Eddie from SH2 was originally modalled after Eddie Murphy? Sounds strange, but at the start of development, Eddie was supposed to be a comical wisecracker just like EM.
So it's likely they took it as an inspiration (or maybe some of these posters were present in other movies, too?).

Anyway, Eddie Murphy in Silent Hill 2? Now THAT blew my mind away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjqthfe4LYo

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I'm not sure this is necessarily an homage that the development team intended. I mean, we're mostly talking about some posters, the front door of a building and a bus here. I think it's entirely possible that one or more of the artists simply used some things from the movie as visual reference for their work. Especially considering it was a Japanese team that made the game. I'd imagine they looked to all kinds of movies and photographs to help them get the look of the town and buildings down.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm going to take a stab at this and say the Japanese developers based unable to visit American schools did the next best thing and used stills from Movies.

Still... spooky.

Considering I called the short monsters 'tumor babies'

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
this comparison is likely to spawn some kind of fanfic where the terminator fights pyramid head.
hang on... that'd be pretty cool now that I think about it. I'm going to go write that now.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
At first I thought it was pure silliness, but some of those posters and perspectives do seem perfectly yanked from the movie. I love it when people notice these things.

Now you need to do a comparison of the movie Demolition Man to real life. There are so many little facets to demolition man that line up with what occurs in the future.

For instance, when the big bad selects a horrible criminal to release from cryoprison during the climactic sequence, he selects none other than Scott Peterson [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Peterson]. Coincidence... or PROPHECY?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
All I can say is:

I've must have seen that movie at least 10 times, and played the game about just as many times, and yet I've never made the connection. How many more of these things are out there. This shall by my new quest. Join me!

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Strazdas said:
SirCannonFodder said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Some of those are a bit...tenuous. Oooh, they've both got a school bus just like most other schools in America! Ooh they've both got medicine cabinets just like frikking everywhere...
Does every school bus also have the number 7 in the exact same spot, and has the "Ford" branding in the exact same spot of the grill?
very likely. the ford brand on the bus is a standard for this bus type and if government wanted to supplement schools with buses they would go and buy like 100 identical buses and give them to various schools. 7 is not that big of a number to have for buses you know.
In my experience, most School Buses have a 2 or 3 digit number, not a single digit one. And there are tons of different models of School Bus, just do a quick google search.

Most likely explanation: Arnold is very popular in Japan, so when the dev team needed source material, they turned to a popular movie set in a similar location.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Triviumaddicted said:
Silent Hill is in Virginia. It's mentioned several times. In both the games and the 2006 movie. Case closed
No, it's in Maine.

Canon aside, I can totally believe Astoria is the basis for Silent Hill. Just look at the geography.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Blue Musician said:
I wonder why it took nearly 14 years to see this reference. BTW what is Kindergarten Cop about? Never heard about it.
Well wirdly enough Kindergarten Cop is about a Cop who has to work in a Kindergarten.

Hilarity ensues.

PS: how have you not heard of this movie? It's one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's most underrated roles as he plays it completely straight (none of the theatrics he pulls in Jingle All the Way or Batman & Robin) in a movie that is overall played very straight but still hilarious circumstance of a hardened cop trying to go undercover as a teacher of tiny puny children. He discovers that he can't use the intimidation he relied on as is job hunting adult criminals, in a way he discovers a dormant paternal instinct in himself.

It's a really great movie.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hoagster51 said:
I hate horror games, but this makes me want to play it.
It's one of the better ones around, made better for it's basic graphics it's use of sound is superb. Still yet to be bested (hmm, maybe Amnesia, but that may be TOO scary). Silent Hill is not gross gory, the graphics are too basic, but like any good horror movie it leaves most to the imagination.

I honestly can't recommend the sequels and wouldn't even want a Silent Hill remake, the PS1 game is classic. If you play just one Survival Horror game, try Silent Hill. You won't really need to see any other.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol yeah a few, not all tho, of those are actually eerily similar
but the bus and medicine cabinet are just typical things you'd expect to see
still, the Japanese dev team might've only had one VHS or something to reference for an American town :p

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
moosek said:
Dude, The Goonies took place in Astoria. The movie you shot to first was Kindergarten Cop?
you don't see a hospital or a school in the Goonies.....

wait you're a genius.... a Goonies game!

Taake my money now!