Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Editon to Feature New Story Content

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Editon to Feature New Story Content

The Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edited will be adding more than 350,000 words of text to the game.

When the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition porting issues, the PC version <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10076-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition-Review.2>offered some nice tweaks to help the game shrug off some of its more archaic facets. All in all, it was a nice re-release.

Some were quick to note, however, that the Enhanced Edition's refinements were, in some ways, inferior to what modders had already accomplished, leaving gamers to choose whether or not it was worth investing in the new version when the original, <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom>with a bit of elbow grease, could potentially be better. Perhaps recognizing this issue, Beamdog, the publisher behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, has been working hard to ensure to ensure that Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition is, unquestionably, the best version of the game. One step being taken is substantially expanding on the game's story. "We're hard at hard on BG2: EE," said Trent Oster, president of Beamdog. "Phil (our design lead) mentioned to me there is over 350,000 words of new content."

The extra word count will take the form of quests and additional story details that takes place across the course of Baldur's Gate 2 and its expansion Throne of Bhaal, which will be bundled with the PC and Mac versions of the Enhanced Edition. Needless to say, that much extra writing is pretty impressive and, if it's well executed, could definitely help the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate 2 be the version to pick. That said, one of the thing's Baldur's Gate 2 is primarily remembered for is its story, so Beamdog takes a risk in tinkering with the element many fans love the most.

Source: PCGamer

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
They'd better put the Ascension 'mod' in (at least as optional). maybe 'Ascension Difficulty', seeing as while it's a mod, it was made by the actual people working on it to add in things they had to cut for retail...it's not something they have to ask a random kid in his basement for permission to use.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I've always had a really hard time getting into Baldur's Gate for some reason. The unit movement was obnoxious and AD&D rules make no sense, sure, but I love these kinds of games...

Maybe I'll give it another shot when this comes out.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I wish they would make a 3.5e version of it. I might be able to tolerate the 4e abomination of this, but I could never wrap my head around the old rulesets.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Baldur's Gate 2 is possibly my favorite game of all time, so I hope to God that they don't make a cock-up of this. BG:EE was pretty buggy on release, but once they fixed that it was not half bad, bit pricey though.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
I hope they added more stuff into Throne of Bhaal. My only complaint with the expansion was how short it felt compared to the original BGII. I picked up the first EE and am looking forward to this one, especially since my much loved copy of BGII and Throne of Bhaal are too damaged to install the game now.

As long as they don't mess around with the main storyline I can only see more content as being a good thing.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
This reminds me of the chapter where the paladin first makes passionate love to the flesh golem. What a beautiful scene...
Begone, gnome, lest my honor demand I perform acts that you shall regret.
?Fleshy, honey,? the paladin said. ?Yes baby?? said the golem...

Let's face it, it will never be as good as the writing in the source. Writing like that is a lost art these days.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
StewShearer said:
the PC version offered some nice tweaks less than existing free fan-made patches
Adding 350,000 words of the same quality they did in the first game isn't exactly going to help matters. You can already get BG2 for $10 on GoG, already compatible with Win7, and they even provide a guide on exactly how to add the better fixes and tweaks. Why would anyone bother wasting money on a "developer" that is just replicating what has already been done?