Baldur's Gate 3

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'll be interested to see how far that number climbs over the fall. Makes me think that because this game has such massive hype people might be picking it up but leaving it unfinished. On to act 3 next.
I've finished it but I'm going to play it again this winter because it makes my PC run hot as a bastard for some reason. Going to see how it goes if I make every character a paladin.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Interestingly, less tha 15% of players have currently proceeded to act 3. Granted, this game hasn't been out for that long and is like 80 hours long, but I'll be interested to see how far that number climbs over the fall.
Low finish rates for games is surprisingly common I think. So, I've done a quick check and under 20% of Steam owners have completed Pillars 2, and only ~10% have defeated the main antagonist in Skyrim (Special Edition version that I checked, anyway).

People buy games and decide they don't like it that much, or some other sort of life intrudes, or they get bored, or they find some other game they like more, etc. For instance, I think there are people who buy more games than they can play. Obviously, the longer it is, the higher a proportion tend to switch off before the end.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
People buy game
People play game, but life intrudes, or maybe they don't particularly jam with it, or get spolied (deliberately or otherwise) and just don't have that much motiviation to wrap up the thing they already know how it ends.

But yeah completion will have a lot of oddities. Only 29% of playstation players finished Skyrims main quest and defeated Alduin even. A far more generally accessible game and a far shorter road to completion (I think its like 6 hours or less if you mainline it and use fast travel)/

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
But yeah completion will have a lot of oddities. Only 29% of playstation players finished Skyrims main quest and defeated Alduin even. A far more generally accessible game and a far shorter road to completion (I think its like 6 hours or less if you mainline it and use fast travel)/
Well, Skyrim, Fallout etc aren't really about the main quest, half the time you forget it even exists. IDK how many hours I had in Skyrim and a few different characters before I remembered about going off and finding a way to kill Alduin.

Not played BG3 myself, but if it's that big I imagine a lot of people are just taking a long time, getting distracted by side quests etc. Plus I think most people aren't quite the sort to chew through a game in a few days like some of the folks on here, it's a decent value proposition, not much point in running to the finish and missing a lot of the content if you are unlikely to do a second play through.

(On Skyrim SE, I'm pretty sure that was given free to owners of the original Skyrim on stream, so that might go some way to explain such low completion rates. Huge ownership base, but how many of them are going to bother with SE ?)

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Interestingly, less tha 15% of players have currently proceeded to act 3. Granted, this game hasn't been out for that long and is like 80 hours long, but I'll be interested to see how far that number climbs over the fall. Makes me think that because this game has such massive hype people might be picking it up but leaving it unfinished. On to act 3 next.
I stopped for now. My hardware is just not good enough for it. It worked fine enogh during act one and two, but the city of Baldur's gate itself just has maps that are too elaborate and full of people to properly handle it, even with downturned settings.

Well, it was time for some upgrade anyway, so i will probably continue soonish.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
People buy game
People play game, but life intrudes, or maybe they don't particularly jam with it, or get spolied (deliberately or otherwise) and just don't have that much motiviation to wrap up the thing they already know how it ends.

Skyrim you can get lost in and do a million things that are unrelated, and I think it's one of the worst ways to play to just do the main story and nothing else. So unlike most other games that one you get more out of by leaving the main quest for later and I guess people can play for 200 hours and feel done with the game even without doing the main quest.

Charophycean

Jul 25, 2023
Country
Australia
I'm flabbergasted over how many gamers want to jump straight into BG3 without having played BG2 or BG1. Do people not want to know who Baldur is and what his gate signifies?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Easy. The city of Baldur's Gate is named for a gate in a wall a dude named Balduran, i.e. not just 'Baldur', built to protect his loot while he fucked off never to be seen again. Half a dozen centuries later a bunch of farmers and fishermen settled within the wall, and from there it grew into a city. Then another 3--4 centures later BG1 and 2 take place, and Balduran and his gate have no more significance than a bit of lore.

Not sure why I explained that

Reactions: Hawki

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I vaguely remember some optional quest to get Baldurans helmet an some other trinket in the expansion to BG1. But yes, the above is pretty much the whole story.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Easy. The city of Baldur's Gate is named for a gate in a wall a dude named Balduran, i.e. not just 'Baldur', built to protect his loot while he fucked off never to be seen again. Half a dozen centuries later a bunch of farmers and fishermen settled within the wall, and from there it grew into a city. Then another 3--4 centures later BG1 and 2 take place, and Balduran and his gate have no more significance than a bit of lore.

Congratulations, you have fulfilled your good citizen quota for August.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I broke down and finally bought and installed BG3. And now I'm remembering why I preferred Icewind Dale and ID2 to BG and BG2. I'm on my 3rd character created already. Decided to start off with a fighter. Easy to get going early, still pretty useful later on. First character I met and put into my party... fighter. Restarted out of opportunity, having a fighter around will give me a chance to try out a class I liked better. Cleric, pretty basic with lots of ability to tweak into something cool later on at higher levels. And after 10 minutes my party consisted of 2 clerics. Decided I really hadn't sunk enough into things to get attached yet, so for party balance decided I'd go for a rogue. They have a tendency to be a decent lead character. Third party member met...

You have to be freaking kidding me. I almost gave up and made a bard, but I decided that if I did and it happened a 4th time I'd probably quit and never come back to BG3 again. So after meeting a wizard, my party is only situationally effective with a very weak cleric, 2 rogues, and an evoker. Thanks Baldur's Gate, low level adventuring sucks as much or more than it did in the days of 2nd edition. That's exactly why Icewind Dale was superior back in the day. The first hour of BG3 has been complete garbage. ID1 and 2... the first hour was all character creation and still kinda garbage. But in the end you had 6 characters you had created and got to start with a BALANCED PARTY. After a party wipe trying to clear out some kind of crypt that was being raided by a party that is twice the size and level of mine, I gave up for the day. And the day after. I just keep finding other things to do that seem more fun than grinding my teeth on where I can't go apparently in BG 3 until finding somewhere I can level up first. Which goes against all my instincts of search everywhere and find everything before moving on. I get enough of that crap anytime I encounter a metroidvania, but at least they have the decency to usually wall off places I shouldn't go yet with some kind of key item I'll pick up later.

Yeah, I know it will get better later. Doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 isn't an absolute chore to play right now though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Yeah, I know it will get better later. Doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 isn't an absolute chore to play right now though.
You can respec later.

And, surprisingly, not only your main character, but all your companions (beside optics and race). Which means you can just take whose personality you like and still have a balanced party.

Back when i played Icewind dale, i created an all-dwarf party. That obviously meant no wizard, bard, paladin or, ranger, basically only fighters, clerics, rogues and combinations thereof. Stll had a blast.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Whoever he was he must not have been very bright if he relied on a simple gate to protect whatever he valued so much. Did he not know gates can be broken open?! Didn’t pirates teach him anything?!

And most importantly, why isn’t there an augmentation for a true interrobang‽

Aha! I did it. If interested-

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
You can respec later.

And, surprisingly, not only your main character, but all your companions (beside optics and race). Which means you can just take whose personality you like and still have a balanced party.

Back when i played Icewind dale, i created an all-dwarf party. That obviously meant no wizard, bard, paladin or, ranger, basically only fighters, clerics, rogues and combinations thereof. Stll had a blast.
And the operative word there is "later." I don't want to respec later, I want to start the game with a party I created. Even if it is for comedy purposes like I did with one run through ID2 with 4 1st level halflings, an elven ranger and a dwarf fighter.

Baldur's Gate has always been more story-driven than Icewind Dale. And that just naturally means less roleplaying potential. I'm not making MY character, I'm filling in the blanks on THEIR protagonist. I knew that going in, and I'll eventually probably have a great time with Baldur's Gate. But I'd have enjoyed it more if say... you could create 6 characters, that you find in the pods in the beginning. Or if their story is so central to the experience, at least let me choose what class each character is when you first meet them, and not after you've played the first several hours of the game and get to the town where the barber is that can change someone's entire backstory for a few gold.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Thanks Baldur's Gate, low level adventuring sucks as much or more than it did in the days of 2nd edition.
You need to get to about level 5 (around where you've finished the first map area) before you get out of the shitty, low level misery. It gets much better after that.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
And the operative word there is "later." I don't want to respec later, I want to start the game with a party I created. Even if it is for comedy purposes like I did with one run through ID2 with 4 1st level halflings, an elven ranger and a dwarf fighter.

Baldur's Gate has always been more story-driven than Icewind Dale. And that just naturally means less roleplaying potential. I'm not making MY character, I'm filling in the blanks on THEIR protagonist. I knew that going in, and I'll eventually probably have a great time with Baldur's Gate. But I'd have enjoyed it more if say... you could create 6 characters, that you find in the pods in the beginning. Or if their story is so central to the experience, at least let me choose what class each character is when you first meet them, and not after you've played the first several hours of the game and get to the town where the barber is that can change someone's entire backstory for a few gold.
I'd guess theres probably a mod for that (or a way to hijack the multiplayer system like you could in the originals to create more/entire party)