Baldur's Gate: Is it worth a try?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
To tell the truth, I know almost nothing about this game. I don't know anything about the plot, characters, combat system or anything else.
The only thing I do know, is that it is a fantasy game, a setting which I don't really like. Although, I liked Dragon Age.

So, help me out. Could you please tell me anything about it's story, gameplay, or maybe your opinions about this game?
And please mention if it's worth a buy.

Thank you.

Snograt

rattus rattus
Jun 18, 2013
It's a no-brainer. For 7 quid odd on Steam and GOG (or 10 bucks, if you're that way inclined) - what have you got to lose? I'm old, so obviously I'm going to tell you it's a must buy.

Put it this way: Next time someone in the clan says "go for the eyes, Boo!" and everyone laughs, you will know why. And you will laugh too.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Snograt said:
It's a no-brainer. For 7 quid odd on Steam and GOG (or 10 bucks, if you're that way inclined) - what have you got to lose? I'm old, so obviously I'm going to tell you it's a must buy.

Put it this way: Next time someone in the clan says "go for the eyes, Boo!" and everyone laughs, you will know why. And you will laugh too.
Make way evil! I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Baldur's Gate is an isometric RPG with as someone eloquently stated "a combination of fantasy cliches put together to resemble something like a plot". I hated its writing with a passion ("Oh fair maiden, of course I shall rescue thou"), but I have to admit that it has a lot of exploration and freedom. It's pretty much an epic fantasy quest which you might hate or love.

It's a classic and as such worth playing, but honestly, if anything I'd rather recommend Planescape Torment. It's unconventional, has lots of dialogue and great story.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Snograt said:
Well, 10 bucks for starters. You know, its enough to feed me for 3 days.
Also time. lots and lots of time that he could spend playing games he likes but instead is trying to like Baldurs Gate because he was told its great. And time is more preciuos than 10 bucks.
That is of course if he does not like it, but you did ask what has he got to loose.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Karoshi said:
Baldur's Gate is an isometric RPG with as someone eloquently stated "a combination of fantasy cliches put together to resemble something like a plot". I hated its writing with a passion ("Oh fair maiden, of course I shall rescue thou"), but I have to admit that it has a lot of exploration and freedom. It's pretty much an epic fantasy quest which you might hate or love.

It's a classic and as such worth playing, but honestly, if anything I'd rather recommend Planescape Torment. It's unconventional, has lots of dialogue and great story.
Baldur's Gate 2 had a far better plot, less cliche with it's exploration of Drow culture, what it means to be human, immortality, stuff to do with souls etc.

Also the combat is easier.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Yes, they're some of the best (and most complex) RPGs you will *ever* play. Games like Mass Effect and Kotor evolved/drew very very heavily from the Baldur's Gate games, often sacrificing depth and complexity for easier combat mechanics to make the game more accessible (which is fine, those games were still great in their own right). But if you want to see where it all began, and appreciate some really intense gameplay, check out BG.

This is a guide [http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom] to run BG1 and BG2 as one long, continuous game all using BG2's mechanics. It also includes patches and commonly-used player mods, for things like obtaining multiple strongholds and getting access to additional merchants. It takes an hour or so to patch it fully, but it is definitely worth it. You will get hundreds of hours out of this game, easily.

Re: needing to read D&D manuals... you don't, really. There are a few confusing mechanics, the leading two are probably THAC0 and the entire casting system. TLDR versions: the lower your armor class, the better (don't freak out when full plate "drops" your armor to 1 when your chain mail gave you 4, that's how it's supposed to work). For spells, you have to prepare them in your spellbook, and then rest somewhere for them to be castable. To "recharge" your spells, you have to rest again. Wizards learn spells by reading scrolls, Sorcerers pick spells as they level, and Druids/Clerics have preset spell pools. Every other mechanic should be obvious as you encounter it. Mostly.

Edit: Fair warning, the most jarring thing people notice when I get them into this game is the lack of quest markers. Your hand is not held in Baldur's Gate. You have a journal which doubles as a quest log; get used to reading it. Snippets from NPC chatter, rumors you hear at a bar, or quest updates will all be found in the journal, and if you don't pay attention to it you can wander around not knowing what to do for a very long time.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
BG2 is much better, but BG1 is classic and sets up the story nicely for BG2. There are several major plot points in BG1 that aren't exactly recapped in BG2 for your convenience, and the overall story is quite good, so I would recommend doing the series "right".

Note that the recent Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is suffering some serious legal issues with Atari shutting down much of their production, so it might not be a great investment at this point in time. BGEE is better than the original BG, but it doesn't seamlessly import into BG2, and BG2EE is either indefinitely delayed or totally canceled at this point.

I agree with Karoshi above, though. Planescape Torment, while running on a much more archaic engine, is the better game. Baldur's Gate conforms to a fairly standard Tolkein-esque fantasy setting with elves, dwarves, goblins, etc., while Torment goes off in a much more unique direction. Plus, Torment's storyline is absolutely amazing.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Yojoo said:
Planescape Torment
Also this. Personally I prefer BG more since it uses the typical tolkein setting to great effect (what with the D&D racials actually meaning something), but PS:T is another incredibly good RPG from the same company in the same time period. You can also often get PS:T in combo packs with BG 1 and 2, so win-win.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Yes it is a great game but it is quite old. And some things you find in more modern RPG's are not there. Just a warning!

Don't get me wrong it is a great game, nice story, good looking isometric and you have to use your brain else you lose all your party members. Yes you can lose party members!

Yes you have to make choices and those choices matter. Yes 7 hours in someone might show up that wants to kill you because you killed their master/daugther/brother/son etc. Guess what these things happen.

And yes some people are pulling a trap on you. Guess what that happens to.

It certainly aint skyrim!

Domoslaf

Nov 10, 2009
AuronFtw said:
but PS:T is another incredibly good RPG from the same company in the same time period. You can also often get PS:T in combo packs with BG 1 and 2, so win-win.
Actually PS:T is Black Isle (Fallout guys), so it's kind of its own animal with a much darker tone and more ambiguity than Baldur's Gates. If you'd like to have a go at BG, I would strongly recommend skipping 1, it's pretty much forgettable if you disregard its importance for the genre (which was great at the time, no question). But BG2 in contrast is an amazing game to this day.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Can't speak for the original Baldur's Gate but Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance II are some of the best co-op games on the PS2.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
I played Baldur's Gate 2 before Baldur's Gate 1. BG2 is an absolutely amazing game. The story is better, the villain is great (played by the incredible David Warner, chewing every piece of scenery he can find), we see the first signs of Bioware's strength in NPC characterization, and the characters being higher level (BG1 goes to about 9th level, BG2 goes from about 9 into epic levels) means you have more power and more options. If you want to play BG1 - and I recommend that too - get the Enhanced Edition. My impression of the additional content is that it's only worth it if you didn't own the game already, but if you don't own the game it's a good version. It also has the advantage of porting all the BG1 content into an updated version of the BG2 engine, so not only is the interface easier to use, but your options are wider (for instance, in BG1 you couldn't play as a Monk or Sorcerer, now you can).

TL, DR: If you liked Dragon Age, definitely give Baldur's Gate a try.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I started playing it for the first time recently and, like most older RPGs, it's fucking hard. Fair warning there! Enjoyable at times, though.

EDIT: Do you need to play BG1 for the story or can you just go straight into BG2 without playing it?

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Dead Century said:
Can't speak for the original Baldur's Gate but Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance II are some of the best co-op games on the PS2.
The Dark Alliance games have absolutely nothing to do with the original Baldur's Gate besides having vaguely similar settings.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
No.

I know I'm probably a loner in this regard, but I can't stand Baldur's Gate. It has the same failure modes as D&D that I specifically hate: easy permadeath, shitty performance at low levels so you get killed a lot, and balls-expensive resurrection. You can perma-lose party members easily. On top of that, you have the bitchy problem that if your main character dies, so does everyone else, something I like to call the Persona 3 problem. (This is stupid as a mechanic, I don't care how well your story justifies it.) Also, the open world setup means it's easy to wander into places where your low level will get you instantly killed, so it's just adding insult to injury by offering a big world and then punishing you for going around it. Everyone has absurdly low HP when you start -- I mean single-digits HP -- and I never liked that about D&D.

Basically...if you don't like D&D mechanics, you will hate Baldur's Gate mechanics.