Baldur's Gate: Windows 7 compatable?

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I've been thinking about getting the 4-in-1 box set of Baldur's Gate from Amazon, but I do not know if these older games are compatible with Windows 7. Does anyone know?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Urm. Title says XP and post says Windows 7.

Anyhow I have that exact boxset (I'm guessing) and it works fine on XP.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Kimarous said:
I've been thinking about getting the 4-in-1 box set of Baldur's Gate from Amazon, but I do not know if these older games are compatible with Windows 7. Does anyone know?
Yes it works, I got the same box-set as you. It is compatable with Windows 7.

Btw I need to play it more. :(

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Korten12 said:
Kimarous said:
Yes it works, I got the same box-set as you. It is compatable with Windows 7.

Btw I need to play it more. :(
Awesome. Thanks for the information. :)

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Kimarous said:
Just wait until it's out from GoG, in about a day. It will be W7 compatible. As is, it has annoying graphics glitches.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
migo said:
Kimarous said:
Just wait until it's out from GoG, in about a day. It will be W7 compatible. As is, it has annoying graphics glitches.
Black boxes everywhere and botched particle effects? I managed to get rid of those by turning off DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations. I am on XP though, so it might require a different solution for W7. Wasn't such a big issue, I just had to remember to re-enable the stuff whenever I went to any other games.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
MaxPowers666 said:
Amnestic said:
migo said:
Kimarous said:
Black boxes everywhere and botched particle effects? I managed to get rid of those by turning off DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations. I am on XP though, so it might require a different solution for W7. Wasn't such a big issue, I just had to remember to re-enable the stuff whenever I went to any other games.
You can actually just go into the bg configuration and turn them off just for that game. Makes it alot easier since you never have to remember to re-enable that stuff.
Alternatively you could just use the amazing Tutu mod to port BG1 into BG2's much improved engine which has no trouble working on XP and supports higher resolutions along with a whole slew of other things.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Amnestic said:
migo said:
Kimarous said:
Not really sure.. this might be one of the handful of games that would merit a GLIDE API emulator.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Well, given one of the latest news pieces on this very site, just wait until its on GoG and buy it there. I don't know what they do, but they ensure every game you can buy there works on modern OS's.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The Madman said:
MaxPowers666 said:
Amnestic said:
migo said:
Kimarous said:
You can actually just go into the bg configuration and turn them off just for that game. Makes it alot easier since you never have to remember to re-enable that stuff.
Alternatively you could just use the amazing Tutu mod to port BG1 into BG2's much improved engine which has no trouble working on XP and supports higher resolutions along with a whole slew of other things.
I was using BGT which did the same thing, and I still got the black boxes until I turned the DD and D3D off so...yeah, *shrug*

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
MaxPowers666 said:
The Madman said:
MaxPowers666 said:
Amnestic said:
migo said:
Kimarous said:
You actually still have to do that with tutu. It also gives the annoying bug of turning water green which you need another addon to fix. Atleast in the version that I have it does which isnt that old.
I've never had that problem with tutu though I know what you mean with the green water glitch. Still, that's easily fixed by taking ten seconds to download and patch the game. Baldur's Gate 2 runs perfectly, it's only the older infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate 1, Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale which tend to have troubles on newer systems. BG2 however was optimized for DirectX, which is what's still used today.

Regardless, downloading BG1 tutu is pretty much mandatory in my mind anyway. Damned good mod.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
migo said:
Altorin said:
doesn't 7 have a really good compatibility manager?
It has a compatibility manager, I wouldn't call it really good.
I would. If I can make it run Worms 4 (finicky bugger program), Roller Coaster Tycoon (old) and Myst (really old) on it, it's good.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
If you have one of the versions of 7 that has XP Mode, you might want to use that, just to be safe.

Kaervas

Apr 15, 2010
I know I have a copy of baldur's gate + tales of the sword coast, and it tends to be very jerky gameplay wise, while Icewind Dale runs fine on my computer running windows 7, which I always found to be odd. Maybe thats just an issue on my end lol