Bands That People Wouldn't Expect You To Listen to

gjkdioepppp

Dec 7, 2008
What are some bands that people wouldn't expect you to listen to?
For me, people seeing me as a "METT-HULL" kind of guy, it would probably be something like The Police, or Robert Cray.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
People don't expect that I like anything from Lady Gaga to Bach.

It shocks them when they see my MP3 player.

Aug 26, 2009
I guess for me It would be bands like Tegan and Sara & Rilo Kiley. That's only odd because before those songs comes Between the Buried and Me, Baroness and Death.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Not particularly bands, since I can't really name that many, but in real life, most people I know probably wouldn't expect me to listen to J-pop. Except my sister, since she listens to it with me while driving.
As for online, people probably don't expect me to listen to, say, Manic Street Preachers, or... ummm...
Well... that's probably it.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Hopefully[footnote]They're not exactly the most heterosexually-aligned band, the name itself is a reference to lesbian sex after all[/footnote], people don't take me as the sort of guy to listen to Scissor Sisters. But Goddamnit, there's nothing like dancing round your room and screaming the lyrics in the highest voice you can muster.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
I have a pretty normal appearance. I don't really look like a certain group. Which is why when I tell people My Chemical Romance is one of my favorite bands they ask me why I don't have tons of piercings or wear makeup.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
People find it strange that I listen to anything buy METT-HULL, so when I break out the Jack Johnson, Mumford and Sons, Newton Faulkner, Snow Patrol etc etc Even when I break out a bit of DJ Tiesto :p

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Between genres like punk and metal, people I know never expect it when I break out Elvis Costello or Buddy Holly/Richie Valens. :D

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
My friends would probably be surprised if they found out that I listen to Florence and the Machine and Metric. Given that most of the bands I listen to are screamo or post-hardcore.

Aug 26, 2009
Actually, if there were bands people are surprised I listen to, they would be The Blood Brothers and The Fall of Troy. Mainly because I'm secretly a teenaged girl who likes to use her revolting pig scream constantly.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Mistrouser said:
What are some bands that people wouldn't expect you to listen to?
For me, people seeing me as a "METT-HULL" kind of guy, it would probably be something like The Police, or Robert Cray.
Would this topic not be better if it was "Bands That People Wouldn't Expect You to Listen to That You Do"?

Because at the moment you could just end up with a list of really improbable bands that nobody in their right minds would listen to, and that nobody actually does listen to.

I imagine most people will take it that way anyway, but that's not really what you've requested OP :)

So my answer to that would be, I don't think many people would expect me to listen to (or like) the works of George Michael. But I do, I really really do. :p

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Jesus Christ, How did you manage to QUADRUPLE post a topic?

stilghar82

Sep 18, 2010
For me it would be Prince, aside from my regular Nevermore, Bad Religion and things like that. He's a great musician and an artist. Nevermind the image. :p

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
People aren't surprised by anything I listen to anymore. Be it Homestuck, Mars Volta, Stereophonics, generic screamo bands or a bit of country and western. I just don't care what genre I listen to anymore.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
Looking at my ipod now, it goes from Iron Maiden, to the Jackson 5, to Killswitch Engage. From Men Without Hats, to Metallica, to Peter Gabriel. I like all sorts of music and I think that most of the people who know me know this. Hell, I'm listening to 5ive right now...

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
wrecker77 said:
I have a pretty normal appearance. I don't really look like a certain group. Which is why when I tell people My Chemical Romance is one of my favorite bands they ask me why I don't have tons of piercings or wear makeup.
Me too. I tell people I love that bad, and they just give me a look like "but your not emo!"

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
reverend peyton's big damn band
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLMjL7Fiw4w&feature=fvst
the guy can play his guitar 3 different ways at the same time and the drummer uses a bucket to replace a missing drum)

jimmy buffett
bob marly
AC/DC
and this song, but not the band: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sek8C5tB9JQ)

i like what ii hear
i don't just stick to a certain band or genre

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Everything I listen to, I don't exactly dress in a way which would suggest that I align myself with a particular genre of music. So...

Rave, lots of rave and techno. Usually followed by a big dose of David Bowie, and rounded off with some Judas Priest and maybe a touch of Vera Lynn.