Banned PETA Commercial

Stringytank

Oct 8, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xirw3zOMc8

Don't know if anyone had heard about this, and sorry if this has already been done.

This is an advertisement that PETA made that was supposed to air on Feb. 1st as a Super Bowl commercial. The commercial was banned by NBC for sexual content.
Any thoughts/opinions?

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
PETA are idiots, but I believe that naked chicks should be mandatory during prime time ad breaks and sporting events. The only thing more manly than drinking beer while watching large men beat the piss out of eachother is drinking beer while watching naked chicks.

ellimist337

Sep 30, 2008
Well, I can see why that isn't going to be run during the Superbowl, especially after the Janet Jackson fiasco a few years ago. If you've watched many of PETA's other commercials, many are the same (not exactly, but in that they are meant to be attention-grabbing in whatever way possible). What they need to figure out is that eating meat or wearing fur or whatever is a personal choice, and that forcing a view on anybody, or making commercials like this probably isn't the best way to advance their cause.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Well its an add that would be sure to appeal to the average Superbowl viewer thats for sure

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
If they really wanted me to give up meat, they should make plants that taste like steak. Whinging at me and holding stupid, misguided publicity stunts won't convert me. Bring on the bologna bush!

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Oh PETA, I just love how you take a strong moral stance against animal cruelty but have no problem objectifying women and making them sex object by parading around naked just to get your message out. It just helps reaffirm a long standing theory of mine that PETA doesn't care about people.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I don't know why it would need banned. It's stupid and a little gross, but I'm not offended.

And in general, I question the validity of the quoted studies. Even if the data was collected scientifically, does it matter? Should anyone care? I have a hard time imagining anyone saying "You know, I would've stopped eating steak ages ago if I knew it meant better quality bedroom time."

Unless this commercial is supposed to be ironic. But then what's the point to begin with?

And this new PETA tactic of blasting us with images of scantily clad women all the time doesn't make their point any more valid. I know they consider the use of animal products abuse. Fine. So they're going to objectify women to make that point, because they know otherwise the average American male doesn't care? That doesn't make anyone look good, and comes off as very cheap.

Don't get me wrong. Lingerie models are fine by me. But so are hamburgers. And the gratuitous use of one isn't going to convince me to suddenly abandon the other.

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
Never has an animal rights group done more to debase their cause than PETA...

What is the point of creating a commercial which has so many shock tactics that it is never shown? Yes, there are valid reasons to become vegetarian (or stop wearing fur, animal testing etc.), but I can't remember one occasion where they've mentioned them - everything is about shock, nothing is about impact or reasoning.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
I can just imagine all the hyped-up football fans, crowded around the TV and shoveling wings/ribs down their face, seeing that add. The only thing that PETA would have done would be to fill a million houses across the world with comments like, "Yeah, I've got some meat for her to eat all right, amIrightboys?!"

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Well this is more entertaining to watch then their usual boring picket protests.

And everyone knows fish eaters have better sex. All that omega 3 keeps the heart pumpin.

EDIT: I also wonder if they were trying to appeal to veggie fetishists.

telephonline92

Jun 19, 2008
It's better than the Sea Kittens affair. That's really all there is to it.

Also, I believe they're giving humor a shot here, which explains why the posts defending how meat tastes better in this topic seem... uncalled for.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
Oh PETA, I just love how you take a strong moral stance against animal cruelty but have no problem objectifying women and making them sex object by parading around naked just to get your message out. It just helps reaffirm a long standing theory of mine that PETA doesn't care about people.
Of crouse PETA don't care about people. Racisism, sexism, totalitarian governments, famine, drought, war, civil unrest, human sickness...meh, who cares, let's save the animals. There is a good episode of South Park about it actually.

I think the ad needed more "sea kittens"

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
peta is filled with fucking retards who will set the atmosphere on fire killing us all just to get attention.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
Ezekel said:
Studies show, meat tastes better than vegetables.
Haha. Yes. I believe it does.

Funnily enough, I got more turned on over their adverts of snapping chickens necks, and putting cows in blenders etc.

Hmm...