Barack Obama said something unflattering about video games.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Some of you people are complete fools. He's one hundred percent correct. For those of you wondering how being inundated with entertainment in all of its many forms is a danger to a democracy; keep in mind that it is the voting populace (The electorate.) that chooses its leaders. If a good chunk of the electorate is composed of slack-jawed morons, those said morons will have a direct impact on the quality of the leaders. There was a study which I need to go dig up that found that 70% of the electorate in the U.S. basically had no clue what was going on, and made voting decisions on a whim rather than by deliberating on a given issue. I think this thread just goes to show us all that a politician should never tell the truth because they will only be rewarded with hate.

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
cousinletsgobowling said:
LordNue said:
I Never understood why people thought he was some sort of messiah. He's a politician. I just hoped he'd win because frankly the other option was terrifying and would probably have us all dead or enslaved somehow.
I'm not racist but the main reason he was voted is because he is african-american,hell it's the reason i wanted him to win.but i live in the uk so it dm :L
Personally, I think that people would have voted for Obama anyway. After Bush, most people wouldn't dare vote for another republican. The black thing didn't hurt, though.

OT: Is there anything not true about what he said? I can't tell you how many times I've not done my homework so that I an do something on the internet. He wasn't saying "Video games are ruining the country" he said "Get your kid off the god damned XBox and make him do his homework"

bilkobob

May 26, 2009
SimuLord said:
spinFX said:
SimuLord said:
I voted for him as lesser of two evils (contrast Sarah Palin being a heartbeat away from the Presidency).

Not gonna make that mistake again. I'll either vote Republican or stay home in 2012.
Please don't :( Just look at the way Republicans are voting on financial reform. They have sold out to the lobbyists 100%. Look at how they voted on the "anti-rape" bill. Look at how they lie about financial reform being another bailout bill for the banks (in fact the banks would pay into a fund to bail themselves out). Look at how they lied that the public option would have increased debt instead of reducing it.

Really you have no one good to vote for, but unfortunately Obama/Democrats are still the lesser of 2 evils.

You should see how shit for choice we are in Australia. I can choose between a 50% rightwing position or a 45% rightwing position.

YAY FOR DEMOCRACY!
If the Republicans put up a Tea Party-type candidate, I'll just stay home. I have the right to vote. I also have the right NOT to vote if my only choices are between a shit sandwich and a kick in the head.

We have no viable third party choice in America, and the two parties we do have are just as bad as the one-party states elsewhere in the world. They strangle out and choke off real change and improvement in the name of letting the people "choose" how they will be exploited and treated like lambs to the slaughter.

Personally, I favor turning Washington, DC into a smoking, radioactive crater and starting over. I've been to DC. I like the place better in Fallout 3. Super Mutants would be preferable to politicians.
Simulord, what the heck is that on your shoulder in the avatar? Is that a ferret?

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Okay, I can kind of see where he's coming from.

But really, are the video games of today that bad? I mean, look at movies and books. They're the same thing, just different forms. In fact, I would argue that video games are BETTER for you, because they require interaction and thought. And yet, here we go again. This just adds further proof to my theory. The adults of this world don't like it, so they damn well are going to find a moral or scientific way to prove themselves right.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
really if the man wants to try and keep our kids from being fat assed shut in's then i have no problem with that.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Warvamp said:

But really, are the video games of today that bad? I mean, look at movies and books. They're the same thing, just different forms. In fact, I would argue that video games are BETTER for you, because they require interaction and thought. And yet, here we go again. This just adds further proof to my theory. The adults of this world don't like it, so they damn well are going to find a moral or scientific way to prove themselves right.
He's actually talking about all entertainment in general he's not singling out videogames in his remarks.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
LordNue said:
I Never understood why people thought he was some sort of messiah. He's a politician. I just hoped he'd win because frankly the other option was terrifying and would probably have us all dead or enslaved somehow.
Eh I didn't see a difference in the 2.

Honestly I don't think this means to much, you probably had politician yelling that TV was going to ruin the country, what they should just say is that anything that isn't a non-fiction book is a waste of time, because as far as i am concerned weather it be TV/games/fiction, it's all entertainment.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
shadow skill said:
Warvamp said:

He's actually talking about all entertainment in general he's not singling out videogames in his remarks.
Yes, I understand that. I was the one singling out videogames, because I don't care about the other stuff he mentioned. My theory is still applicable. I don't see why one can't indulge in entertainment AND be an accomplished American. My dad plays computer games from 8pm to midnight, and he's forking in enough money to keep my lifestlye going.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
bilkobob said:
Simulord, what the heck is that on your shoulder in the avatar? Is that a ferret?
That right there is Buster, the greatest pet rat who ever lived.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I've said some unflattering things about him, so it all evens out.

Also:

"Obama, the United States' first African-American president, said black students face more difficult headwinds than others and are typically outperformed by their white classmates."

I'd like to take the time and say "no shit, really?" I really love how journalists always assume the reader has been under a rock for their entire life.

bilkobob

May 26, 2009
SimuLord said:
bilkobob said:
Ah... couldn't make it out at first, my monitor was tilted and the lighting is poor. Little guy had me stumped. Just remember, those things carried the plague. See, next time you go vote, take him with you and have him cast the ballot, er punch the button. That way you'll have a rat voting for a rat.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
bilkobob said:
SimuLord said:
bilkobob said:
Ah... couldn't make it out at first, my monitor was tilted and the lighting is poor. Little guy had me stumped. Just remember, those things carried the plague. See, next time you go vote, take him with you and have him cast the ballot, er punch the button. That way you'll have a rat voting for a rat.
Sadly, he passed away in 2008. Only thing I don't like about rats as pets is that they're so short-lived (2-3 yrs on average).

As for the plague, that was the Black Rat (Rattus rattus), not the Brown Rat (R. norvegicus) that carried the plague throughout Europe. Pet rats are domesticated versions of the wild Brown Rat. You've got a better chance of catching the plague from a California Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus beecheyi) than from a sewer rat.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
This amuses me more because when he was campaigning he was behind the gamers and even got some vote for Obama things into one or 2 sport games I think one was a NBA game.

then he is like this when he gets in xD

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Mortons4ck said:
Sewblon said:
I basically agree with you, but Mr.Obama owns a Nintendo Wii which he has admitted to playing and enjoying, so he is being a little hypocritical.
True, but he's the gorram President. If you think about it, what does he have left to accomplish?
Two wars to end, and one economic collapse to deal with. Solving any of those problems would be a pretty big accomplishment.

CasioCoal

Feb 7, 2010
Study like hell to get into university. Study like hell whilst working in a labor intensive job to get through university. Apply, apply, apply to get a job. Work, work, work so that the rich can reap the benefits whilst screwing the economy for the working class. Retire, die a year later. No distractions!

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Well, if he's trying to stay young people should put their education before video games, I have to agree. But I don't see how listening to music on your iPod is a harmful distraction. Many a paper I would not have been able to write without Pendulum blasting in the background. Of course, he's the president, so he has better things to do with his time than listen to an iPod or play games, but he's obviously quite ignorant on the subject of entertainment electronics in general.

I'm of the opinion that no one should form an opinion on something without having experienced it themselves--watching another person's experience doesn't count.