Bargain bin games you found by chance and love

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
josemlopes said:
Yeah... I had pretty much the same experience as you with 7.62 High Calibre. The game pretty much needs to be heavily modded to be even remotely playable, and even then it's only remotely playable at best. I played 7.62 High Calibre and Brigade E5: New Jagged Union back before they were offered on Steam, and frankly I don't think either of them are really worth the money.

If I want my squad-based tactical gameplay fix, I'll stick with the Jagged Alliance series, the Commandos series, the XCOM series (I loved the hell out of the latest one, Enemy Unknown, and its expansion), and even Fallout: Tactics.

If you haven't tried out Fallout: Tactics, that might be worth giving a shot. I've always felt that it's pretty underrated. Also, you have the option of playing it as either turn-based or real-time, which is a nice touch.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I got Theme Hospital, Simcity 2000 deluxe and SimCopter in a package of 10 games from a scholastic catalog back when those were still a thing. I also got Roller Coaster Tycoon and it's two expansions from a cereal box.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Earth Defense Force 2017. God, this was years ago. I know because I got it from a freaking Blockbuster. I had never heard of the series before, so I just kind of assumed that it was some trashy indie game. But it was only like, ten bucks, so I gave it a shot. And by the gods, I sunk so many hours into that game with my brother. We stopped just short of tackling Inferno mode, because fuck that.

Sep 24, 2008
Quazimofo said:
"What's this 'Dawn of War' game? It looks kinda like something I saw in an x-play review I saw once that sounded interesting, so why not?" (this was on steam by the way, as circuit city was my primary source for pc games and this was post-bankruptcy).

*5 years pass*

Ethereals be praised, a new edition of 40k which shall allow a fully-mechanized list without ForgeWorld product!

So yeah, that game indirectly started me on the path to all of my current hobbies, save videogames. Not to mention the hundreds of hours I've poured into it and the expansions/sequel/sequel's expansions.

Basically, I really fucking love Dawn of War.
I was in Montreal in 2006. Studying. If no one told you, Montreal has two seasons. Winter and August. So you must do what you can to pass the time. Luckily, being a geek, I had no use for this 'outside'. All I needed were my games.

In EB games in Eaton Centre, I saw this weird looking robot skeleton. And the weirdest title for a game I ever saw. I mean, it was so long, I couldn't help but say it out loud.

Warhammer 40k. Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

Seriously? I mean, seriously? Talk about a boisterous name. But it was an RTS, and I'm a lifelong fan of those. So yeah, why not. It was on the cheap (for me anyway, back when the American dollar was strong). So I put the money down.

That single act has made me a fan of Warhammer 40k for years. I play Dow II elite mod because I can't get enough with it. So I understand where you're coming from, Quazimofo

However.

"Ethereals be Praised"? You Bluie. Have you no sense of the majesty of the Emperor?

(real talk, Tau are my other race I play with, but it's been so loud since they weren't added to the sequel and it looks like we're never going to get a third editions)

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
Deus. Ex.

11 yr old me asks my dad if I can buy the shooter game for 4.99. Cue one of the best games I've ever played. Could not be happier with how I came across it.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
Quazimofo said:
"What's this 'Dawn of War' game? It looks kinda like something I saw in an x-play review I saw once that sounded interesting, so why not?" (this was on steam by the way, as circuit city was my primary source for pc games and this was post-bankruptcy).

*5 years pass*

Ethereals be praised, a new edition of 40k which shall allow a fully-mechanized list without ForgeWorld product!

So yeah, that game indirectly started me on the path to all of my current hobbies, save videogames. Not to mention the hundreds of hours I've poured into it and the expansions/sequel/sequel's expansions.

Basically, I really fucking love Dawn of War.
I was in Montreal in 2006. Studying. If no one told you, Montreal has two seasons. Winter and August. So you must do what you can to pass the time. Luckily, being a geek, I had no use for this 'outside'. All I needed were my games.

In EB games in Eaton Centre, I saw this weird looking robot skeleton. And the weirdest title for a game I ever saw. I mean, it was so long, I couldn't help but say it out loud.

Warhammer 40k. Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

Seriously? I mean, seriously? Talk about a boisterous name. But it was an RTS, and I'm a lifelong fan of those. So yeah, why not. It was on the cheap (for me anyway, back when the American dollar was strong). So I put the money down.

That single act has made me a fan of Warhammer 40k for years. I play Dow II elite mod because I can't get enough with it. So I understand where you're coming from, Quazimofo

However.

"Ethereals be Praised"? You Bluie. Have you no sense of the majesty of the Emperor?

(real talk, Tau are my other race I play with, but it's been so loud since they weren't added to the sequel and it looks like we're never going to get a third editions)
Yeah, real shame the Dawn of War games seem to have come to a halt. I'd kill for another entry in the series.

On the upside, tabletop games are fun as hell! Shame that the Tau are almost OP in this codex though, makes me feel like an ass even though I persevered through their 4th edition codex.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Ronin Blade on the PS1 for me, also known as Soul of the Samurai. Found it for a fiver in my local GAME store.

It's a survival horror/action game developed by Konami where you play as either a ronin or ninja in a feudal Japan setting killing enemies and monsters and whatnot. Had a neat little thing where clearing the game as one character, loading the completed save file and then playing as the other character would enable you to beat the true final boss. That kind of thing blew my mind when I was a kid.

Going by the lack of views on the youtube videos it's obscure as fuck which is a shame because it was an incredibly fun game. Also:

Dat soundtrack son!!!

StormDragonZ

Dec 6, 2013
Max Payne & Max Payne 2 for the PS2 for $6. One of those days I needed to use up a gift card and I ended up still having some money left on the card.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
My folks love to go bargain hunting, and I've found some good (and not so good) games because of it. I'll stick to the winners:

Robot Alchemic Drive (AKA RAD) for PS2, a game inspired by old kaiju movies and TV shows. If you can get over the painful Engrish voice acting (they're deliberately bad, a joke that quickly gets old) and slow pace, a good game is buried away in here. I've been wondering if Yahtzee has played this one, as the control scheme in his Duke Nukem Forever review (the fake one, here) comes strikingly close to the actual controls for RAD.

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator for PC, gameplay wise it's like a poor man's Chrono Trigger, story and character wise it shows some great world building and even some self awareness.

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division for PC, it's like a Titanfall prototype made in 1998. I'm still a bit sore that Monolith made a head nod to this game in F.E.A.R., but has yet to make a sequel or remake.

Descent for PC, you can count on your fingers how many games truely fall into the six degrees of freedom (6DoF) genre, this is of the first and best. The whole genre needs a comeback, with stereoscopy and motion controls (or at least better controllers) making them more accessible.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Pandemonium for PlayStation, I recall paying about $6 or $8 for it. Thought it would be a neat way to waste a few dollars since I was bored. Those bonus stages made my toes curl, and a friend of mine swore she was going to barf the first time she'd seen one. Fun game, totally worth the scratch.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
-Ezio- said:
.Hack//Infection

bought it on a whim coz the cover looked cool. then it took me a year to track down the other 3 (i had no internet at the time).
Isn't that the .Hack that has the nickname: .Hack//Incest ?

OT: In the late PS2 era I found a game at my local Wal-Mart called Cold Winter for like $20. I bought it as a laugh thinking it was going to suck, but it turns out that it was actually really good. You play as a secret agent trying to stop some nukes, and from that basic setup it has a good story, nothing revolutionary, but still good and some surprisingly good gameplay. Hell it's better than most FPS's that come out today.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Survival the ultimate challenge.

an older game from the 2000's but one of the best survivalism and shipwreked style games ever made

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Singularity which I bought for £3 and am playing atm. Wow talk about under the radar, with how much ppl worship HL2 I'd thought it would be brought up more in discussion. Activision must have sent out the game to die in 2010 as it passed me by at the time.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Last time I got a game from a bargain bin was when I was about 9 years old.
This was the game:
I spent many hours trying to figure out what the hell am I supposed to do(still learning english at that point), and only ever completed ONE mission.

Fun times were had.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Its not really an "unexpected hit" per se, but I found a fallout 3 GOTY in a bargain bin a couple years back for like 3 bucks.

Got my money's worth out of that one.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
anthony87 said:
Ronin Blade on the PS1 for me, also known as Soul of the Samurai. Found it for a fiver in my local GAME store.

It's a survival horror/action game developed by Konami where you play as either a ronin or ninja in a feudal Japan setting killing enemies and monsters and whatnot. Had a neat little thing where clearing the game as one character, loading the completed save file and then playing as the other character would enable you to beat the true final boss. That kind of thing blew my mind when I was a kid.

Going by the lack of views on the youtube videos it's obscure as fuck which is a shame because it was an incredibly fun game. Also:

Dat soundtrack son!!!
Holy cow, dat soundtrack. I'd never heard of this game before but am now interested :)

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Ring of Red, a very simple game not a whole lot of advanced option in it but I sill find myself playing it every few years picked up for $10.