Barnes & Noble Yanks DC Comics From Stores

Stacey G.

Oct 9, 2011
So, when is B&N going to pull all the Harry Potter books from their shelves, since Rowling will be distibuting the ebooks exclusively on her new website and therefore not offering the digital distribution to B&N? Oh, yeah, they're NOT pulling those. Which means this is not a matter of principle, it's just anti-Amazon, and I hope it bites B&N in the butt.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
This looks pretty clear cut to me. B&N has been a retailer for DC for years, and here DC comes along and very publicly urinates all over that agreement by giving another retailer exclusive digital rights, even if it's for a limited time.

Unfortunately for B&N, they're not in the best of all bargaining positions, and it's likely that DC knows that. So B&N is fighting back against the Amazon behemoth in the only way it can, even if it's quite likely that by removing DC comics from their shelves they will be giving Amazon even more business.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I suspect Barnes is going to go the way of Borders in the not too distant future. And they deserve it, after destroying the mom and pop niche bookstores.

So, good luck with your nook.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
okay...I really like Barnes and Noble (not so much DC comics usually) but man...that's totally the business plan to not go the way of Borders

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
sooo to make all books available to everybody you pull comic books from the stands?
LOGIC!

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
This is pretty much all meaningless to me besides that fact that another large book seller is hurting it's own flagging sales and finding a actual book seller is a pain in the ass.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I don't give a shit about their spat.
What's annoying me is that we're going to have to start dealing with this exclusivity crap with books now? It's bad enough with video games and all the different formats for that, now we have to worry about that for books?

I'm really not looking forward to the day when you can only watch Sony Pictures dvds on Sony dvd players.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
I don't give a shit about their spat.
What's annoying me is that we're going to have to start dealing with this exclusivity crap with books now? It's bad enough with video games and all the different formats for that, now we have to worry about that for books?

I'm really not looking forward to the day when you can only watch Sony Pictures dvds on Sony dvd players.
Exclusivity isn't really new to electronic books. Whether this will spill out into anything other than one spat over comics is yet to be seen, though.

Could you imagine BnN really refusing to stock the next Da Vinci Code or similar blockbuster if Amazon got an exclusive? It's dumb enough with comics; I can't imagine it translating here.

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
Damn it. I don't have (nor am I likely to get) an e-book reader, and Barnes & Noble is the only bookstore with comic books/graphic novels in my college town.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Okay, I can understand being upset by an exclusive digital deal.

What I don't understand is why you would pull the physical copies, seeing as the customers who would buy those wouldn't care about the digital distribution.

So, they weren't going to get digital sales revenue, and now they won't get physical sales revenue, aside from online.

I'm not entirely sure how that improved their situation, or made any sort of point with DC since customers will just go to other stores or order it online anyway. If the customers do go online, would they be more or less inclined to buy from Amazon?

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
If you're still going to sell them on your site, what's the point of taking them off the shelves? And really, aren't you limiting what you can sell even more by this little stunt?

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Lemme get this straight--they have a policy of refusing to make money on things unless they're ALSO allowed to make money on them in a completely different way?

Isn't this like a barber refusing to cut your hair if you won't let him also cut your dog's hair? It's only a 4 month exclusivity deal. B&N should say "this policy could bite us in the ass! How about if we declare that being able to sell the comics for the Nook in 4 months is dandy and we'll rake in every penny we can in the meanwhile!"

I mean, it's one thing for corporations to attempt to strongarm each other, but B&N is strongarming ITSELF. How daft do you have to be?

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
DJDarque said:
While the decision is questionable, the reasoning behind it makes a lot of sense. At least to me.

I'm not affected either way.
It doesn't bother me either, but that's because DC decided that my comics weren't good enough for a reboot. They managed to cancel my pull. If they had remade the comics I was reading, I would still be a DC customer.
You really should read the new Animal Man though. One of the best comics I've read in... ever.