Bart Simpson Shills For Scientology

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Susan Arendt said:
Here's what I'm wondering...is she even allowed to use the voice for anything not Simpsons-approved? I seem to recall her being interviewed on some show, and they asked her to do the voice, and she said she couldn't "be Bart" unless it was official Simpsons stuff. They, for all intents and purposes, own the voice, name, and character. Could be wrong about that, but I could've sworn that was the case.
I remember the same thing, actually. I don't remember what it actually was, but I do recall watching it specifically because I wanted to see this woman do the Bart voice - seeing is believing, I guess - and being very disappointed when she said she was contractually forbidden from performing it outside "official" Simpsons events.

Maybe a more recent contract negotiation gave the actors greater leeway over what they can do with the voices? Maybe Cartwright feels that as a central character of a cultural phenomenon she's immune to any real repercussions? Maybe she's so wrapped up in Scientology mumbo-jumbo that she just doesn't care? Let's fact it, this is a woman who said - with a straight face, no less - that she's "auditing on a new OT Level Seven." She's out there.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
theultimateend said:
The voice of bart is owned by the simpsons people. She'll likely get punched in the butthole because of it.

on a sidenote...I'm torn.

I love your avatar...but you just made a point that its ever OK to cancel futurama (in effect).

:(((((((((((((

I am left in this wierd half hate/half love situation that is causing my mind to swallow itself an infinite amount of times.
Well, here's what I'm confused about. Family Guy went off the air, but was then brought back as a direct result of interest from the public. Jericho was doomed for cancellation but kept on air for similar reasons. Surely it's been established that Futurama has an audience, so why hasn't it returned?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
theultimateend said:
The voice of bart is owned by the simpsons people. She'll likely get punched in the butthole because of it.

on a sidenote...I'm torn.

I love your avatar...but you just made a point that its ever OK to cancel futurama (in effect).

:(((((((((((((

I am left in this wierd half hate/half love situation that is causing my mind to swallow itself an infinite amount of times.
Well, here's what I'm confused about. Family Guy went off the air, but was then brought back as a direct result of interest from the public. Jericho was doomed for cancellation but kept on air for similar reasons. Surely it's been established that Futurama has an audience, so why hasn't it returned?
I honestly don't know.

I mean I know why firefly NOW won't come back, the actors and stuff have all moved on. But FFS Futurama is animated by a group of people who already are working together.

It's like Fox actively tries to kill good things. If it isn't hope in America its the best animated Series I've ever seen on television.

I don't know WHY I love it so much but it just seems to be so gosh darn well done. The jokes don't seem to get old, the characters each have interesting back stories, character flaws, and unique voices. Plus everytime you think you have the show pegged it ends up throwing something fresh at you.

For instance A scene I didn't catch the first million times I watched the show when fry first meets bender.

Bender's arms both fall off and are on the ground, he can no longer control them, a commercial break hits, when you return he's putting one arm on and then with that arm he puts the other one on to which fry responds quickly "I don't know how you did that!" But its so quick it is easily missed.

I love stuff like that. The show has so many hidden gems in every season.

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
The day i found out Bart was played by a woman was a day i died just a bit inside...
and now to find out about her and Scientology...

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
The irony here is that scientology would be one of the things that Bart would mock, and try to exploit.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Wasn't that poking at how incredibly insensitive Catholics are?

And I thought Satanism was the worship of human desire - the sense of pleasure seeking above all else. Because why would anyone be stupid enough to worship Satan? What possible good can come from that? Really, what can you be expecting to happen?
I suppose it could be seen as mocking Catholic's instead heh.

That's pretty much it, although some people use "Devil worship" as an excuse for violence, think of the KKK except against Christian's rather than black people. There have been cases of Churches being burned down in some eastern European countries by so-called "Satanists".

ElTigreNegro said:
The irony here is that scientology would be one of the things that Bart would mock, and try to exploit.
Heh heh, yeah.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
MaxTheReaper said:
theultimateend said:
Abedeus said:
I think it will be better if we just whacked her where she stands.

Someone else will do voice for Bart.

My respect for her = -100.

Sort of like when they got rid of Firefly to use its budget for Joe Millionare.
What. Are you fucking serious? Because I will kill again. If someone does not inform me that this is a terrible joke, I will begin a rampage of death the likes of which has never been seen before.
EDIT:
Indigo_Dingo said:
And I thought Satanism was the worship of human desire - the sense of pleasure seeking above all else. Because why would anyone be stupid enough to worship Satan? What possible good can come from that? Really, what can you be expecting to happen?
Yeah, pretty much, I think. They're also against causing harm, if I recall correctly. They mainly just use Satan as a symbol, but don't believe in him or god.
EDIT2: Yeah, from the Wikipedia page:

"There are two primary forms of Satanism; Theistic Satanism and Atheistic Satanism. Theistic Satanists venerate Satan as a supernatural deity, whom some consider to be entirely benevolent. In contrast, Atheistic Satanists are atheists and regard Satan as merely symbolic of certain human traits.

It is often the practice of Satanists not to specify which type of Satanism they adhere to. Each "type" of Satanist will usually refer to themselves only as a "Satanist"."
I am being entirely honest when I say that Firefly was canceled because of Joe Millionare.

Ok to be FAIR it was because they fucked up the presentation of the show + Joe Millionare, but the money and resources they took from it (I assume the latter meant people behind the scenes?) were transfered to the production of that reality show. At the very least I remember reading a full column on it from an enraged news writer in the seattle times (I think it was seattle times...might have even been new york. We get them both at my university so I mix them up a lot).

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
well for family guy they also cancelled MANY shows (29 to be exact) and it was doing great on dvd, so is futurama HOWEVER fox doesn't like Matt Groening too much. the clip of him being an grumpy alcoholic who tosses a bottle at the camera and tells ppl to get out of his office, has some truth to it. he was famous for telling the fox ppl to gtfo out of his office till it was done and don't try to mess with his show

as for jericho they totally buried that show, cbs really pulled a fox and moved it around and didn't air it, so they doomed it to fail, even the "second" season was cut down from what it was supposed to be

both of them still bug me

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
They endorse Buddhism pretty strongly. But then Buddhism is legitimate and respectable.
Indeed, but a Catholic character does say something along the lines of "we all like to have imaginary friends" so they still poke gently at the religion just like they do all others.

Abedeus said:
Frankly, I wouldn't shake hands with a scientologist. I might as well date a Satanist.
Satanism isn't really about devil worship, you get that right?

Basically if you are "sinful" (seven deadly sins here) you are a Satanist in essence: So if you have more clothes than you need, eat more than you should, take pride in your appearance, envy others, are ever lazy etc. etc. then you could be considered one based on what it is actually about.

Just felt I should point that out, seeing as the wording of the quoted post suggests to me he thinks they sacrifice virgin's and have sex with goat's or something else that's horribly cliché.
Sorry, but thats the preppy new age definition. If you are a Satanist, you worship Satan. It's in the name. Like Christians worship Christ.

If you don't want to be called Satanists and considered devil worshipers, make up a catchy new name- like scientology. Seriously, don't call yourself a "satanist" if you don't friggin worship Satan. Pick a new name.

soren7550 said:
Bofus Teefus said:
Too bad Bart's a main character. Otherwise, they could deal with her the way South Park dealt with the nameless gentleman formerly known as the voice of Chef. Those were a couple of my favorite episodes.
Actually, they had to do that because Issac Hayes left the show. They did that to Chef because they felt betrayed by him.
Isaac Hayes left over a show where they spoofed Scientology (note that Southpark had lampooned Judaism, Catholicism, adn the Mormons), because Isaac Hayes was a scientologist. About a year after the show he pitches some sort of mystery ***** fit and goes, possibly because Lord Cruise told him to. So the creators, who own chef, used previously recorded voice work and the creator to run an episode where Chef is brainwashed by a group of Child Molesters known as the Super Adventure Club, which was a spoof of Scientology (the 'montague' explaining the Super Adventure Club's philosophy featured the tagline "this is actually what the Super Adventure Club Believes" at the bottom of the screen, mirroring the montague in the Scientology episode where it was explained to Kyle what the Scientologists believe "This is actually what the Scientologists believe"). They then killed Chef off but left it open for him to come back via Darth Chef if Isaac ever came to his senses. Isaac Hayes unfortunatly died a year or two later. It was a shame because Chef/Isaac was always a big part of the show from the start and the show pretty much relaunched Isaac Hayes dead career.

ON TOPIC!

She'll probably get her wrist slaps for being too eager to please her galactic overlords (wait, do Scientologists worship Lord Xenu or is he like the Devil? And is he ever coming back?). It's not like they can fire her, she's Bart Simpson and like a million other voices on the show (it's all done by like 4 people). At best Fox can fit her with a gag over this. If the Scientologists are smart they'll pull the add- who the hell uses robocalls in the age of spam anymore anyway?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
How the fuck can someone believe that shit I mean I'm catholic but I'm pretty sure me and all the Athiests in the world can agree Jesus would make a little more sense than evil lord Zeinu and If not no god or creator makes more sense than that.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
How the fuck can someone believe that shit I mean I'm catholic but I'm pretty sure me and all the Athiests in the world can agree Jesus would make a little more sense than evil lord Zeinu and If not no god or creator makes more sense than that.
A real athiest by definition would tell you all religeon is stupid and limits humanity in it's actions and thoughts. So no, it would all be the same to them.

Funny you should say that though, South Park pretty much said the same thing.

"Is what we believe anymore 'crazy' then thinking Jesus came back from the dead, or Budda sat under a tree for a thousand years!?"

"Yeah dude, it is way more crazy"

Ahh the Super Adventure Club.

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
Maybe she's so wrapped up in Scientology mumbo-jumbo that she just doesn't care? Let's fact it, this is a woman who said - with a straight face, no less - that she's "auditing on a new OT Level Seven." She's out there.
Speaking of OT Level Seven...for $10 million I'd want to have Flight, Teleportation and Invisibility, not just the ability to "easily place an intention into or on a Being and/or a body.". I can do that with a blue shell.