Baseball Is Back!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Baseball is back for the next eight months and thank God for that because baseball is awesome. Anyone else been watching the games? If you have who are your favorite teams and the favorite player(s) on said team?

Detroit Tigers are my favorite and Kinsler, Cabrera, Verlander and J.D. Martinez are my favorite players on the team.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I've been watching the basketball, specifically the Warriors.
That man Steph curry is a wizard!

I guess I should support the Red Sox as the owners also own my football team Liverpool. Lots of 49'rs fans round here though so I shall keep that quiet.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Baseball? Is that the sport where close, intimate control of the ball is integral to success, or the one where you slam it away from you with a metal stick to the best of your abilities?

I get these things mixed up.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Sports? Escapist members acknowledge sports? You know, the ones that aren't "e-sports".

Well, colour me retarded. I am still allowed to say "colour" and "retarded"?

I am messing. It's great. I enjoy a sport that damages the planet. Well, 50% damage. Hybrid engines are a good thing. Unless it has diesel, then we are back to 100% damage.

Dec 10, 2012
Bat Vader said:
Baseball is back for the next eight months and thank God for that because baseball is awesome. Anyone else been watching the games? If you have who are your favorite teams and the favorite player(s) on said team?

Detroit Tigers are my favorite and Kinsler, Cabrera, Verlander and J.D. Martinez are my favorite players on the team.
I'm a lifelong Tigers fan myself. It's a pretty good time to be one, despite the last couple years. I still remember the 90s Tigers, and now getting to see players like Cabrera and Verlander and the two Martinezes...Martinez'z...Martin-i?...is awesome. I really think J.D. Martinez is our next true superstar, he is fun to watch.

Still not sure the team has much of a chance to knock the Royals off the top of the division, but it should be a great season up ahead!

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Hard to follow baseball around here. I'm nowhere near Detroit, so I rarely can watch my favorite team (Detroit Tigers), but I have been following them a little. Seems like they're doing really well so far. Also, the most local teams are the Rays and Marlins, and they generate less excitement in baseball than the Little League.

Besides, who can follow baseball with the Stanley Cup playoffs going? I'm not expecting Chicago to win a second cup in a row (though that would be awesome!). Winning two in a row hasn't happened in almost 20 years, and I'm not sure we can make it past Dallas. (I'm not too worried about St. Louis right now.) Still, I love hockey and am sure I'll get entertainment even if Chicago gets knocked out.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm sad that I as a European have no idea how/where to watch baseball properly. It's a cool sport, the bits I've seen were really fun. Same goes for American Football for that matter. We don't get enough US sports out here.
MysticSlayer said:
Still, I love hockey and am sure I'll get entertainment even if Chicago gets knocked out.
I'd really like hockey if I could actually see the damn puck properly.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Wait. People under 65 watch baseball? Hahaha, nope. I refuse to believe it.
Cowabungaa said:
I'm sad that I as a European have no idea how/where to watch baseball properly. It's a cool sport, the bits I've seen were really fun. Same goes for American Football for that matter. We don't get enough US sports out here.
MysticSlayer said:
Still, I love hockey and am sure I'll get entertainment even if Chicago gets knocked out.
The easiest way to learn to watch the puck on tv is to watch where the players are looking.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
MysticSlayer said:
I think you need to get your eyes checked...

More seriously, I understand. Personally, I don't have an issue, but I have a couple friends who constantly lose track of the puck. There was even an attempt a while ago [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax] to make viewing hockey more accessible by highlighting it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I stopped watching baseball after the strike in the 90s. And basketball after Jordan retired the 2nd time. The class seems to have leaked out of most pro sports these days.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I stopped watching baseball after the strike in the 90s. And basketball after Jordan retired the 2nd time. The class seems to have leaked out of most pro sports these days.
While there will always be some people who celebrate "too much," being grandiose and braggadocios has always existed. Just look at the early 90s Pistons or the Big Red Machine. Baseball has the nuisance that is Bryce Harper but it also has Mike Trout. And besides, with more showboats its easier to set up narratives of heroes and villians =D

OT: Right now I'm absorbed in NHL playoffs, but come summer, its baseball's time to shine! Go Angels

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
I'm sad that I as a European have no idea how/where to watch baseball properly.
Well, how drunk are you when you try to watch it now? May need to dial it up a smidge.

I am, of course, joking, Baseball fans.

Kind of.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I am a Dodgers Fan. Watching the young guys and new acquisition has been fun (although Scott Kazmir's performance has been lacking). This season's Vin Scully's last season of his 66 year career as the announcer and my goodness I will miss him.

WIN4VIN!

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Dimitriov said:
Wait. People under 65 watch baseball? Hahaha, nope. I refuse to believe it.
Define "watch". It's my understanding that people don't so much go to see a game played as they do to get drunk in a large public place at great personal expense, and that's an activity that knows no age boundaries after the initial 21 years.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Baseball is like all sports (Except for Communist Kickball which only happens once every 4 years and is international) in that if New York doesn't make it the finals get cancelled, and the nation hangs its head in shame.
While I hate watching baseball, I have found I enjoy following baseball without watching actual games.

Landwalker

May 21, 2012
Ihateregistering1 said:
I am, tragically, an Atlanta Braves fan. It's going to be a long season...
I'll have you know I dug up my old forum registration information specifically so I could quote this post and, as an expatriate Georgian and erstwhile Braves fan now living in New England, convey my deepest sympathies that you share my plight.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Came back because I mentioned my favorite team (Dodgers) but didn't mention my favorite players before heading out.

Clayton Kershaw certainly goes without a need for mention.

Enrique Hernandez certainly has been a fan favorite. I certainly love him the most when he's facing Madison Bumgarner.

New import Kenta Maeda has been really fun to watch. For a pitcher he's certainly a good hitter and a very good fielder. His off-speed pitches are pretty amazing as well.

And then there's Ross Stripling, the guy who has been heldback 2 years due to tommy john surgery to come back and pitch a no-hitter throughout 7 innings on his major league debut. That's pretty awe-inspiring right there. I couldn't be more happy for the guy.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy as a Dodgers fan. 5 years ago I didn't think I'd still be a Dodgers fan after suffering so much through the ownership of Frank McCourt.

MeatMachine said:
Baseball? Is that the sport where close, intimate control of the ball is integral to success, or the one where you slam it away from you with a metal stick to the best of your abilities?

I get these things mixed up.
Yes.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
TheVampwizimp said:
Bat Vader said:

I'm a lifelong Tigers fan myself. It's a pretty good time to be one, despite the last couple years. I still remember the 90s Tigers, and now getting to see players like Cabrera and Verlander and the two Martinezes...Martinez'z...Martin-i?...is awesome. I really think J.D. Martinez is our next true superstar, he is fun to watch.

Still not sure the team has much of a chance to knock the Royals off the top of the division, but it should be a great season up ahead!
The Royals have a great team. If the Tigers are smart they will keep J.D. as a franchise player. The moves they made in the offseason were nice. Zimmermann is a great pitcher and Upton is a good hitter even if he is struggling at the moment. The bullpen is doing pretty good too thankfully.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I don't understand baseball. It's one of the few games I know where they literally spit the dummy when one team runs away with the score. Boxing is another, but you can console yourself with the fact that the loser is suffering for their ineptitude.

In a game that celebrates the number of home runs hit, batting averages, bases stolen.... the idea of calling a game early seems to work against that. You'd think the players with such a lead might throw part of the game to allow the opposition to creep in a bit... just to pour more salt in the wound. Maximise one's achievements per game.

Seems like it would be a good way to make rookies stand out a bit more.