Based On A True* Story

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Based On A True* Story

Two mushy biopics, one fall season, what's the worst that could happen?

Read Full Article

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Jobs is played up for drama. Here is some information from the guys who were there. [http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/early-apple-employees-talk-memories-of-steve-jobs-new-movie/]

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Zero Serenity said:
Jobs is played up for drama. Here is some information from the guys who were there. [http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/early-apple-employees-talk-memories-of-steve-jobs-new-movie/]
Thanks for the link. My favorite bit was:

"Bill Fernandez: It seems to me that there?s a lot of fan fiction about Apple Computer and about Steve Jobs, and I think that this is the biggest, flashiest piece of fan fiction that there?s been to date."

FilmDude89

Jan 6, 2013
I'll admit straight up that I really like Apple products, in fact Macs are my preferred computer for general use and content consumption.. I have an iPad and an Apple TV as well. You could probably assume I'm an apple fan boy by hearing the list of Apple products I own. But to be honest I'm not.. I just like good tech and I will never, EVER understand the cult mentality and downright deification of Steve Jobs.

Needless to say I have absolutely zero interest in watching Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs'.

Great read MovieBob.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Wait! You got something against "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me?"! Its one of my favorite things on NPR!

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Looks like they were trying to pull a citizen kane by taking a real person (hearst/jobs) and changing him as needed to make for a better movie (although obviously not nearly as successfully).

I wonder why the creative liberties and lies in Jobs (like not mentioning xerox) piss us off so much but in older movie classics we just don't care?

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
It's a safe bet i won't be going to Jobs then i rather violently detest the beatification of people who were pretty cuntish in reality. Especially someone who in the grand scheme of things didn't do anything of worth.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
There's some grammatical errors and a period where there should be a comma in the last paragraph on page 2.

Agree with the general substance of the review, though.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I love Pirates of Silicon Valley, that movie definitely needs more love. And most of the principals have said it's pretty accurate on the major events, even though a lot of dramatic license was taken. My favourite scene:

Who needs to see Jobs after that?

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
Glad you pointed out Pirates of Silicon Valley. I'm surprised and then at the same time not surprised by the lack of mention of Xerox in this movie.

Side note, what was the point at taking a shot at Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me?

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
Steve Jobs is one of the worst human beings who ever lived that didn't end up killing people. Any movie about him should be a cautionary tale on why we're better off.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I like how Bob has this Oscar-season stuff down to a formula now. I almost forgot about Pirates of Silicon Valley until I first saw the trailer for Jobs, but now the scene from that movie that sticks out was Bill Gates' appearance on a big video screen behind the stage Steve Jobs was standing on. From what I hear about Jobs, Kutcher's portrayal is pretty flat compared to they got to play Wozniak (the fun Steve).

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Two things:

1) Your description of Jobs makes it sound like a so-bad-it's-hilarious comedy, which means I HAVE to see it so I can bathe in the tears of Apple Fanboys like Osama bin Laden at a Catholic old ladies' screening of The Passion.

2) I had never heard of Pirates of Silicon Valley before, but now I have, and thank you so much.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Living_Brain said:
Does Bill Gates have a touching story to be made into a movie when he dies?
Eccentric nerd villified for two decades by popular-culture as some kind of evil creep (mostly for not being as superficially "cool" as Steve Jobs) none the less ultimately becomes world-class philanthropist, devoting his unimaginably large fortune toward world peace, environmental activism and curing deadly diseases? I imagine there's a narrative in there, somewhere :)

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Making a movie about Jobs is such a waste of money. The man was an absolute **** and I'm still hearing stories at work from people who worked or work in the Apple plant a small bit away from my work place about how everyone would be pissing themselves in terror whenever he'd visit for fear of him spontaneously firing random people for the most inane bullshit. As an example, he was going into a lift when an employee came out and the employee had his name badge attached to his belt instead of around his neck.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
MovieBob said:
Living_Brain said:
Eccentric nerd villified for two decades by popular-culture as some kind of evil creep (mostly for not being as superficially "cool" as Steve Jobs) none the less ultimately becomes world-class philanthropist, devoting his unimaginably large fortune toward world peace, environmental activism and curing deadly diseases? I imagine there's a narrative in there, somewhere :)
Hey everyone! What this guy said!

My hatred for Steve Jobs is quite large, even though a lot of it is directed at Apple themselves. I think he was a horrible person who wasn't as 'visionary' as people think.

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
Megacherv said:
MovieBob said:
Living_Brain said:
Hey everyone! What this guy said!

My hatred for Steve Jobs is quite large, even though a lot of it is directed at Apple themselves. I think he was a horrible person who wasn't as 'visionary' as people think.
These comments here sum up pretty much everything that needs to be said on this topic.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Jobs was a terrible human being and a bully. In another era hed have been a cult leader and have caused far more harm.

Im not viewing any fan boy masterbation matterial about that toad.