Batman: Arkham Asylum Batarang Fails to Impress

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Batman: Arkham Asylum Batarang Fails to Impress

Batman: Arkham Asylum [http://www.batmanarkhamasylum.com/] is a hit in all ways but one: The Collector's Edition Batarang is a cheap piece of crap.

A lot of eyes lit up when Eidos announced that the Collector's Edition of Batman: Arkham Asylum would include a full-sized Batarang [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90200-Get-Your-Very-Own-Batarang-With-the-Arkham-Asylum-CE]. The $100 price tag threw a bit of cold water on the news, but hey, it's a Batarang!

Except it's not really a Batarang at all, it's a cheap hunk of badly-scratched, molded plastic glued to a stand. The scratches are apparently intentional, to give it a degree of authenticity by making it look as though the Caped Crusader himself has used it extensively in his never-ending war against crime; unfortunately, as one observer Ars Technica [http://boards.ign.com/batman/b5456/184288515/p1/?13] noted that some of the scratches actually reveal white plastic underneath.

Perhaps even more disappointing, it can't actually be removed from the stand without breaking something. Not that you'd necessarily want to use it to fight crime with but let's be honest here: No nerd in good standing wants a Batarang he can't pick up and wave around every now and then.

Complaints have started to pop up across the internet, including on the official Eidos forums, where at least one user is trying to drum up support [http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=93918] for a refund or replacement. The problem, of course, is that once the box is opened and it's discovered that the Batarang isn't quite up to snuff, any opportunity to take it back is gone because retailers, by and large, won't accept returns on opened software.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if the Collector's Edition was priced $10 more than the standard release, but for a $40 hike it tends to sting a bit. Opinions will vary, of course, and you may be more or less satisfied with it than the next guy. Bottom line is this: If you're not 100 percent sure that you want this thing, check it out in the store before you cart the box home. You might save yourself a few bucks.

(Image courtesy Ars Technica.)

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
well.... people should know it wouldn't be that good.. i doubt i'll even get the game though, so, i can't comment. bad edios, bad.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
In Eidos eyes it worked as a cash in. And it worked cause people bought the obvious cash in. So you deserve that piece of plastic.

YOU FOOLS!​

May this be a lesson.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
eoin90210 said:
Well that, along with MW2 has crushed my dream of fighting crime in the dark
Haha, the Ultimate Collector edition combination!

This yet again proves that Special editions are not worth it!

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Shapsters said:
eoin90210 said:
Well that, along with MW2 has crushed my dream of fighting crime in the dark
Haha, the Ultimate Collector edition combination!

This yet again proves that Special editions are not worth it!
Tell that to my cat who still has a crink in her neck

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I LOVE Eidos! After the debacles of Kane and Lynch and Tomb Raider: Underworld they finally put out a decent title... and they still manage to screw something up by making a cheap ass collectors item.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
I LOVE Eidos! After the debacles of Kane and Lynch and Tomb Raider: Underworld they finally put out a decent title... and they still manage to screw something up by making a cheap ass collectors item.
They never cease to underwhelm me

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Credge said:
This just in: Collectors editions are never worth it.
My pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition (UK exclusive bitches) frowns upon your shenanigans.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
In the UK retailers have to give you a refund if you take it back. The law is very vague in that it says anything to be refunded must be brought back in reasonable time, without defining reasonable time. Trading standard are not be impressed to hear refunds refused after 24 hours on videogames, even pc games.

It's always worked for me just to be stubborn but polite, managers quickly cave in if you refuse to go away.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Amnestic said:
Credge said:
This just in: Collectors editions are never worth it.
My pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition (UK exclusive bitches) frowns upon your shenanigans.
Wait till you find out that the action figure comes broken.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
And people complained that the Batarang from CE is too dangerous for a toy...

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Sucks that great developers like Rocksteady get their game's image tarnished by shitty publishers like Eidos.