Batman Arkham City Review

RARbuddha

Jun 7, 2010
why...why...why do i have to watch an ad for a game im trying to watch a review for?...oh well.

OT: nice review, not surprised it was fun. i am a touch disappointed that the catwoman DLC is an important part of the story. oh, well this wont change their idea to include such DLC.

Dec 14, 2009
This is a great game. So much atmosphere. I think I must have spent a good amount of time just cruising around the island, overhearing conversations.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I actually don't think the story and script were all that good. Luckily the gameplay was so stellar and tightly designed that it more than made up for the shortcomings.

Sep 14, 2009
man that looks amazing, i can't wait to just check out the whole city..

*shakes fist at wallet*

ugh..i took a hit for pre ordering skyrim/uncharted 3 for 47 bucks instead of 60, so i'll get this as soon as i have extra cash laying around.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Wait, Treyarch made Spiderman 2?

*Google*

*sometime later* That seems like a gross misuse by Activision, making them develop CoD games when they could be making games as awesome as that one.

Although, I guess we wouldn't get Nazi Zombies, then...

OT: Can't say I'm surprised. Rocksteady seems to be starting their company history off right.

Aug 1, 2010
THANK YOU!!!

FINALLY a reviewer who admits that the plot was a bit of a mess with no clear villain. I was starting to think I was the only sane person left...

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
This game is superb, great review, Steve. The gameplay is solid, and the exploration is definitely a plus over Arkham Asylum. I would rank the game high on 2011's "must play" list for anybody, regardless of your tastes; it is that good.

...that being said, the main overarching plot that the game constantly shoves in front of you, particularly toward the end of the game, leaves much to be desired. There were points where I had no clue what was going on, and when I did, they only made me scratch my head. I can't help but feel...disappointed with how the game ended. It's a shame, really, because the gameplay is so much darn fun.

[sub]Exactly how does a steel grate hold back a powerhouse like Bane?[/sub]

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Z of the Na said:
Ha! Justin said the same thing when we were capturing footage for the review!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
My only complaint is that I expected the campaign to be a little longer. Everything else I love.

Z of the Na said:
You know what part of the plot confused me the most?

There was one vial of serum left. Batman took half, then it smashed... so, what about all the folks the Joker poisoned? Are they dead now, or what?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Sparrow said:

There was one vial of serum left. Batman took half, then it smashed... so, what about all the folks the Joker poisoned? Are they dead now, or what?
Alfred tells you that Lucius Fox has nailed the formula and is shipping it out to Gotham's hospitals.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Eh, I thought the story was good, but even if you didn't like it everything else made the game what it was, a great game

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I thought that the main quest was either too short, or made me feel too rushed. Either way, I got done in two days, and now that it's over, I really don't care about any of the side missions I didn't think Batman would have had time for. I mean, you're fighting IN A PRISON. What are you gonna do when you actually find the bad guys?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
You don't need to tell me twice that I really should get this game as soon as possible (or at least as soon as it gets released for PC).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Sparrow said:

Alfred tells you that Lucius Fox has nailed the formula and is shipping it out to Gotham's hospitals.
What the Mad Hatter wanted you to believe, though?

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I thought that the main quest was either too short, or made me feel too rushed. Either way, I got done in two days, and now that it's over, I really don't care about any of the side missions I didn't think Batman would have had time for. I mean, you're fighting IN A PRISON. What are you gonna do when you actually find the bad guys?
You really should do those, they are good enough to be included in the main story, and they all involve a big batman villain

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
I'm currently playing it again on Game+.

I thought it would be exactly the same since I have all my gadgets and upgrades, boy was I wrong. Having to watch out when to counter yourself is a sudden change without the counter blinker thingy.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
I haven't played the game yet (although I intend to eventually - no spoilers please guys), but this Catwoman DLC issue is starting to rub me up the wrong way.

I was justifying it to myself by imagining that the Catwoman sections would just be random side-missions with no bearing on the game as a whole. But are you saying in your review that her sections are fairly integral to the plot? Essential even?

Then why aren't they in the game proper?

Whilst I'm 100% behind the use of DLC for dispensing extra content, this use of DLC as a blunt paywall to discourage 2nd-hand sales seems like a bit of a dick move by the publisher, and one that especially targets families with a low or fluctuating income.

There's a lot of pressure put on parents by their kids at Christmas for the latest game, and Arkham City will be on a lot of lists. I doubt stores will be slapping signs on their 2nd-hand copies saying 'WARNING! CONTAINS ONLY 9/10ths OF A GAME', and many parents may simply go for the cheaper option, not knowing the difference. But their kids will [cue tantrum].

Less hypothetically, by designating the Catwoman parts as DLC the publishers are diminishing their own product - never a good move.

And surely a carrot is better than a stick for leading consumers in the entertainment industry anyway?

I just can't get my head around the strategy of it; I really do hope this is not the future for the marketing of games...