Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch Arrives - Update

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Battenberg said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Uh huh. What internet are you on? My internet has it at an 8.5 average for XB1 and 8.7 for PS4. Is high 8s average now? Fucking hell.
You're getting a little worked up there. I like how you ignored the user scores of 6.0 and 7.2, hardly glowing stuff. As far as the critics go if you want to trust all the sites/ magazines who gave it a high score you're welcome to. Personally I'm more interested in the opinions of individual reviewers I can trust like Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, and Total Biscuit (all of whom felt the game fell short by a long way).
I assume you guys are referring to Metacritic user scores? Batman: Arkham Knight's problems have been pretty thoroughly outlined by many people.

Games on console also tend to be judged less harshly than the same games on PC, because the PC platform has so much more competition. Halo on Xbox is at 97/8.6 while Halo on PC is at 83/7.3.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
I'm not gonna hold my breath. They've been saying the PC patch would be ready any day now since late July. I'll consider it "fixed" when they re-release it on Steam.

That said, I'm not sure why I'm complaining. I played it launch week on my PC with minimal performance issues, even if the game itself was pretty unspectacular. I just wish they'd re-launch it so I can see if any of the DLC is worth a damn.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Battenberg said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Battenberg said:
Holy popsicles you mean that game that people bought over 2 months ago is almost to the point where it's in a playable state?! The one that got fairly average reviews on the platforms it actually worked on?!!?!

Ok. I'll just be over here playing any one of the 500 or so PC games I have that were functional from day 1.
Uh huh. What internet are you on? My internet has it at an 8.5 average for XB1 and 8.7 for PS4. Is high 8s average now? Fucking hell.
You're getting a little worked up there. I like how you ignored the user scores of 6.0 and 7.2, hardly glowing stuff. As far as the critics go if you want to trust all the sites/ magazines who gave it a high score you're welcome to. Personally I'm more interested in the opinions of individual reviewers I can trust like Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, and Total Biscuit (all of whom felt the game fell short by a long way).
I'm not getting worked up. In fact I'm actually more bemused.

User Reviews are worth shit. People who hate the games tank the the scores with unfair and throwaway low scores (look me in the eye and say the game is really worth a 4 or a 0). A metric out of 10 only works when people rate it responsibly. Piling 10's and 0's might also work, by effectively making it a like or dislike. But when people are giving a game every number between 0 and 10 something goes wrong.

You don't like the batmobile, think the story is trite, the gameplay is tired and so on... a 5 or 6 would be fair. The game's production qualities should elevate over simple tripe. If it's broken, as it is on the PC, a sub 5 can be understandable, especially when forking over 70+ bucks for the game.

Angry Joe defends the game for x and y reasons, but his final score is skewed to the negative due to the problems on the PC platform as well as a poorly executed Batmobile. Which is completely justified. Jim reviewed the game and gave it a five, primarily concerned with the technical issues marring the PC experience and showing bitterness about WBs DLC policy taking precedence over a functional game. TBs review I didn't look at (did he even do a review, or just report on the state of its release?), but I'm guessing him being a big PC gamer he was particularly harsh on the state of its release as well as the state of the industry that allows for this shit to happen.

All of which, is perfectly justified. I completely agree with all of them (probably even TB, I often do). But that's because WB took a massive shit on PC gaming and gamers with that release.

The Console Version, which you claimed only got average reviews, but I showed otherwise, and then you disputed that point with User Reviews and I was like *LOL*, is actually in pretty good shape. It's not the series best entry, but its not its worst. Some things worked really well, others didn't work well at all.

297 positives vs 70 averages vs 70 negatives on Metacritic for PS4. 58 positives vs 23 average vs 14 negative XB1.

Aggregating user reviews is a broken concept (so is aggregating Professional reviews, but for different reasons), but looking at the numbers there are vastly more satisfied consumers then there are dissatisfied (average reviews can swing either way, depending on the context the reviewer puts the score in).

And do I care? Not really. I might pick the game up when its on a massive sale in a few years with all (or most) DLC attached. WB lost my trust when they released the game on PC in such a state. So don't think I'm defending them or Rocksteady.

Also, don't think I'm trying to change your mind. Your right... there are tons of other functional games out there that are as good as if not better then Arkham Knight. The only thing I'm critical of is people convincing themselves of something that is demonstrably false. It would be nice if WB suffered for their shitty practices, but the reality paints a different story. A decent game getting marred by corporate incompetence and bullshit.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Well I've finished the main game and got over half the riddler trophies, but... yay patch (and probably DLC I already paid for!)

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
People paid $70 bucks for Batman early access and this "patch" looks like version 1.0.

Carzinex

Mar 29, 2011
I was looking forward to getting it, especially as it came out during a bit of a drought for games i like, but now. Just the start of September and ive already got a backlog of MGV and Mad max that should take me through to October on top of a few DLC's coming out that im pumped for. Then October is expansion to SWTOR then November is fallout 4.

I may squeeze you in batman, but im not going to go out my way.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A quick glance at the system requirements reveals that I'm juuuuuust below the minimum spec (on video card, natch.) Maybe when I build a new system in 2016, I'll give it a look. (It will probably have dropped in price by then, anyway.) I don't hold the crap port against Rocksteady; it sounded like the game itself was pretty good.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
You know, as big of a failure as this is on WB's part, I have to admit something. If they had given the developers time to produce a proper PC port and delayed its release on that platform until it was finished, we'd all be mocking them, saying that they were spending the time cooking up some new form of bullshit DRM or delaying it artificially to encourage people to buy the console versions instead because they're getting bribed by Microsoft and Sony to do so or paranoid that people will just pirate it. We wouldn't dare admit that maybe it actually takes time to make a game work properly on a platform where no two machines are alike and one has to try to accommodate every possible configuration. And I do mean "we", because I am personally guilty of doing this in the past. Sure, it would be nice if every version of the game were delayed purely in the interest of fairness... and it'd also be nice if money rained down from the sky and none of us ever had to work for a living again.

So you know... maybe at least keep that in mind the next time a PC port gets delayed.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
wow totally forgot about arkham knight makes me glad i didnt buy it and probably wont bother with it

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think those who were burned, will be hesitant to buy until sources they trust report that the game is indeed playable before they re-buy it. If their trust isn't gone too.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Oh, look, a 2 month old game is finally playable. Looks like were right on time again, Ubisoft. Wait, this is not Ubisoft....

Ragsnstitches said:
User Reviews are worth shit. People who hate the games tank the the scores with unfair and throwaway low scores (look me in the eye and say the game is really worth a 4 or a 0). A metric out of 10 only works when people rate it responsibly. Piling 10's and 0's might also work, by effectively making it a like or dislike. But when people are giving a game every number between 0 and 10 something goes wrong.

You don't like the batmobile, think the story is trite, the gameplay is tired and so on... a 5 or 6 would be fair. The game's production qualities should elevate over simple tripe. If it's broken, as it is on the PC, a sub 5 can be understandable, especially when forking over 70+ bucks for the game.
Currently the game is worth 0 as it is literally unplayable. From what i saw on youtube videos, the game seems to be a boring rehash of the previuos game with a bat-tank added that has to be the most boring mechanic in batman games ive seen yet. It is DEFINATELLY not worth above a 6 even if it didnt have the issues.

However, modern reviewers seem to use this scale instead:

So yes, your scored mentioned earlier is average because reviewers overblow scores to no end.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Luckily I managed to get Arkham Knight for free when I upgraded my graphic card. Didn't have to pay a cent. I suppose I dodged one hell of a bullet.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Nooners said:
Aaaaaaand there goes my interest in one of my two most anticipated games of 2015. Got what I needed out of a Yogscast LP, so now all I have to do is wait for Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Woah, woah... Let me stop you there...

There's a goddamn Numenara-based videogame coming out? Like, with the three stats and effort and shit? Batman can go fuck himself... This is what I'm interested in.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
BeerTent said:
Nooners said:
Aaaaaaand there goes my interest in one of my two most anticipated games of 2015. Got what I needed out of a Yogscast LP, so now all I have to do is wait for Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Woah, woah... Let me stop you there...

There's a goddamn Numenara-based videogame coming out? Like, with the three stats and effort and shit? Batman can go fuck himself... This is what I'm interested in.
Uh, yup. It's billed as a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment, which I never played (too young at the time, no time for it now) but everyone apparantly loves. So yeah, here's a link, go have fun:

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is that they've taken so long to fix it I no longer care. My interest in playing it has long since vanished and I keep forgetting I even have it. Thing is, I was one of the lucky few that didn't actually have performance issues, the game ran fine. It was just all the missing graphical features that bothered me, I wanted to wait and play it and get the experience intended. Now I just can't be bothered.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Oh hey, that's cool.

Maybe you should have released it more than 2 months ago when I might have cared.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Thing is, its /still/ not well optimized. Given I could run GTA 5 with most of the settings maxed out (my 2GB 960 prevents me from putting textures on max) and with only 4GB of RAM (Yes I have 8 now) flawlessly, AK is still only playable on absolute minimum. AK is nowhere near as pretty, large, complex or has any reason to be so demanding.

Granted, GTA 5 seems to have witchcraft powering its optimization, as the minimum requirements for that game are a Intel 2 QUad CPU, 4GB RAM and a 9800 GT.