Batman: Arkham Knight Pulled From Steam Until Issues Are Resolved

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Seems like some companies want to make some easy earned money with our hard earned money. A big 'fuck you' to EA, Ubisoft, WB and the likes, from me. And they wonder why people pirate their games. Demos are free and these guys' games are usually no more than demos on release day.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
silasbufu said:
Seems like some companies want to make some easy earned money with our hard earned money. A big 'fuck you' to EA, Ubisoft, WB and the likes, from me. And they wonder why people pirate their games. Demos are free and these guys' games are usually no more than demos on release day.
It's amusing because I was sold on the original Arkham Asylum from the strength of the demo which came out before the game was released.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
Neat. After all of this time complaining and complaining about games being released in a sorry state, we, as customers, can finally do something about it. Personally, I am having a fairly decent time with Arkham Knight, only experiencing frame drops during Batmobile sequences, but nowhere near bad enough for me to consider a refund. That being said, though, with a big enough game like Arkham Knight effectively being a flop on PC because of refunds, I am certainly scared that developers will be reluctant to make a PC port.
if they consider there port shit enough to see refunds as a threat, Do we want it in the first place?

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Clive Howlitzer said:
I wonder if Steam will offer refunds outside the usual 2 hours for this game. They should do so if you ask me.
According to the FAQ, Steam will consider all refund offers. The 2 hour playtime ensures an automatic refund (unless you're somehow abusing the system). But if your reason is good enough (and, again, you're not abusing the system) there's still a good chance you'll get the refund.
Asuterisuku said:
This game should never have been outsourced. Rockstead have already proven themselves as competent on the PC platform between their rock-solid releases of Arkham Asylum and City.
I don't know about Arkham Asylum, but I distinctly remember a lot of people having stuttering and sound issues with City on release, and a lot of people being disappointed with it. I wouldn't know myself though.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It's good that they are doing this, taking responsibility, some other companies (EA) could learn from their example.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I can only guess that many people have requested refunds. Good on you PC gamers. Before when companies released some messed up game they could ignore their consumers and say they will release a patch one day next week. Or be even lazier and wait for a modder to fix things for them. Not anymore. Now people will say "well done for taking responsibility" but i call bullshit on that. They gave crappy advice last night to fix things and now having lost money on refunds they have no choice but to act.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Who is responsible for choosing to outsource? The developer or publisher? Or it it dependent?
Origins got outsourced for development - buggy broken mess on launch.
Arkham Knight PC port got outsourced - buggy broken mess on launch.

Can non-Rocksteady humans not handle Rocksteady code?

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Xsjadoblayde said:
Who is responsible for choosing to outsource? The developer or publisher? Or it it dependent?

Can non-Rocksteady humans not handle Rocksteady code?
Maybe? I'd also imagine that there was not much time or support given to Iron Galaxy, who supposedly worked on the port. I honestly doubt that they had a ton of time, and probably told upper management that it wasn't ready but weren't listened too. They're not exceptionally large, and have been working full stop on KI Season 2 up until recently as well, so they weren't even full staff.

That, and Dave Lang was probably too busy with stuff in the past couple months to pay attention. Like helping to organize Combobreaker, and probably a lot of losing at Divekick.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:

C0an non-Rocksteady humans not handle Rocksteady code?
I played Arkham Origins at launch. It had a buggy launch (damn that radio tower air vent!), but comparing it to the disaster that Arkham Knight's launch has been is like comparing a fender-bender to the Hindenburg.

plus2exp

Aug 31, 2011
I can only assume that a massive amount of customers requested refunds which caused all of the big wigs at Warner Bros to collectively shit their pants at the same time. I seem to be one of the lucky few who isn't experiencing any technical issues with the game. (My PC is pretty beefy.) But I feel the pain of those who are. The game is quite fun.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
SeventhSigil said:
Sooooo, from what little I have pieced together on the Internet, it sounds like the PC version wasn't ported by Rocksteady themselves- presumably they were focusing on the console versions- but instead got passed on to some other developer. Similarly, accounts suggest that the console versions are actually really solid, perform as well as can be expected on the hardware, etc. Hell, I think Digital Foundry called the PS4 version a 'tour de force' or something, so the actual base game doesn't seem to be shit so much as the porting job that this external studio did in bringing it to PC. Something that, BARE minimum, you'd think Warner Brothers or Rocksteady (whoever this external studio was reporting to) would have noticed before launch, even if just before.

Which brings me to the question... why the hell didn't they delay the PC version?!
The answer is probably just:

They thought they could get away with it.

And if that's true then it's highly likely that the fact refund policies have just been introduced about 2 weeks ago has a massive influence on explaining why they weren't able to get away with it to such a degree that they've voluntarily removed the game from circulation on the largest online store.

Kinda makes me wonder how the developers responses would have differed to the Simcity, Battlefield 4 and Diablo 3 releases had we had the refund policies in place for them?

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Must be the only one, but I've put a solid 2-3hrs into the game and haven't hit any issues so far...
Running it on a GTX970 I installed specifically for the game as well :)

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Well its interesting to say the least. But from the general information given out, WB/Rocksteady made a big mistake in outsourcing the PC port. Hopefully this is a wake up call to dev's and publishers alike that QA practices are in dire straits and need to be held in higher regard. Game testing has declined for the last 15 years and it really needs a makeover from almost every major AAA publisher out there.

*SNIP*
I feel like far too many companies these days see "Early Access" as QA where people will pay them instead of them having to pay actual testers. It's a middle-manager's wet dream. I am truly delighted to see a big company like WB become the first major example of Steam's new refund system being a truly good force for the consumer. All the people who have said that Steam should not give refunds don't have any room to stand on here.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
SeventhSigil said:
Which brings me to the question... why the hell didn't they delay the PC version?!
A complete and total lack of QA on PC. Microsoft and Sony QA all new releases and patches for games that come to XB1 and PS4, and in most cases theres no one doing this for PC other than the players themselves.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
subskipper said:
I worry shit like this might give publishers the idea that PC just isn't worth the hassle. Dropping the PC as a platform completely to mitigate the cost of porting from consoles and just focus on the segment that is less of a hassle. One possible downside of the new refund system (which I love btw!).
I agree to a point, but refunds can stop companies releasing crap. On consoles we have had that ability to get refunds on games. All the way back to Atari. Im sure you could get refunds on PC games when you bought them on disc. I think refunds will stop companies porting crap and unfinished games. They will wait and fix them properly instead of releasing early and patching later because they want to start making money.

subskipper

Sep 5, 2014
SonOfVoorhees said:
subskipper said:
I worry shit like this might give publishers the idea that PC just isn't worth the hassle. Dropping the PC as a platform completely to mitigate the cost of porting from consoles and just focus on the segment that is less of a hassle. One possible downside of the new refund system (which I love btw!).
I agree to a point, but refunds can stop companies releasing crap. On consoles we have had that ability to get refunds on games. All the way back to Atari. Im sure you could get refunds on PC games when you bought them on disc. I think refunds will stop companies porting crap and unfinished games. They will wait and fix them properly instead of releasing early and patching later because they want to start making money.
Yeah, I suppose it all comes down to how big the PC cake is. If it's not too small and not significantly larger than the cost of doing what WB has done now, pull the game and fix it (hopefully) we might see publishers straighten up and focus more on the PC version. Otherwise they might consider the winnings too small to be worth the hassle.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I still haven't even installed it. The download on Steam has restarted from scratch for me twice around the 24GB mark. I heard also from a friend today that apparently the game is also missing graphical features that are on the console versions.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
General Torg said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
I wonder if Steam will offer refunds outside the usual 2 hours for this game. They should do so if you ask me.
Does it take longer than two hours fore people run into problems?
It took me 8 minutes to see it was broken.
Incidentally, it took Steam less than an hour to approve my refund request. I guess they are in full automatic mode now.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
Neat. After all of this time complaining and complaining about games being released in a sorry state, we, as customers, can finally do something about it. Personally, I am having a fairly decent time with Arkham Knight, only experiencing frame drops during Batmobile sequences, but nowhere near bad enough for me to consider a refund. That being said, though, with a big enough game like Arkham Knight effectively being a flop on PC because of refunds, I am certainly scared that developers will be reluctant to make a PC port.
If they are no longer going to release a PC version of their game because people are asking for refunds I think they are just looking for an excuse to leave the platform. Many people over the years have been burned by one game or another and stopped buying when a game is new, my final straw was Fallout: New Vegas. Many things impact negative sales and even if a publisher might not have to worry about the current game if a game is negatively received because of it being labeled as broken the next game will suffer. This even happened with Assassin's Creed because of how badly people thought of Assassin's Creed 3 it caused Black Flag to have less sales during its launch and it picked up when word of mouth about how good it was got around and I fully expect a similar trend with the next Assassin's Creed game.

If you look at EA, they haven't stopped PC releases of their games with their Great Game Guarantee. I even think it was added because of all the issues around SimCity for it was only months after that disaster they started the program. To me this makes me think the idea is they will have more customers trying their products because if there is something wrong they have the option to get their money back over not bothering to even try.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
And thus begins the next downfall of PC Gaming. Ports are no longer going to be common. Wheeeee.

It's probably just as well that I'm starting to fall out of the gaming scene.