Batman: Arkham Knight

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010

The picture you see above is a banner that's supposed to be sent to various stores and not be to shown until tomorrow but got leaked anyway.

Bleeding Cool seem to have confirmed that the new Batman video game will be called Batman: Arkham Knight
the official announcement of that during tomorrow's DC: All Access show (teaser below)
We'll there you have it folks, a new Arkham game will be coming and its gonna be officially called Batman: Arkham Knight.

As much as I like the Arkham series (with the exception of Origins) can they make game about anyone but Batman? I mean to me he's like the only character in the DC universe.

Anyway, hopefully this is the game that is reported that Rocksteady and Kevin Conroy will be returning.

So what do you think?

For me,hopefully less bugs and better story than the last one.

source article [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=95458]

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Hmmmm! A new Arkham game with Rocksteady at the helm and at least some of the original voice cast would be very awesome indeed. But where exactly could they go, plotwise? The first two games were pretty much a self-contained story and although I haven't played Origins, it was, well, an origin story that presumably also wrapped itself up at the end.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I actually really enjoyed the story of Origins apart from the over reliance on Bane.

Everything else was pretty good, it had a more Aslyum feel with the longg dungeons, it's just a shame there were a few bugs and the story all went back to "joker did it".

Guessing this one will continue the story after City and be based around Azrael's prophecy he gives you in City, with lots of Hush too.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Kinda figured they'd use Arkham Knight at some point. I hypothesise that future sequels will include Arkham Fall, Arkham Future, Arkham Rising and Arkham Shadow.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'm glad that Rocksteady are apparently behind the wheel again, but I get the feeling that WB will be trying to turn this into a yearly franchise. That worries me, Asylum and City are two of my favourite games and I don't want the series getting saturated with subpar games from less talented studios in between.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Dragonlayer said:
But where exactly could they go, plotwise?
Personally, I think that a lot of the things that take place by the end of AC left some pretty promising threads open. You've got the Riddler (maybe it's narcissism, but he's definitely my pick for main villain now that they can't go back to the Joker again), Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and Azrael. You've got a massive power vacuum caused by the death of the Joker. That's gonna affect street crime in interesting ways. If Rocksteady plays its cards right, I think they can make it work. :)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I wish Rocksteady were making a new game instead of a Batman one. The best thing about Arkham Asylum was the way they built a game ground up to support one central idea. And it created something amazing. But watching people rehash those some gameplay touches and mechanics to do the one idea again has got boring now. I was hoping that the guys who made Arkham Origins would make a sequel (they've got the experience now to make a great one) and Rocksteady themselves were being used to create a new franchise (or even superhero spin-off) for WB.

Anyway if it has to happen this way, this is the one thing I want them to include in Arkham Knight:

Batman going to sleep.

We've done the 'The Worst Night Of Batmans Life' thing three times now. We've seen the test of mental and physical endurance as he gets worn down over an increasingly chaotic and dangerous time period. Show us something new, show us Bruce Wayne, show us Batman working on long term missions to protect Gotham City. Have us stake out a warehouse one night, retire to the Batcave and then come back the next day to continue investigations. Let us see another side of Batman

ScaredScorpion

Mar 28, 2012
I'd actually like to see a game more similar to asylum than city or origins, because what was so good about that was the restrictions of being in the asylum. That's not to say the new ones haven't improved a few things, but I think asylum has a better atmosphere than the others.

How they could do this? Maybe a nightwing game, since he hasn't been explored and is less tied to gotham which we've already seen a ton of.

BlackJimmy

Jun 13, 2013
If it's a sequel that follows up on Arkham City's many cliffhangers, then I will be a very happy bunny.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TheRiddler said:
Scarecrow
Honestly I think the next main villain might be Scarecrow since he only showed up in little cameos in Arkham City, and based off the message we can get that says that he will return. Other than that we do still have the Riddler as well as other villains.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Dragonlayer said:
Hmmmm! A new Arkham game with Rocksteady at the helm and at least some of the original voice cast would be very awesome indeed. But where exactly could they go, plotwise? The first two games were pretty much a self-contained story and although I haven't played Origins, it was, well, an origin story that presumably also wrapped itself up at the end.
There's certainly some stuff they can do, Harley is likely to take up Jokers mantle in some form, there's Hush and Azrael still on the lose, Azrael in particular left some dangling plot threads in City.

Personally I still want to see Ra's Al Ghul as a main villian in a Rocksteady Game. Yeah I know he was in City, but that version was naff. I want the one from the animated series voiced by David Fucking Warner. Though realisticly I'm expecting some influence from the No Mans Land story, considering what Azrael said in City.

It also alleviates the fact that they want the Batmobile in the game, but players, myself included can't be trusted to A: Not ramraid every innocent driver they see off the road because they're in the GOD DAMN BATMOBILE and B: Drive Safely or well enough for that not to just happen anyway.

This is Batman, he's not going to be ramming every car he sees off the road, and unless you implement something like in Assassins Creed where if you murder too many civis you get game over, which is going to royally piss people off. Ergo, I see there being very little traffic or pedestrians, yet again.

BrotherRool said:
Anyway if it has to happen this way, this is the one thing I want them to include in Arkham Knight:

Batman going to sleep.

We've done the 'The Worst Night Of Batmans Life' thing three times now. We've seen the test of mental and physical endurance as he gets worn down over an increasingly chaotic and dangerous time period. Show us something new, show us Bruce Wayne, show us Batman working on long term missions to protect Gotham City. Have us stake out a warehouse one night, retire to the Batcave and then come back the next day to continue investigations. Let us see another side of Batman
I like this, would make things a lot more interesting if it were somewhat /more/ sandboxy.

Someone else in the last Batman thread came up with the great idea of having you play Bruce Wayne, so you can go stake out companies while you're closing a deal or whatever, get a lie of the building you're going to be breaking into later that night. Have the buildings be able to be snuck into through many different paths. Heck, you could stick down some sort of Bat-tech as Bruce to enable you to bust in through the elevator shaft later that night.

I'd like to see some sort of X-COM style R&D going on too for extra/improved Bat-gadgets, rather than upgrading them through EXP.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
The following trailer was just posted to the official Xbox Twitter account.

It seems to be legit, as it's from the official Xbox YouTube account as well.

Needless to say, for a cinematic, it looks very impressive. No gameplay, but based on where we saw Batman at the end of Arkham City, he seems to be taking an even more brutal way of beating goons to a pulp.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I love the Arkham games. So City was a bit underwhelming by comparison, I'm willing to overlook that if Rocksteady is back at it. Just please don't work the Joker into the game. Make him a flashback boss or something if you absolutely must but tread some new water, please.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
elvor0 said:
It also alleviates the fact that they want the Batmobile in the game, but players, myself included can't be trusted to A: Not ramraid every innocent driver they see off the road because they're in the GOD DAMN BATMOBILE and B: Drive Safely or well enough for that not to just happen anyway.

This is Batman, he's not going to be ramming every car he sees off the road, and unless you implement something like in Assassins Creed where if you murder too many civis you get game over, which is going to royally piss people off. Ergo, I see there being very little traffic or pedestrians, yet again.
You make a good case for that being where they're going, but I'd like them to try and fit more civilians into the game now. It'd be a nice method of reminding the player what Batman's fighting for and they could do some good environmental tells with it (like if you've done enough missions in an area the civilains are able to walk around more freely. If the bad guys are upping the game in the plot you can see thugs wandering the streets where there used to be pedestrians. I loved the way they did that sort of thing with the guards in Asylum)

Maybe they could try the Driver method where the pedestrians were programmed so that they would always successfully jump out of the way of cars? I don't know how that would look with modern graphics
Z of the Na said:
-snip-
That's quite an interesting voice over. I wonder if the irony was just for comedy or if they're planning on taking that idea somewhere

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Wasn't Arkham city supposed to be the last game? But then Arkham Origins got made, and now there's this game...

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of the Arkham franchise yet.

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
BrotherRool said:
elvor0 said:

You make a good case for that being where they're going, but I'd like them to try and fit more civilians into the game now. It'd be a nice method of reminding the player what Batman's fighting for and they could do some good environmental tells with it (like if you've done enough missions in an area the civilains are able to walk around more freely. If the bad guys are upping the game in the plot you can see thugs wandering the streets where there used to be pedestrians. I loved the way they did that sort of thing with the guards in Asylum)

Maybe they could try the Driver method where the pedestrians were programmed so that they would always successfully jump out of the way of cars? I don't know how that would look with modern graphics
Z of the Na said:
-snip-
That's quite an interesting voice over. I wonder if the irony was just for comedy or if they're planning on taking that idea somewhere
Given Rocksteady's track record, I'm betting this game will further deconstruct the idea of Batman and how effective he is at stopping crime, as well as how he has made things better or worse in Gotham.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
No thanks. Three games is enough. I'd be more interested in seeing a Green Arrow game, though. He shares villains with Batman, so the transition would be easy enough, add in some bow mechanics and I think it would make an awesome game.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
That trailer reminds me a lot of this one:

Deceased father talks about honour and whatnot, being a good person, while son in question does things vaguely related yet nevertheless contrasting said speech.

But nitpicking over trailers aside I'm just happy to have Rocksteady working on the next Arkham game. Asylum and City were both amazing games and I'm eager to see what they'll be able to accomplish next, especially seeing as they've had some time to work on it and a whole new generation of hardware is now available for them to work with!

Should be amazing!