Batman: Arkham Titles Glide Over To Steam, With a 75% Sale

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Batman: Arkham Titles Glide Over To Steam, With a 75% Sale

Windows Live is closing down, so the Bat needs to find a new belfry.

Batman is taking his crusade to Steam, as Windows Live closes up shop. Those of you who purchased Batman: Arkham Asylum or Batman: Arkham City via Live will need to transfer your games over to Steam, but the folks at Valve are anxious to make sure your game experience is interrupted as little as possible. You'll lose your game saves, but that's all that you'll lose, and the install process is as simple as clicking a few buttons, agreeing to the ToS, and entering your CD key on Steam.

This applies both to the Basic and the Game of the Year versions of those titles. Speaking of Game of the Year titles, guess what's currently on sale at 75% off on Steam? Arkham City's at the rock bottom price of $7.50, while Asylum's just sitting there at $5. The GotY editions include all the DLC, but this is a weekend deal, so if you want it, better hurry.

There's only one way to end this post [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rebg5YfiBEI].

Source: Valve [http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/announcements#scrollTop=0]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So if I already own it on Steam, the only thing that's changed is the lack of Games For Windows usage, right?

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i've been wanting to go back to arkham city, but my ps3 isn't set up and i sold most of my games too. nice timing for me anywa

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Transfer? I hope this isn't complicated, that brief description in the article gives me some hope but you can never tell on PCs sometimes. Now I hope Capcom Windows Live games free up to.

Karloff said:
There's only one way to end this post [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rebg5YfiBEI].
Youtube's ads really killed the punch and timing of that joke.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm...well I did never get City...and there's a mac port...I'll think about it.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
So if I already own it on Steam, the only thing that's changed is the lack of Games For Windows usage, right?
Pretty much. You just have to be sure to install the GoTY version, instead of the vanilla. You might see both in your library.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Koshok said:
Pretty much. You just have to be sure to install the GoTY version, instead of the vanilla. You might see both in your library.
I only have the GOTY of AA in my library.

This is good to know.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Not quite. Among other things:

• [li]Saves from the GFWL versions are incompatible.[/li]
    [li]They've also ditched SecuROM, so no more activation limit or CD key screen on startup.[/li]
    [li]Steam Achievements[/li]

P.S. Thanks

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Covarr said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Not quite. Among other things:

• [li]Saves from the GFWL versions are incompatible.[/li]
    [li]They've also ditched SecuROM, so no more activation limit or CD key screen on startup.[/li]
    [li]Steam Achievements[/li]

P.S. Thanks
It always had Steam achievements.

Also... my saves are getting deleted again? Well, it's worth it to get rid of GFWL. That's the reason my original save got deleted... seriously, that thing can't disappear soon enough.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Snap buy. Even though I had a physical copy of Asylum, I refused to even install it because of those two pieces of DRM (Steam is enough DRM for me). So now both games, for cheap, without that DRM... and on sale!... sold!

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
For those who want to get their save file back, read this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/810938810549705289/[/Quote#p1

Took me 5 minutes to get back my save file. That's 17 hours worth of playing not gone to waste. Something you should all share with others if they want to get back their progress.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Considering the loss of saves, this is a terrible move on Microsoft's part, mitigated somewhat by the Xbone turn around, if the policies hadn't changed. Everyone who was antsy about relying on servers would have had an example to point to of when the servers shut down, and it would have been one of MS's own services.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yopaz said:
City did. Asylum didn't.

And now that we know that the game saves have vanished from these games but managed to be preserved in BioShock 2, I think we can safely dismiss the theory that the patches were all farmed out to the same third-party QA team, as I'd seen people claiming.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Yopaz said:
City did. Asylum didn't.

And now that we know that the game saves have vanished from these games but managed to be preserved in BioShock 2, I think we can safely dismiss the theory that the patches were all farmed out to the same third-party QA team, as I'd seen people claiming.
Aah, I was under the impression we were discussing City. Also if the saves can still be read then I guess I might be able to recover the one I lost due to GFWL. It didn't delete save files, it just didn't read them... hopefully I didn't replace it...

Thanks for the notice either way!